1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic versus manual?

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by jobell, Jun 7, 2010.

1. jobell

jobell Active Member

I was wondering what the pro's and con's are in relation to choice of transmission. I've been excluding automatic kombis from my kombi search, having always owned and driven manual vehicles, but am now questioning that choice. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Just a different drive.

We have an auto 73 Bay and a manual 74 SC Ute and both are completely different rides.

The auto is great for cruising around the beaches and the SC is also great to drive.

We're lucky to have a choice.

Best tip is to get a reliable VW mechanic who knows their air-cooled engines.

Cheers
    Brett

3. Ray

Ray Member

I bought a '79 micro bus, auto, 2lt fuel injected about 4 years ago. Seemed to be running great, but one colder morning I noticed it slipped a bit changing up to second gear. Coming back from Brisbane about a week later the auto fluid came out the dip stick and covered the engine, little bit smokey when I pulled up in the driveway! I took in straight into Russells Automatics and he gave me the bad news that it needed a rebuild. $2200 later it runs great again, that was about 2 years ago.

I like the way the auto runs, obviously you can run a manual out a bit further in the gears. My auto changes at 30kms and then at 60kms even if you have your foot to the floor it only changes at about 70kms. The guys at the automatic place say that this is set to the required specs for a VW auto, but the guys at Gold Coast VW dub reckon that it should run out to 80 or 90kms with the foot down? Not sure which expert is right? Anyway I'm very happy with the way it runs now, the auto is a pleasure to drive.

Hope this helps.

4. jobell

jobell Active Member

Thanks Ray and Brett- Anything which makes the bus easier to drive would be a plus! Whilst I'm keen to take the plunge back into kombi ownership it's going to be a bit of a change from driving my current car (2005 Toyota RAV4).

The thing is, the current car isn't one I can camp in, and thus, is not suitable for taking off around Australia, and I've always dreamed of doing the trip in a kombi. Would a manual facilitate access into more awkward driving locations - dirt roads and awkward spots in campgrounds and the like?

Years ago I remember negotiating a dirt road into the back of the Budawangs (near Braidwood) in our kombi at the time, no other vehicles in sight. We exited after a bushwalk several days later to find that our's was the only vehicle the full distance along the road, most had given up and stopped and parked. The higher clearance under the bus had helped our access, and whilst I don't intend to do anything too exotic, I'd still like to access some back roads and off-the-beaten-tracks locations as much as the kombi will allow.

5. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I drive a 74 auto camper as my daily driver and love it, the only negative is it is not as powerful up hills as a manual.
    The auto makes around town driving so much easier, I guess it boils down to personal choice.

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

odd. My 73 auto changes at 45-50 and 70-78 if foot is to the floor.

7. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

if i was to buy another new car it would be an auto for sure BUT i prefer my older cars to be manual. Nothing beats the feeling of driving a stick shift, missing / crunching gears, stalling at the lights, hill starts etc etc......all part of driving an old car

8. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I will get the pleasure of all that when the split is on the road.

9. jobell

jobell Active Member

Hmmmm... sounds suspiciously like a long term love affair with kombis means ending up owning more than one. How terrible. :)