1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awning Reviews

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by jangle63, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Doody

Doody Member

Any chance of a pic showing it with the pop top up? Obviously the supplied poles much reach this high?

It looks like what I have been looking for.

I see you mounted straight into the fibreglass. Any tips there ?

Thanks

Doody

2. groovq

groovq Member

heres ours.... An Outwell Country Road. from justkampers australia.
    Went really well at the bluesFest this year. The only problem is that the side and front windows dont have screens. not too good for the aussie climate. we plan to have some screens fitted.

only thanks 20 minutes or so to put up. we bought the inner tent and extra ground sheets with it. the innner tent just fits 2 single stretches with a queen matress.

very well made awning. make sure you get a 2011 model though. it has the floor between the awning and the kombi.

we also got some metal figure 8 channel (and some rubber) to be able to slide the awning onto the gutter. (no leaks!)

[​IMG]

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

We have the traditional JustKampers Spacemaker Driveaway metal frame awning which handles gale force winds really well. Last Christmas the tent of the people staying right next to us ripped apart (it was only 5 years old and hardly used) and the spacemaker handled everything with no issues. It even fits a lifted syncro. That plastic figure 8 channel is the best clips on in seconds and as mentioned - no leaks.

We also have a home made rear annexe which is great as a change room and for great ventialtion in summer.

[​IMG]

bay window bandit likes this.
  4. LOMBI

LOMBI Member

Rear Change Room

I am interested in your rear tent - change room

Did you make it yourself - are they available for purchase

Trakka make one for a modern Kombi - see pic attached

Anyone that is good with canvass could have a real earner making these

Attached Files:

5. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

I was sooo pleased with this one.
    Got it for fathers day. Its a DUNE 4WD annex. It was from Anaconda, about $140.
    Used it for the first time over easter, it was super strong but lightweight. Folds up to next to nothing (like a little 2 man tent).
    The side closest to the vehicle is open for obvious reasons. All 3 other sides unzip and rol up is desired in any or all combinations. Sun annex for summer or completely enclosed for winter. Was heaps big enough for camp kitchen, stove, 2 chairs and incidentals. i LOVED it!!!

[​IMG]

6. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

We also have the original VW Annex (right of image under a newer tarp coz it rained for days).
    Old School, sturdy, huge - great for long stays...allows you to drive in and out of camp with everything out of the weather. When hooked up to the Kombi it looks great, especially when near new fancy rigs. ;)

[​IMG]

7. Syncro27

My Dad made this specifically for his T25 syncro (kind of a prototype) then he made a better one (which I now have in that photo) and he then made an even better one.

He is a genius with his hands and a sewing machine even though he is a hydraulics engineer and builder by trade.

The bays have a much smaller tailgate than a T25 which we noticed when we tried it on Alpals green bay kombi @ the Bus Stop. The bay has a different style of tailgate seal system and side draiange (which is very shallow) which means you would probably need to make something more like the Trakka one.

Discoverer Campers used to do one and I am sure judging by his skills that Macron Campers on the Central Coast could also do one.

My one is great as it needs no poles or guy ropes and makes an excellent change room, breezeway in summer and entry/exit point to the camper when the kids are asleep. It only weights about 2kgs and can be stashed anywhere. Its brilliant.

Cheers,

8. douggieboy

douggieboy Active Member

VW Tent

When you can't afford the real thing:

A new tent that looks exactly like a Volkswagen Camper Van is set to be the biggest hit at music
    festivals this summer.
    The life-size replica of the original 1965 VW Transporter has been officially licensed by the German
    car manufacturer for the first time.
    Each ‘pop-up’ tent contains two zip-separated double-size rooms and provides enough sleeping​
    space for four or five people.

Take this link to read the rest and see the pictures:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390722/The-tent-thinks-campervan-sleep-cloth-Volkswagen.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  9. kbskombi

kbskombi Member

Hi
    Yes that dune 4x4 is a great easy to erect little anex. Had one with the flexi poles but the steel poles on the dune make all the diffenence

10. Kev76

Kev76 Member

I have a Spacemaker Driveaway tent. I've been using the wing nut clamps that came with it to connect it to my kombi but this is a pain and it leaks like mad. How does the tent connect using the plastic figure 8 channel or clips? Any idea where to get these from?

Thanks
    Bob

11. Syncro27

Bob,

JustKampers has them and these plastic strips are 75cm long each. I now have 3 to make sure its fully covered. They are brilliant and take 30 seconds to install rather than half an hour.

Plus these dont leak like those useless clamps.

The best investment I have ever made.

Cheers,

12. Kev76

Kev76 Member

Thanks Scott. Have ordered 3 from JustKampers. Worst thing about the Spacemaker tent is those clamps.

Bob

13. 1972bay

1972bay New Member

I'm thinking of making my own awning by sewing a rope through one side of our 3x3 tarp, and attaching with the figure 8 plastic clips from just kampers - do you think it will work OK?

Cheers,
    Tricia

14. Syncro27

That should work - but I would get the figure 8 extrusion first and then you know how large a rope (ie diameter) you should use.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  15. Kev76

Kev76 Member

The figure 8 clips are great. Three of them goes the length of an awning or spacemaker tent. I used them last night for the first time in cold and windy Cessnock. So much better than the clamps or threading a rope through the sail rail.

Bob

16. 1972bay

1972bay New Member

Thanks for your great responses. I will be ordering the clips tomorrow, and then I'll see what size the rope needs to be. You've saved me a fortune too - those awnings can get expensive! Of course I'll send in pics when its done.
    Cheers,
    Tricia

17. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

18. Doody

Doody Member

What happens when the pop top goes up?

Thanks

19. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

No problem at all just extend the poles works a treat.

20. 1972bay

1972bay New Member

My new homemade awning

I finished making my Awning today and here it is! Quite happy for $50! The figure 8 clip on one end keeps coming off , but we'll fix it somehow.
    Cheers,
    Tricia

Attached Files: