1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry's on Blocks!!! 61 Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Roo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Roo

Roo Active Member

Well it's finally time to make a start (all be it slow) on Barry's rego makeover. The plan is to do all mechanicals to roadworthy and minimal body work so I can bloody drive this thing on the road! Then I'll work on a full body restoration and new paintwork. All sounds good in words!!! Lets see how it transfers into the shed...... Todays effort; cleaned out the c&@p!!
    WP_000229.jpg WP_000231.jpg WP_000249.jpg WP_000243.jpg

Syncro27 and 68BUS like this.
  2. Roo

Roo Active Member

Here's one for you Grantus!!!

WP_000261.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. Roo

Roo Active Member

Does anything beat twin round tail lights!!

WP_000259.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. 67micro

67micro Member

Looks good from my place, will you be keeping that patina minus the rust?

5. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Nearly ready for RWC..
    You may need to beef the generator if you are thinking of running those lights :)
    Round tail lights should be an option for bay Kombis.

6. Roo

Roo Active Member

Hoping to at this stage. Drive around in it's "work clothes" for a while, visit a few events and get some ideas on colours then go the whole hog.

7. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

Hey Roo. Love this bus mate its awesome. When I got my splitty I gave myself 6 months to get it on the road............. 3 years later it happened

Enjoy

OSF likes this.
  8. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks Glen. That's why the time frame is asap and not a length eg. months. Trying to be realistic. Having seen all the resto threads gives me an appreciation of just how much time it takes!

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

:lol:

A little bit of tweaking, to integrate them better to the bar perhaps, and then you're set! (After the alternator upgrade of course)

You'll see the roos at a much safer distance then...:)

10. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

way to go Roo...
    A nice base to start with.
    Gota love a 61 model.
    chuckster

11. Roo

Roo Active Member

Not much happened on Baz over the w/end. Did pull the master cyl. off and give it a clean. Needs cup obviously but everything else looks good so far!
    WP_000268.jpg WP_000269.jpg

12. Roo

Roo Active Member

Righto Glen, you were on the money, mate!

I can see myself clear for a little bit of resto time in the near future and I'm wanting to sort out the running gear first. I've been given a few places to try for parts and wondering whether anyone has ordered a full set of brake lines and wheel cylinders from anywhere? Is there a drama with shipping or freight with the long lines? Where is the easiest to deal with? Hoping you guys can fill a few blanks so I can start getting this thing happening again....
    Cheers in advance,
    Roo.

13. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Mick motors at northgate, Brisbane should have them

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of suppliers about for parts try http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/ as have heard that some parts suppliers won't accept returns if YOU are not specific with model, year and part number (many non year specific parts have been fitted to so many older Kombis & also modifications so make sure what you ask for is what you want/need and not a hybrid part that has been used and thus create issues with fitment and return/replacement)

Just my 50cents worth :p

15. Roo

Roo Active Member

Hmmmm... Nearly 6 years on since starting this thread and we are having another shot at the title!!
    I've got a good mate kicking my @&$e to get this thing on the road for Mallacoota. I've booked the park so there's no turning back now. Have to remember how to put photos on here as we progress.
    This weekends plan is to throw a motor in it and give it a run down the road to reassess the mechanicals eg. gearbox and reduction hubs.

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  16. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

What is left if you remove the rust from patina?

17. Roo

Roo Active Member

On this bus, a whole lot of lichen and dust!!

David H likes this.
  18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

With photo posting - easiest way is to use the Upload a file (icon to the right of Post Reply in lower right corner) - if from a windows computer then you choose the file and save then choose Full Size Image - if pictures are more than 1MB then you'll have to use something to resize OR you can use one of a few hosting sites - Photobucket out of favour with them charging for 3rd party web posting :mad:. If using Tablet (iPad or Android devise) then there are other threads on how to do it :rolleyes:

19. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks Bert, I'll have a crack with Flikr.

Weekend plan went well. Pulled a motor out of the 71 on Friday night and put it in the 61 on Saturday night!! This included changing the flywheel and snapping off a bottom engine mount stud!:(
    Started about 8pm and did a moonlit run down the road by about 10.30.
    Will add pictures at a later date...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  20. Roo

Roo Active Member

This week I had a couple of wet days so I attacked the electrics to see what would work. Traced out some of the wiring and ended up with tail lights, blinkers (not flashing yet), headlights and wipers. Everything was still set up as 6 volt so I had to do some globe swapping. Whilst doing this, I had a bit of a play around with headlights to see what options were there to upgrade. This is what I came up with....
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Syncro27 and grantw like this.