1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery gassing off - faulty voltage regulator suspected

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by merrymike, Jan 7, 2019.

  1. merrymike

    merrymike New Member

    Messages:
    25
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi guys, before Christmas, running around in the van I noticed we were getting a strong rotten egg smell from the van. Battery was hissing and thought, "Hey the battery is cooked." It was over 3 years old and the indicator said it was dead so I replaced it with a new Century battery in the Boxing Day sales and all good again.

    Down the Great Ocean Rd for a few days, starting to notice rotten egg again on the way home, not as strong, but could hear a slight hiss from the battery when parked up.

    Checked the voltage in the system whilst driving using the dashboard app from my 123 TUNE. Voltage was sitting up at 15 Volts while engine running. (That's the max that the needle on the digital gauge goes to) Got home and checked with a multimeter. 16.5 Volts on the battery when engine idling, 13.8 in the battery when ignition turned on. That's out of spec from what I understand!

    I had my suspicions when I blew 2 sets of bulbs in quick succession before Christmas - faulty voltage regulator? Is there anything else it could be?
     
  2. drivesafe

    drivesafe Active Member

    Messages:
    143
    Hi Mike and it is most likely the voltage regulator, but a bad earth return can cause the same thing.

    Try checking all your cable connections and make sure they are secure, especially any motor to body cable bolts and nuts.
     
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Alpal

    Alpal Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    8,490
    Location:
    Melbourne Bend of Islands
    Battery is boiling. Cooks the battery. Fix before you buy another battery.
     
  4. merrymike

    merrymike New Member

    Messages:
    25
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    I won't be driving it until I get a new voltage regulator fitted and I'm sure it's working properly, but do I really need to buy a new battery? Seems a bit unnecessary.
     
  5. cbus

    cbus Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,715
    Location:
    sunshine coast
    I read Bert's comment as , if you needed to buy a new battery it will get cooked as well unless charging sorted first".

    As the new battery has been subjected to the same overcharging it may be weakened. Have it tested at least . It may be ok or ok for a while but fail early.
    Overheating can bend the plates causing a short or , alternately ,weaken internal connections.
     

Share This Page