1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery seems okay, dash lights come on but won’t start!

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by JaneC, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Hello Greg! It is so true, the Kombi Club members are fabulous. And Grant and Cbus have come to the rescue many times! I really appreciated all the advice that night. I can't believe I didn't think to clutch start though. Anyway... Dot's getting looked at on Thursday so I will pass on final outcome.

Regarding my Dad's cars. He was a clever chap. Mum and Dad had a small garage at Leura in the Blue Mountains, and his little business was called 'Archer Engineering'. He built the first Clubman racing car based on a Mini Clubman in Australia. It was a car that was 'written off' in an 'accident' by a customer and then he got to to rebuild it as a formula 2 racing car. Dad actually beat Jack Brabham in a Hill Climb! He built them by chalking out on the garage floor, then building, rolling his own aluminium. And the engine of choice was a Cortina.

I bought one of the cars few years ago, sadly I sold it again. That was a mistake, And someone had put a Lotus engine in it. I believe it is now somewhere in Campbelltown or Picton... somewhere like that. One went to New Zealand.

Wayne murray, Grantus and cbus like this.
  2. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Jane your dad sounds like a special man, I too drew up my Clubman 7 type car on a board and then done all the aluminium panels by hand, I have a Ford engine from the Focus in mine so there is a lot of similarities, only he I'm sure was a lot more professional than me, for me its just a hobby, I would love to see some pics of his cars, did the Mini based car have the engine in the rear, you don't know a bloke from Orange by the name of Ross Preen by any chance, cheers Greg

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Jeeze.
    A focus engine in a " 7 " must honk ?:eek:

onetrackwonder likes this.
  4. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Bit late to the party on this question, but I have had this a couple of times, two different issues.
    First time it was corrosion on the spade terminals on the starter motor, don't know if spade terminals are correct or not, but thats whats on there now. Quick removal and a clean and all good.
    Second time was the bolt that held the power cable to the starter had come a little loose and wouldn't start, a quick tighten and all good.

Cheers

Steve

JaneC likes this.
  5. onetrackwonder

It gets along alright :)

[​IMG]

Wayne murray, Grantus and cbus like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

About to get lapped ?
    :D

7. onetrackwonder

Yeah good one, ha, passed all of them after Mountain Straight, and the GT40 got me again down Conrod before the chase, passed him again in the chase and then by by Charlie, got too love a car thats under 550 kg, cheers Greg :)

Grantus likes this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. the basic Colin Chapman premise of light weight and handling .
    Then throw in some poke.

onetrackwonder likes this.
  9. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Never to late Steve! But an update to my late night problem, the mechanic ended up installing a nice shiny new Bosch starter motor. It's so good to have all the info though as it could easily have been any of the other issues. Kombi Club brains trust is the best!!!

TeeBee likes this.