1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by phantom, Jan 8, 2015.

1. phantom

phantom Member

Hi all, advice appreciated.

I have a 75 Bay (auto) which was lowered by a previous owner. We have corrected the front suspension (wasn't easy) and I need to correct the rear. I am of the impression that the Bay's have Torsion Bar suspension which needs to be pulled apart to an extent, 'clicked around' a few notches, and reassembled. I have been told by one mechanic it will take around 3 or 4 hours, all going well.

The rear tyres sit badly, I am told due to the lowering, and are again scrubbed out.
    I'm about to take the car in for new tyres next week, and look to be changing from the non-standard tyres and rims I have on (205/55 x 16) to put standard rims and tyres back on.
    The tyre place I will go to has told me they are happy to look at doing the rear suspension for me to bring it back to level. I was going to wait until I can get it back to my mechanic but this would be many months away. In the meantime, this will mean the new tyres will start to scrub before I can get the camber corrected.

So, my question, as long as the suspension at the rear has only been lowered using stock suspension (i.e. no extra add-ons), is this something that the tyre place could easily achieve? If so, what kind of timing should it take, and therefore what kind of price should I be looking at for this work?

Initially I was just looking at 4 tyres, but I do like the idea of driving out with the suspension all fixed and new tyres ready to go, meaning I will get a longer life from them.

Thanks all.

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The person adjusting the torsion bars will really have to know what he is doing. Does he have VW experience? You will also need to get the front and rear alignment done afterwards. Where are you located?

3. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Hubs have to be removed from spring plates, this is where the time goes, yes I think 3 to 4 hours would be correct

4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

If they have never done it before it will probably take them longer to get it right. The inner and outer ends on the torsion bar are have a different number of splines and by combing left and right rotations gives finer increments of total rotation.

I have made enquires around Goulburn for getting the rear end aligned and NONE of the tyre places here knew anything about aligning it. So I jut went with adjusting the rear suspension ride hight accordingly and had the front aligned. I didn't experience any tyre wear issues.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I wouldnt let a tyre place GUESS at bar atjustment.
    hard enough to get a tyre place to sort the alignment.
    How much is it lowered? if its afew inches and the front is back to stock then be carefull driving it with nose up. you will know what i mean when you drive it :)
    It would pay to replace all therear bushes at same time. often these are what can contribute to bad alignment and tyre scrubbing issues
    bent spring plates can also give excessive camber without the bend being easily noticed.

more likely that the scrubbing is due to bad rear alignment cused by one of the above factors although lowering does result in running out of adjustments.

6. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

To add some complications, you have no idea what adjustments to the rear splines the previous owner made. Therefore rectifying it is a guessing game and will involve some trial and error. Definitely not something a tyre fitter would be willing or competent to do. Unless of course that tyre fitter was John Ward.

7. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I am planning to replace my spring plate bushes because they squeak and the rear end sits unevenly. From the procedures I have read you really need to know what you are doing to make sure both sides are level. I don't think your average tyre place would have a clue so I wouldn't even contemplate getting them to do it.

These clips are worth having a look at to see what is involved www.youtube.com/watch?v=TENkuaHoei0 and www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzTlTYt--c. From what I have seen elsewhere you don't need to remove the 46mm hub nut like the guy in the clip does.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You will need to do some research on the ways to do it and the calculations involved. Not just a pull it and then whack it back in. You need to measure the existing angle measurements to calculate the combination of the 2 splines to give the correct final angles. There is info in the Bentley, and some other manuals but you really need to pull the torsion bars and actually count the splines as I have found there are different numbers in the manual to the bars themselves.

Adrian

9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Bit of a chart

Attached Files: