Bay Window Fuel Gauge Access

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by ttmck, Mar 18, 2007.

1. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

It's literally a 15 minute job Marty.
    Get the cover, measure twice, cut once. Job done! It's just another access panel.
    Next replacement takes 5 minutes.

Ray & da Boyz

2. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Just though I would throw in another option for this great idea. Here are some pics of in the back of our lowlight panel van you can get the watertight hatches from boat chandlerys even BCF I think.

Closed

[​IMG]

Open

[​IMG]

Very easy access via the screw top not that you need to get in there very often. :D

onetrackwonder likes this.
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That looks very neat.

4. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Now, THAT'S sexy!

Ray & da Boyz

5. sosage

sosage Member

BCF here I come, Wow looks so nice and will be glad to read my fule guage :D

6. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I just did my sender in the '77 bay and was able to get it out with out removing the tank. There was JUST enough clearence to tilt it out and then move it along the top of the tank to the left and the.

I did have the engine out but didnt want to pull the tank as it was full of fuel.

Bernie

7. Skip

Skip New Member

I did this job today, complete with the screw hatch from my local BCF (about $15). I have a VDO fuel gauge set in the spare hole in my dash panel, I suspect that the fuel sender broke quite a few years ago and the VDO gauge was installed in an effort to fix it. The wiring at the back is what you'd expect from 30 years of DIY auto-electricians, and it's a bit out of my depth to set everything back as it should be. There's a whole lot of electrical tape back there...
    Anyway - I cut the hole and installed the hatch (works a treat, I recommend this modification), removed the old sender and put in the new one. I wired it up, and...now the gauge reads, but reads backwards. I didnt drain the tank before I installed the new sender, but just testing the sender wired up, but not installed - when it's in the "full" position, the gauge reads empty, and when it's in the empty position, the VDO gauge reads full. Weird. I'm thinking the problem isn't in the sender, at this stage, but rather in the wiring behind the gauge. I'll keep investigating tomorrow, but if I have to wait until I can get her to a proper auto-electrician to figure out the mess that is my front dash, I dont mind reading the gauge backwards for now.

8. Doc

Doc Active Member

Skip the majority of VDO fuel gauges are not meant for VW fuel senders (10 full 75 ohm empty). You can buy a specific VDO for a volkswagen but I had to order it from the states, The common VDO gauge is for a GM I think.
    Rob

9. Skip

Skip New Member

That would certainly explain it! I had wondered if these things were universally standardised. I'd like to get my stock standard fuel gauge working again and keep that spare spot in my dash free for a head temperature gauge. Maybe pop in a $150 clock ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. sosage

sosage Member

Hey all! I was just wondering what would be the problem with my kombi is fuel guage or sender...The needle on the fuel guage rapidly moves from side to side and never is still so i can never tell how much fuel I have. I usually just fill up on tuesdays hehe. If it's the sender Ill try this, if its the guage what should I do? Thanks sos.

11. Doc

Doc Active Member

I would suspect the voltage stabliliser behind the instrument gauge itself.

12. sosage

sosage Member

Ah okay, is that just like a fuse or is it something expensive? Also would that have something to do with my taco being out and a bit unstable or is that to do with the wheel and the cable? where would I get these things fixed? Thanks Doc and all, Sos.

13. Doc

Doc Active Member

Sosage
    Tachos are not standard, if its all your gauges then my thoughts would be a bad earth connection (its the common thread)

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

My moneys with the Doc on that one!!

15. sosage

sosage Member

Guages and eletrics are not my forte, so would I be going to a auto eletrician for this job?

16. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

is it the fuel hatch cutout same for lowlights as well as late bays?

Sunnyjim will have to go under the knife soon (actually jigsaw)

The fuel gauge now reads empty ,turning the ignition switch on i can see the needle ping quickly to the left .

I will look at the wiring on the dash but I assume this sounds like a sender problem?

Now I read this great thread and will do the fuel sender hatch

Are the dimensions the same for lowlights as well as late bays?
    there were also diffeent opinions on the cut out dimensions

can someone who has done one let me know (especially on a low light)

thx

17. grumble

grumble Active Member

You can access the sender wire on the chassis near the R/H/R wheel,If you earth this wire briefly with the ignition on the gauge should go towards full if it is the sender unit,if not the problem is in the dash.

18. SunnyJim

lowlight

hey grumble

what are u saying ? are u saying I can access the sender wire somehow without cutting the hole?
    Or do u mean only after I cut the hole and see the sender?

I NEED TO KNOW IF THE DIMENSIONS OF THE FUEL SENDER ACCESS ARE THE SAME FOR LOWLIGHTS AS LATE BAYS . I think most of these posts are for late bays .I DON'T WANT TO CUT A HOLE THE FIND OUT IT IS NOT THERE

thx paul

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

ARE YOU SHOUTING PAUL!!!!!!

20. SunnyJim

not shouting just waving

alpal

not shouting just waving.

love to hear from anyone who has cut the fuel sender hole in a lowlight.

I will try to cut the hole this weekend and want to make sure those dimensions of where to cut apply to lowlights as well as bays

I don't want to re-enact the gofer scene from caddyshack and have holes everywhere.