1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay window temporary windscreen - pass the parcel!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by happysyncro, Jan 14, 2019.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

If no one else is able to grab it from you Roger then Woz and Alice will be good custodians - I just thought it might be nice to let it have a bit more of a trip :)

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hi Roger,

Great to hear from you again.

How is that luxurious home on wheels going?

We are all itching for a syncro trip somewhere although I think an outback rather than far north coast trip would be ideal with the Farmers struggling - we could at least grace their towns with our presence somewhere along the line....

3. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

As we are now into February 2019, could I suggest that we let plan A run to the end of this month after which Alice and Wuz's welcome offer wins the day. I will contact them and make an arrangement to drop it down to them next time I am in Williamstown. This should allow plenty of time to make any appropriate handover arrangements in Mallacoota.
    Cheers
    Roger

4. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

P1290632 (2).JPG
    Hi Scott likewise good to hear from you and note that impressive fleet of VW's that your family owns. The T5 really is a superb vehicle in 4motion diff locked Trakkadu format and if I was using it more off road, I'd be tempted to add an adjustable air suspension to overcome its one shortcoming of somewhat limited ground clearance., As an urban dweller I'm also keen to maintain the benefit of getting in car parks with 2.1m clearance. We did 60,000 Kms in its first 3 years but only 20,000 in the last 3 mainly due to my wife's health problems.
    Still I look at my pictures of our Cape York and round Tassie trips and think how lucky I've been to have had a T3 syncro and some great VW enthusiasts in my life.
    Came across some T3 stickers on line which I will have to send to the Syncro Register for their amusement or even low cost purchase. As I age this one haunts me.
    Hope your trip planning comes to fruition.
    Cheers
    Roger

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger.

We all love stickers:D

Enjoy that lovely palace on wheels you have....

6. Miss Rosie

Miss Rosie Member

Loved the video! I lived in Bamaga for 3 years in the mid 80s...we used to convoy down to Twin Falls and in those days we had the place to ourselves. I rode my Honda XR200 over Gunshot many times...we'd fly ahead of the 4WDs. I do remember one time when it was so steep I had to put my feet down and help the bike. Fantastic times. In serious awe of a T2 doing the trip. The bitumen is slowly creeping north...I would love to see it left as one vast national park. In the afternoon after work I would ride my pushbike up the tip road with my dogs...the tourists would come along and suddenly see me in the middle of nowhere.Eventually there will be a bridge over the Jardine which I believe is one of the last totally untouched rivers in Australia.I'm up in the Torres Strait at the moment on Masig Island...home to Cairns for Easter but just too far to drive to Bus Stop!

7. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Some great responses above but probably not widely read due the thread title. Anyway a clever idea that may get a run in the future. There's probably an app. waiting to be developed or possibly already available to transport common interest items. I was in London last year and through such an app linking parties with parking available near wanted venues (London CITY Airport in my case) I was able to trade GBP10 and a half an hour walk, for parking in someone's driveway for 24hrs, compared to GBP86 at the airport.
    I digress. No one came forward by the end of February to start the temporary windscreen on its journey to Melissa in Newcastle and therefore if Alice and Wuz like to contact me on 0422024197 I can arrange to get it to you in Williamstown, for you in turn to take to Melissa at Easter in Mallacoota.

8. melissa

Thanks for trying Roger - I will make sure Woz and Alice contact you :)

9. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Hi Roger,

I just updated my profile - it said Williamstown but we are actually now in Yarraville, a bit closer to town. Alice will contact you so we can ensure safe delivery of the parcel to Mallacoota. :) Sorry about that, I hadn't noticed the update.

...Woz

10. melissa

Thanks Woz :)

Van Housing likes this.
  11. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Thanks Woz and Alice. Even better as Yarraville is of course closer. Will wait to hear from Alice to drop it to you but as I'm retired am usually home if you were coming near Canning St Nth Carlton during March. (Am a bit worried about your camper being named "Woger")
    RRRRRRRRoger

Van Housing likes this.
  12. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Don't seemed to have heard from Alice but did change phone but not number (0422 024 197) recently. Could you give me a call to arrange something convenient for delivery. Thanks Roger

13. melissa

I have sent a message to Alice to give you a call - thanks Roger

14. Van Housing

Alice messaged you but got no reply? Anyway we are definitely still up for taking the package as we are confirmed for Merimbula and will be there even if on a truck (quite possible). I will remind Alice to recontact.
    Where should we drop it off? I was thinking Omeo but Traralgon will suit fine. Happy to detour to Lakes Entrance if preferred. Any preferences? :p

15. Van Housing

The parcel has been passed. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  16. Van Housing

20190423_094318.jpg Yay! :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    melissa, Quombi and Wayne murray like this.
  17. melissa

Thank you Roger and thank you Woz and Alice - I am very grateful! Funny thing happened about a kilometre out of the caravan park leaving Bus Stop today. Travelling behind Oldman we got a stone chip in the windscreen - I almost thought we were going to have to break open the packaging! But it is just a chip with no big crack so maybe it has worked its magic and it continues to protect just like it has Rogers kombis since 1977!

Quombi, David H, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  18. bern

bern Well-Known Member

good karma - who's taking it next am on the rd myself soon...

19. happysyncro

happysyncro Member

Great photo to complete the story. Thanks Alice and Woz. Melissa too - I hope it was what you expected and no one reckoned the same thing was on special at Kmart last week.
    My Easter was enhanced by 1 of my children giving me an(Aldi?) Chocolate T1 Kombi as they recognise the only true religion. However it leaves me with the quandry of WHEN or indeed IF it should ever be eaten.- perhaps my kids will wait 40 years and be posting in a similar vein again on this forum?

Van Housing, melissa and David H like this.
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Great gesture Roger in “paying it forward”.:)

As to the chocolate Kombi, and you’ll note the packaging states “nut free”! How is that possible with anything Kombi related?

I too, gifted a couple, and the first reaction was also to store it away with other memorabilia, until I pointed out that it will decay.

My advice was to carefully set aside the complete packaging intact, then first chew the wheels off, and then eat the lower edges, to make it look like a “paddock find”. Next is to nibble away around the gutters, for authenticity.

Finally, after the last of it has rotted away, (along with your teeth), turn back to the original carefully set aside packaging.

Float some paint of your favourite Kombi colour, into the clear plastic mould, drain and then allow to dry. Replace back in the cardboard box, after detailing wheels, and logos as much or as little as you wish.......... then file the completed task to join your other memorabilia. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Van Housing likes this.