1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baywindow rear swing away system

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by PICT, Oct 28, 2021.

1. PICT

PICT Active Member

I've been working with a manufacturer to design and build a bolt on twin swing away system for Baywindows, you can get a decent towbar to T3's but impossible for Bays

This is what we have come up with so far, but is there a market for this??

It would replace the rear bumper and also have a 2" square receiver tow bar so you can tow with it or add in standard bike racks etc

So would people be interested in this?? and also what would you be willing to pay, need to know if it would be economical or not

swing1.jpg swing2.jpg swing3.jpeg swing4.jpeg swing5.jpg

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Having been this path with other non related Kombi products, I’d be taking it off the screen, and into a fully working prototype, assuming you really want one for yourself.

The prototype, will sort out any production issues, or design adjustments required, give you a real idea of production costs, and allow you to decide on a viable sale price to charge.

The fully functioning working prototype, would be great to demo all the features, and photograph for future sales.

If it’s revealed, after producing the prototype, that production costs would not be viable for market……..at least at the end of the exercise, you have a “one off” for yourself to use. ;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    onetrackwonder, grumble, PICT and 4 others like this.
  3. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

a guy in vic already does his version and build roof racks as well. Jrad fabrication..it uses original bumper brackets to support it and some holes needed to be drilled into the body to support the pivot . This is a pretty clean setup looking kind of factory made keeping the bumper
    Price $600 plus postage[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  4. 77/kombi/surfer

5. 77/kombi/surfer

6. PICT

PICT Active Member

Cheers for the info, I've got in touch with him, looks like they are in Tassie now, the only things for me is it doesn't look like it has enough strength for offroading in the bar diameter long term (could be wrong) or mounting points and secondly you have to drill into your van

Mordred likes this.
  7. 77/kombi/surfer

Sure, not a 4wd setup for off roading. But tell me , how many people drive there $40,000 kombi on old dirt road , through creeks and on the beach and such these days.
    The design could be improved but its a good base to start with.
    cheers

8. PICT

PICT Active Member

Hello.........you haven't met me then.......lol

I've not put and NOS ZF LSD in the box for nothing......

There are actually more and more people interested in doing it

Who wants a show pony that comes out a few times a year to go to a show and is so low it can't go over speed bumps at any sort of speed??

I rather use my vehicles, and to be honest it's good getting back to basics, I use mine all year round, even going up to the NW of WA over Christmas etc, its a bit hot, but it copes fine

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Strength in mounting to chassis an important issue in my reasoning for a off road version.
    But both nice designs for intended purposes.

PICT likes this.
  10. PICT

PICT Active Member

Just re-reading your post and thought I'd be totally clear, I'm not interested in being involved in any part of selling them or making any profit out of them, I just know what I want is not available apart from the GoWesty one, but that is butt ugly and I actually found someone who had been thinking about making these for some time, just trying to gauge interest

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I still think the person thinking about making them for sometime, should take it off the screen, and make a working prototype, to then decide whether small quantity runs, or larger runs, would be worth doing.

The interest would then be much easier gauged, from a physical fully functioning prototype, after which, would also then have a more accurate idea of cost……..

77/kombi/surfer and Wiz like this.
  12. PICT

PICT Active Member

I do agree with you, I just wanted to make sure that my interest in the project was clear

If only I had bought a T3 then it would have been easy....

Grantus and oldman like this.
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally,I wouldn’t use one…….
    I kinda like the front mounted spare and wheel cover I have.
    I also use the tailgate as often as the front doors to get ‘boards out and I reckon I’d tire (see what I did there,,,,?:rolleyes:) of unlatching, swinging and resetting everything every time.
    I’m sure that some folks would jump on the idea though…..I reckon there would be merit in selling the final plans as a dyi project option as well as buying the finished product.
    Steel is cheap and the rack that Chuck posted at $600 + postage seems a lot of money for something I could fabricate myself…….and I would assume this one would be more than that, given the section sizes.
    Nice to see options out there though….:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hahahahah………… you have been out of the game too long Mark.

A week is a life time these days.

I used $1,300 - $1,500 a tonne for the last 15 years up until about April this year. and started at $750 30 years ago.

It is a schooner under $3,000 now.
    Gone through the roof in the last couple of months

15. 77/kombi/surfer

Still a few who do crazy kombi trips but not many are willing to trust a old kombi to get them there and back unless have some mechanical skills to back it up. I like the idea an do some small trips but only with my mate whos a Magiver bush mechanic an can get you home . Maxine an Karstan from Newcastle are doing some crazy off road trips an built a rear bumper rack setup like your thinking of doing you may get some ideas off for your own project.. here is his latest trip...
    https://www.facebook.com/KarstanAndMaxine/videos/3104867533169123

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  16. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be hard to modify my tow bar to accept wheels and fuel cans that swing out.
    Each side of the tow bar is held by 5 bolts to the chassis, 3 along the bottom and 2 up the side.
    All but 2 a side (one under and one on the side have strong 10mm) captive nuts, the holes are already there for the 2 that don't with access through the chassis
    Super strong.
    When not in use for swing outs the rear bumper fits over and hides the tow bar (middle kombi in last picture)
    1(16).jpg

1(2b).jpg

17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah....nah...;)
    Just checked with Edcon.
    For the rack in Pict's post...looks like (approx.)...102 x 76 x 5 mm primed, mild steel @ $348.28 (list price, not Trade) for an 8.0m length.
    ...and for the tube rack pictured, the $600 one.. looks like 33.7 x 2.6 mm, or thereabouts.....gal. at the mill..... @ $44.23 for a 6.5m length.
    Not building Airports mate !! :p
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus and Barry like this.
  18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

:p:p:p:p

oldman likes this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

And it’s Metro’s. Not Airports

AD859203-85D0-4707-9649-E935A08F3C5A.jpeg