beam adjusters

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by tillis, Dec 7, 2017.

1. tillis

tillis Active Member

WP_20170131_001 (2).jpg

Ok who has fitted these from JK...these involve drilling the dimples out compared to other that just use masssive force to flatten them out...anyway got the beam out this morning...needed a swim before and after!

tomorrow will dismantle it and let the games begin!

2. tillis

tillis Active Member

WP_20171207_001 (2).jpg WP_20171208_001 (2).jpg

so if you got nothing better to do pull the front beam outta your kombi...i won't bore you with how much fun it is...kombi looks kinda empty without it tho...and for even more fun strip the beam down to bare bones ready for surgery!

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks but that be the mechanics job:). My job is to keep the fluids up to me;).
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Keeping the fluids up to you after you have dehydrated from handing out all that cash:eek: to get it done.;)

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Boy! The amount of times I pulled the beam out of my baywindow.

Thanks for the little nostalgia trip

6. tillis

tillis Active Member

WP_20171209_002.jpg

steering pivot off...yes Nils a side benefit is it keeps you familiar with whats goin on under there...steering, brakes and suspension...sometimes just a visual can save you some grief...anyway...keeping up the fluids as above...i have a pool for my grandkids so a dip is refreshing and i'll be pouring some well earned red stuff down the throat this arv...my throat that is!

7. tillis

tillis Active Member

WP_20171209_006.jpg

ok slots are cut adjusters in place ready for welding...had to call it a day and run around battening the hatches...huge storm...had to have a swim in the rain so got wet! the red wine is nice and dry tho!

8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Are you narrowing it as well, just wondering why you took the steering pivot off

9. tillis

tillis Active Member

No not narrowing...there are dimples almost like spotwelds which need to be drilled or smoothed out under the steering pivot...otherwise there is no way the torsion leaves can rotate

10. splitbus

No need to drill, just have to knock the cam from side to side a few times, this can all be done with beam still in bus

11. tillis

tillis Active Member

Yes and "Bus Boys" says rotate the centre to flatten the dimples...I bought the kit from JK and their advice was to drill...anyway all done now just painting everything before i put it back in

12. splitbus

So what do you do with the drilled holes

13. tillis

tillis Active Member

yeah thought about that...have never modified a beam before but i have heard where adjusters seize...probably rust so i'll fill the holes with silicon and later if they are stuck i can pry the silicon out and squirt oil in...another reason i wanted to remove the pivot was to trim it a little to allow me maximum raising adjustment...i figur i'll get 9cm max...apparently splits have more room to adjust