Bernard the 83 T3

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Dapom, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Well now that I'm back on the road and it looks like I might get to start making improvements instead of just fixing, I thought I'd start a thread here and introduce my bus properly :)
    So Bernard is an 83 T3 8 seater 2.0 air cooled running l-jet. He's had some 'issues' (reported and sorted at length by the awesome people here in the T3 forum) so I haven't done much to him...yet.
    The mods ive made so far have been to be able to use it as a camper so I've made the whole middle row of seats fold down and a fold out bed deck to take a queen size mattress whilst still allowing easy access to the engine bay.
    It had curtains on purchase but nothing for the front so I made up a 3 window sunshade out of Kmart specials and black duct tape :) about $15 from memory and works great :)
    I've also installed a kenwood media player head unit (no cd) which is super shallow so ideal for the bus. This runs 6" kickers in the front and some generic 6" in the back. Along with a 360w amp under the drivers seat running a 10" sub under the rear seat in a custom box it sounds great :)
    Apart from a usb outlet replacing the ciggy socket and my Bigfoot gas pedal, that's about it.
    Here's a couple of pics from camping at the weekend :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Resnort, AC-T3, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Love the clean lines of the nose on the early T3's. Also the colours they brought out. Especially the green. Nothing boring there

Resnort and Dapom like this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree Barry, 1st one I drove belonged to Darryl Garthon @ snow Business, Sylvania back in 1983, his was a white over yellow, his brother had (I think) one the same as Bernard and Peter Arnold (business partner) had a white over maroon. I was wrapped in it's ride and almost got rid of the wheels I had to buy one but didn't have the $$$$ now want to be a copy cat.

4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

That's my favourite of the colour schemes....but I shopped by price not colour lol Do love the green though :)

5. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I'm interested in the middle seat folding setup you made, hows it work?
    I normally remove the middle row when camping and pack my eskies under the front of the mattress. I do love the fact that a queen size mattress fits in the back of these

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I'm just happy you got it running to do the trip! :)

You are an excellent example of "persistence pays off".......;)

Dapom and Resnort like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Of the 3 mentioned the white over yellow was my fav also but the white/maroon was sweet as well :p

8. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

There's a thread posted by me in t3 help clinic called middle seats. There's some pics there but will take some more of the rear box/leg setup for you :) I basically copied the hinges from the flipper seat and made them up out of 5mm steel.

85 Caravelle and Resnort like this.
  9. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Interesting! I have a middle seat from a Bay window some one had done the same thing!!
    I also like the look of the AC-T3's, best of both worlds I think!

10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Well that woulda been handy to find pics of.....took a lot of head scratching, looking and cider to work it out lol
    I only made 1 cut through each of the seat frames and bolted the new brackets in so if I ever want to return to stock I can just unbolt and then weld the frame.

11. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The one I have is not pretty, the hinge part only slots into the seat base, so the back rest is not very secure. I have kept it only because the rest of the base and back rest are sound. Would not use it in a bus as is :)
    Is a great idea though, good sized bed and keep all the seating!

12. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Just got home from picking up Bernard's new rims :) managed to score a set of 16x7 et31 Mercedes steel rims for a great price off gumtree :)
    Will gradually get them ready...repaint, new tyres, correct wheel nuts etc over the next few months. So happy! Been looking for a set at a reasonable price since I bought the bus!

Syncro27 and Resnort like this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Done well.
    Hard to find with a useful ET

14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The advert for them was shit. No info not even whether they were 15's or 16's so I assumed they were 15's and was happy. When I found out they were the 16's and et31 not the usual et37 I was ecstatic lol
    Then I got home and found an ad for a set of 15" c class steels with 65% tyres for $40! Pm me if you want to know where ;)
    Where would I find the fabled cbus tyre calculator?

15. Grantus

Rule of thumb for T3's and late bays for wheel fitment without needing machining or spacers:

5 x 112 PCD with an ET between 30 & 39 should just bolt on.

OD tyres need to be within 10% of stock size to keep your speedo needle close to accurate.

Other ET combinations are possible with time, effort and money......;)

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thats what we are chasing for Leo.
    Nearer the 30 would be good.
    Chuck a PM to him( weekender) would be handy .Ta.

Grant.
    Looked at Phils but ET too high for intended tyres.
    Too many other dropkicks that cant give details or post ads n clear off overseas for holidays

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Or 'miata' tyre calculator should give useful comparisons.

17. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Done Col :)

Weekender likes this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thanks

Weekender likes this.
  19. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

you cant just say 30-39 without adding a width. with the front ball joints on these things you have to be relatively specific. in saying that I have 17x7 +40. if they were 30 they would look nice, but would be pushing it and they fit well as is :D

20. Grantus

Mia Culpa. 30 -39ET was stock width VW issue steelies, or VW issue alloys........o_O