1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bernard the 83 T3

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Dapom, Aug 23, 2016.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully it's the end of it for you :rolleyes:

2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed!! Micks said they had never had a pertronix crap out before! How unlucky can I get?!? Lol

3. KahunaKombi

How many chinamen have you alienated..... or some saying similar to that without wanting to be tooooooo left wing and politically correct ..... so missed the in :p

Dapom likes this.
  4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Well the report is good! Bus is running stronger than it did with the last pertronix unit. Makes me think the last one was a lemon from day 1. I'm just happy he's back on the road :)
    Have also painted all exterior handles satin black, fitted a new pillar mount aerial, fixed the odometer for the 62nd time (failed again at 0.9k lol) and painted the shithouse empi exhaust with pot belly black again. I know they're shit but 18 months old, been out in the rain once and the exhaust is rusting badly on the seams. Stainless next time for sure...

hairyman and David H like this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. Them black handles will do it like a Wynn's sticker ;)
    The empi exhaust sounds true to type :)

Hopefully you might get some miles under its belt now

Recon you must be in the running for the greatest persistence award. ;)

KahunaKombi, Dapom and David H like this.
  6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed...I just won't know how many

7. KahunaKombi

Empi been crap systems for some time imo o_O here's something to get you salivating http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23768 :p ...... don't think Vintage Speed have a SS system for an '83 but could check http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.3234/.f ..... Mick Motors @ Northgate is now supplying the Vintage Speed gear ;)

hairyman likes this.
  8. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

We use the bay window vintage speed system. Thats whats under mine .
    Peanut oil is good for preserving raw metal exhausts, i rubbed my old one over after cleaning it up.....but i never used it. The idea is to coat it, burn it in. Repeat as many times as necessary, it shouldnt slowly look burnished and yellowed.

9. KahunaKombi

Wasn't 100% sure what Chris had compared to your's Bodo in regards to engine ...... :confused:

10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Same motor.....different injection and ignition system. Bodos is a lot nicer than mine lol
    Have looked at the vintage speed system and I reckon I could justify to the missus with a 'it'll last forever or I can spend $200 every 2 years' hehe I do have a semi decent header from the single box system that was on it when I bought it as well. That might go on with a single stainless can. Dunno. Long term plans....

Resnort likes this.
  11. KahunaKombi

Chris, at least you've options and have time to save ....... the longer you wait the more expensive it becomes.

I did a Nike with mine ...... Mrs complained about how loud the over the top SS system was (Igor was louder but sweeter) so Just Did It :eek:

Dapom, Resnort and David H like this.
  12. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I heard a stock type 4 engined bay window with a VS exhaust fire up for the first time at leons when i was last there. Much quieter than mine....or so it seemed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Dapom likes this.
  13. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The twin box empi on my bus is t exactly quiet...lol exhaust noise doesn't really bother me unless it drones and interferes with my music :)

Resnort likes this.
  14. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Honestly, mine is louder than i want it. But it sounds good

Dapom likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Loud is good

I love the sound of induction (& exhaust) on a cold sunny morning

Grantus and Resnort like this.
  16. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

And so here we go again :)
    So latest trip away ended on the recovery truck again. He made it 300k's and then started losing power very gradually...couldn't accelerate. I limped on until 70 was the best I could do (on the highway) and pulled up. Bus was still running but the pump was screaming! I called recovery and had a breakfast cider :)
    So I started investigating today and decided to check the tank for crap. Also needed to make up a new bush for the shifter joint above the tank and sort out all the tank breathers so resigned myself to it and dropped the tank.
    So this tank is 5yrs old (fitted by PO) and it was rusty inside and out. Various bits of rust breaking out on the outside and inside. A majority of the rust internally is on the 'ceiling' of the tank but there are a fair few patches throughout. Rinsed the tank out several times and was amazed at the amount of rust debris that came out!! Got as much as I could out and then cleaned up the outside of the tank and gave it a heavy brush coat of killrust. When the tanks dry inside I'm going to blast all the remaining loose crap out of it and then treat with ranex with a final metho rinse.
    Gotta find a pump prefilter/strainer in case I miss any bits. Will be interesting to see what's in the fuel filter when I open it up!
    Again I have been caught out. 'The tanks new' I thought...there won't be issues there. New stuff isn't always good stuff is my new motto lol
    On the bright side the bush I made up for the shifter linkage worked great and really tightened up the shift :)

David H likes this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Any idea where that "new tank" was sourced from....like seller or manufacturers? o_O

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have you been frequenting Woolworths fuel stations?

19. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

No idea I'm afraid. Was paint light grey....no makers stamp or such like :-/ was supplied and fitted by a garage on the sunny coast so have no purchase receipt in the records.
    No definitely not! I have a good reliable local bp and that's the only fuel I've put in it....never made it far enough from home to fill up 'on the road' bahah. Reckon the tank was rusty before I purchased the bus.....explains a lot!! Wish I'd checked it earlier lol

20. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I always use Caltex Woolworths fuel unless Im away & never had a problem. I don't think the major brands are the problem but individual stations & what is in their tanks in the way of crud & water.

Resnort and Dapom like this.