Bernard the 83 T3

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Dapom, Aug 23, 2016.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Been a few issues up our way of multiple car failures from contaminated fuel with woolies being main culprit but as you say, likely an individual servo issue.
    Usualy sand and water . likely degraded storage tanks or tanks brought back on line too quick after fills.
    Think the brains trust indicated that sealing internally with liquid sealers in t3 tanks was problematic?? . pity

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

reckon it has more to do with the grommets on the top of the tank letting water and crap in

I would be putting a new tank in

That is what I did a few months back and not regretted it

3. Dapom

Dapom Active Member

The grommets etc are all in good condition and sealed. The only crap in my tank was rust....not that that's a good thing lol
    Won't be replacing the tank as yet....as I say this ones only been in there 5yrs. Going to treat the rust and see how it goes. From looking at the tank there was more than enough rust debris in there to block the internal strainer and so cause my fuel starvation issues. Will see how it goes when it's re-installed :)

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Check the grommets in the expantion tanks in the wheel arches as that is where most water gets into the tank.

5. Dapom

Dapom Active Member

The passenger side grommet is all good...drivers side isn't.....mainly as the tank isn't there lol the hoses to it have been capped by PO. Resnort has one for me I've just gotta get over to him to get it :)

Resnort likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

More likely service station tanks full of crap and needing a clean/service/replace :confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O

7. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

As much as id go looking at grommets etc too.
    My bus had almost every bung broken or not there, holes in the top, breather tanks 5cm full of dirt and road grit........but when i cleaned the tank to fix and refit after 4 years sitting and rotting, it wasn't very dirty at all. Just lucky I guess.

Id assume its a combo of the "new" tank and shite fuel somewhere along the line.

Dapom likes this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

With the grommets etc for the fuel tank, lines, breather, filler etc they may look ok BUT the only way to be 100% sure is to fit a re-seal kit and do the roll over tanks & check the valves @ the same time ...... seeing the tank is out for a clean go all out and not worry about having to drop it again.
    I think Mick Motors may have a re-seal kit ...... here's where I went when I did the SC some years back http://www.van-cafe.com/fuel-tank-reseal-parts-c743 or http://www.van-cafe.com/fuel-tank-reseal-parts

9. Dapom

Dapom Active Member

I've replaced all the pipework for the breathers and made up an aluminium tube for the balance tube. All grommets were good except for the one on top of passenger side expansion tank which had been stuck in on gasket sealant....bit pointless when the tank was smashed lol luckily all pipes from the expansion tank had been plugged by mud wasps so no crap from there in the tank lol
    Really was just rust debris that came out. Did final flushes with petrol this eve and no more crap came out :) now I just need both expansion tanks and the metal pipes to the drivers side tank and for the first time since I've owned it all that stuff will be good!!

David H likes this.
  10. AC-T3

AC-T3 Active Member

..... recycled by the PO rather than buy a real new one. Even filled with sea water a new tank should last 5 years!

11. Dapom

Dapom Active Member

Its definitely not a vw tank and I have the receipt here for supply and fit of new tank. It's just a shitty repro is the issue. Hopefully with the refurb I've done, the expansion tanks installed and all pipework sorted (which will allow the tank to be filled lol) it'll last a bit better on this installation. Oh and no e10! Not that I have but PO did.

Syncro27 and Resnort like this.