Best and worst concerts ever?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Xtra' started by Dredhead, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

As an extension of another thread - "What are you listening to?" - I thought it'd be interesting for members to express their best and worst concerts.

My best is a toss up between Motley Crue, Aerosmith and Pink Floyd, just for sheer power (Crue), showmanship (Aerosmith), and presentation (Floyd). Not to mention the emotion that all three of these acts invoked, nearly brought to tears at all three.

Ive seen so many acts courtesy of my job. Unfortunately I was in the bleachers at Iron Maiden last year, my daughter was front and centre in the mosh, but at least I got to see them. Next time I'll take advantage of my AAA pass.

Lets see, Bon Jovi, ACDC, Powderfinger are up there too.

Worst would have to be David Guetta and Tim O Matic in Canberra this year. Tim O Matic was like a karaoke act, singing to taped music, and Guetta played the same song for his whole gig. Spose if you were pinging you could be sucked into it (and many were).

Doors were actually the Bores, Ian Astbury from the cult was trying over hard to be Jim Morrison and the insideous keybord just went on and on. Went to the bar after 20 minutes and thats where my girl found me when the show finished. Dylan at Bluesfest last year was extremely disappointing.

Gunners were good but the original lineup would have been stupendous.

My first real venture to a show was Midnight Oil at the Playroom at Palm Beach when I was 17, and the steam coming off Garrets bald head is a standout memory as is my one hour pash through Rose Tattoo's show there a couple of weeks later.

Any way I might add a few more later. Feel free to add your best, worst and most memorable concerts/acts and why.

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Kraftwerk 1976 UNSW Roundhouse worst ever!

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Done the beetles, done the monkeys. done the twilights.

4. Luckyphil

One of the best Deep Purple, Manfred Man & Pirrana Randwick Race Course. Another forgetable ond Jethro Tull Ent. Centre when Ian Anderson could not sing due to soar throat, no refund either. Pink Floyd David Bowie, ACDC and Carlos Santanna all great.

5. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Didn't see Santana but friends have said that he was a bit monotonous, and had many walking out.
    Would so love to see Purple, another early influence of mine.

How long ago did you see Bowie Phil?

6. Luckyphil

Hey Wazza Bowie was 1982 I think. Sanatna Was great I thought, was around 1982 as well both outdoors concerts

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The Church a few years back was one of the worst - they are brilliant but boring.
    Paul Weller blew me away both times I have seen him here at The Enmore.
    I remember walking out on Midnight Oil at Festival Hall Brisbane in about 84 or 85 as Peter Garrett kept talking instead of singing and I had already seen the best band on the night as support - Spy V Spy - which are still my all time favourite band.

But the absolute worst concert experience for me was Elton John at one of those winery concerts - NEVER AGAIN will I go to one of those - it was like watching him on TV with 2 big screens either side and wet ground underneath with women in heels falling over after being only able to drink bottles of wine or cups of Bluetongue beer - very disappointing.

8. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Phil, how awesome, they were in their prime back then. I was talking about the recent Santana tour, about two years ago. Still love Bowies stuff, never dates as far as I'm concerned.
    Aaah the stuff that todays kids have missed out on. I feel for them.
    Got a mate who saw Zep's last concert here, and also chatted with the guys from Purple as they left the concert venue in Sydney in early 70's. The Limo stopped just outside the gates as they were leaving and the boys got out and talked to the fans who were still around. Ian Gillan bummed a ciggy from my mate and had a good ol chat.

Long live rock n roll.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. Luckyphil

Hey just remembered Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Opera House awsome player RIP

10. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

It wasn't going to be this long when I started writing :)
    For sheer balls, I have to say AC/DC, saw them twice, 2001 and last year. The classics never get old and they only played really good new stuff, Angus just has it as does Brian Johnson Back in Black is still my All Time Favorite album).
    The loudest concert was Alice Cooper at the Canberra convention center 2009, I had ringing ears for two days after, loved every minute (again seen him twice, the first was in BrisVegas back in the early 90s)
    Saw the original Gunners back in 93 at Calder Raceway, support acts were excellent, Skid Row ad Rose Tattoo, it was loud and hard and full on ROCK, saw the Gunners again in 2007 supported by Rose Tatoo, Axl and the the new boys, if you didn't look at them you wouldn't know it wasn't Slash ad co up on the stage.
    2006 was Status Quo, Deep Purple and John Swan (Swannee) at in Woolongong, great venue, 4 thousand seats nice and close and loud, Swannee sang while I was at the bar, then Quo came on, I was laughing so much before they even plugged in cause I could feel the reverb from the amps pulsing through my body then they went to town on the 12 bar riffs and of course Purple ended with Smoke on the water (I am going to di a very happy man having seen them perform it live).
    Surprisingly Def Leppard in 2008 were fantastic also at Woolongong, all the 80s memories flooding back ad they were really entertaining.
    Motley in 2005 were better than Motley in 2011 IMHO.. but I did enjoy both concerts.
    Bon Jovi for sheer entertainment value seen them twice (yes I know they are "Country" now) but you can't deny you don't sing along in the car when it comes on, I had to lean "Dead or Alive" on the guitar so I could justify buying a 12 String to my wife (she loves Bon Jovi, she's an 80's chick).
    Then there is the perennial favorites ZZ Top, through the 60s, 70's and 80s and 90's, Billy opend with "same three guys playing the same three chords for over 40 years and still going" , Fantastic concert, supported by Rose Tattoo, again I am going to die happy now that I have seen La Grange live.
    And finally in the greatest concerts.. Cold Chisel in Canberra, Khe Sanh live, I joined the Army in 87 and served with some Vietnam veterans and the training was all about that war, when they played it I was wiping the tears from my eyes remembering the guys that mentored me when I joined.
    The Angels in Toowoomba Jan 89, how could forget full on Aussie Rock,
    David Bowie Serious Moonlight in 83 was pretty good too, supported by the Models, I was young and wanted to impress a girl (had Quiet Riot in the tape player of the car there and home:) )
    Other Ok concerts were Meatloaf back in the mid 90s Bat out of Hell 2 at the Palais in Melbourne, Fleetwood Mac in BrisVegas 91 or 92? Pink in Sydney 2009 (she was entertaining), Rob Thomas (wife dragged me as payback after Motley Crue :) ) and John Butler without the Trio in Newtown a few years back was pretty good, seen Jon Stevens (Noiseworks) twice really like the acoustic stuff.

Now the bad:
    Missy Higgins in Canberra was pretty bad.
    Sorry INXS in 2006 with JD Fortune, even my wife didn't like them.
    Powder Finger in 2007 at Woolongong, they had a bad night.
    U2 in Melbourne 2006, Bono on his political high horse just shits me to tears.

Regrets (couldn't get there):
    Gary Moore, Metalica, Kiss, Ronnie James Dio and Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, Heart (just Barracuda would be cool) and Poison (apparently touring nest year with original lineup)

11. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Melissa, always thought The Church had a few good songs but they dont exactly lend themselves to an energetic type of show though. We often work the Sirromet winery shows, and have seen Train (great), Baby Animals (awesome as usual), INXS (ho hum this time), Steve Winwood (not up to expectations), Steely Dan (spent the whole show telling everyone how great they were) to name a few.

12. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Back to INXS, I've seen them a few times but always remember the first time, before they broke huge, again at the Playroom at Palmy, $5 cover charge. We were kikced out for throwing cans at them coz they sucked big time. Glad to say they improved.

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Best concert ever: DEEP PURPLE. Sydney 1986 ish...

Short gig at the Melbourne Grand Prix, 2001. Met the guys after the gig, and had a great chat to boot.

RIP Jon Lord. You were not only a brilliant musician and writer, but a true gentleman as well. :heart:

14. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Bestest. Deep purple x2 , Jimmy Buffett @ Sydney opera house was a great party , Paul Kelly , James Taylor & Carol King
    Worst. The support act for U2 J Z. Bloody appalling !
    Many others but these come to mind
    Cheers Mark

15. melissa

Saw a few good gigs at The Playroom - best one was Cold Chisel's Last Stand gig - then saw them again the night after at Festival Hall. I remember one of my first gigs going out "in town" was seeing The Numbers at The Ambassador in Newcastle - Newcastle people will know what I mean. ;) The Palais was another place that was great and always loved seeing Hunters and Collectors there.

16. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

My wife saw the Hunters and Collectors a few months back in Canberra, she called me and let me listen to "Holy Grail" live on the phone, gotta love the 80s (well it was 92 but close enough)

17. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Wondered when you were gonna join in Carl. Here we go.
    ACDC used to play my mates high school in the early days when Angus was about 15. Love Back in Black to pieces too. Theres no denying the BJ era is awesome but I think that the Bon Scott era had a bit more variety to the material. Cant count the Acca Dacca songs I've played over the years. I still think Powerage or Let There Be Rock are my favorite albums. Maybe theres another thread just on ACDC alone here. Saw them mid 90's in Brizzy.
    Saw Alice Cooper Just after Poison was released, still gets me Air Guitar'in, or if the amps close by the neighbors get a pretty loud dose.

Gunners about 5 years ago and yeh the show was pretty much note for note to the original lineup, supported by Sebastian Bach and the Tatts. Know Geordie from Tatts as he used to work with my ex, and lives just up the hill.

Quo were the main group that inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place, blastin Mum and Dad out with their Live album mid 70's. Anyone who says they're only 3 chord wonders have probably only heard the radio stuff. So much more to them, simple - yes. Catchy - yes. Talented - Roll Over Lay Down.
    Funny that blues as a genre bores me for the most part and I dont like the twangy tone of a Telecaster but Quo combine the two and again are the first band I'd say that I hero worshipped.
    Warning - Another story coming up, I'll try to abreviate it: My cousin was a caddy on the international golf circuit for Brett Ogle, late 80's. Played a Pro Am on the Sunny Coast against the Partyboys who gave them free admission to all SEQ gigs as a result. Cuz was staying at our place for the Palm Meadows tournament, and went to Partyboys gig in Briz. Cuz came back to our place and dragged the missus and I up to the PBoys motel just up the road at about 3am. So got to have a smoke and drink with Swannee, the Brewsters (ex Angels at the time) and Alan Lancaster and John Coghlan (both ex Status Quo) till dawn. Still buzzin to this day.

Chisel, mostly at the Playroom. Geez we used to get some fn awesome bands there till the Qld govnment destroyed the place and built a car park on the site.
    ZZ Top, Angels, Tatts @ Carrara raceway, cant remember much about that one (you were young once too so you know how it is.)
    Also Chisel recently at Bluesfest, sidestage with my AAA pass, as well as John Fogherty, same pass. Honourable mention to Kenny Wayne Shepherd especially on All Along The Watchtower.
    TBC, off to grab some sleep now.

18. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Definitely have to agree on that one.

19. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Just a side note to Swanee and Acca,
    My mate in Bendigo is the manager of John Swan and Dave Evans (original lead singer of Acca) and a couple of others.
    As for being young, don't quite remember, I think I was drunk :)

20. melissa

Speaking of U2 support acts - I have a massive 2 piece poster of Spy V Spy - must be about 10 feet by 6 feet- and in small letters on the bottom its says "With U2" - lol, its from 1984 and was given to me by Blox.