Best and worst concerts ever?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Xtra' started by Dredhead, Jul 20, 2012.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

For me its between 3.
    1- The Who - Cause its The Who!
    2- Deep Purple - Cause they make Guitars sing like Voilins.
    3- Old Man River at the Globe Theatre - Is was quite so they came and sat amonst the crowd and performed their songs that way.
    (Oh, and anything at the Tivoli!)

Worst - Fleetwood Mac - Cause Stevie Nicks is like a walking corpse with no stage presence anymore.

2. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

Roger Waters "The Wall" ANND "Dark Side Of The Moon" by far the two best I've ever been to! and I've been to aaaaaalot!!!!

3. perksyaus

perksyaus Member

I would have to say one of the best for me was U2 love comes to town purely for BBKing - and one of the worst would be U2 lemon tour cause it was outside at the SCG and the sound was shit.
    Honorable mentions - Bowie, Bjork at Canberra theatre (not much of a talker but the sound was great) ACDC last tour, Cher -cause I lurve Cher :)
    The one that got away - I had tickets to the INXS tour that never happened due to the deminse of Hutchence....

Denise

4. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Worst - Fleetwood Mac - Cause Stevie Nicks is like a walking corpse with no stage presence anymore.[/QUOTE]

When I saw Fleetwood Mac back in 90/91 Stevie changed here dress after every song, when i say changes she came out in the same style jsut different colour.
    But Mick Fleetwood and Lindsay Buckingham were very cool.

5. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Has anyone walked in to a pub on a Friday night and seen an act that just blew them away??
    I use to go to the Lake Hotel in Toowoomba (87-90) and every Friday there was always a band on, some of the lesser are Indecent Obsession (David Dixon), Kakadu who had a hit with the theme from "Crcodile Dundee", The Divynls they very cool, but the best band we ever saw there was Bourbon Street (88-90), best blues outfilt on the road at the time.

6. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

BOURBON STREET!!! Local Legends. Had to be there for every gig they played at the Playroom. Horace was my guitar idol and man, always blew everyone away with his performance.
    Real DTE guys too. Still got a tape of theirs somewhere.

7. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Byron Bay RSL Australia day long weekend 1989, 20+ Army guys and girls from Towwomba intent on drinking the bar dry and they recognized us from the Lake Hotel, we had a great night.. I think :)
    I really enjoy their cover of Georgia Satellites Keep your hands to yourself amongst many others.

8. RodG

RodG New Member

i worked in a band agency in Adelaide for 10 years and can remember booking Cold Chisel, ACDC, The Angels, Split Enz and more for between $400 to $600 a night doing 2 x 45 minute sets, thats when they first started out ofcourse. Great days, oh and being event organisers we got to see and mix with most of the big international acts touring during the late 70's - 80's Alice Cooper, Kiss, Electric Light Orchestra,Stones, Bowie, Yes, Santana/Osibissa OMG too many to mention.
    My first concert i went to was Deep Purple, Manfred Man, Free (Paul Rogers) and one of Bon Scots first bands Fraternity. I saw Led Zepplin at Memorial Drive when i was young too. Oh so many memories of the good old days.
    I came to Melbourne to work with Men At Work, tour managed Dynamic Hepnotics and Boom Crash Opera, then i moved into another career.
    Had some great years thats for sure.

9. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day RodG,
    Sounds like you should write a book, but then again, they may pay you not to write it :)

10. RodG

RodG New Member

Hey Carl, now that would be a good idea ..but you'd need far to much paper, and i do like looking after the environment and i dont have the patience to write.
    catch you in ACT sometime
    Cheers mate

11. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day Rod,
    If you are around this way drop us (KCers) a line, always like to put hface to a name :)

12. RodG

RodG New Member

Hi Carl thanks mate if i'm ever in Canberra or close by i will surely let you know.
    cheers
    Rod

13. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

That would be cool.
    Alternatively, I will be in Melb in Oct, I may drop you a line, I think there is a pub in Richmond :) we could meet at.

14. Justin

Justin Active Member

guns n roses december 2010 at ANZ stadium . . . second time i'd seen them , but this was an absolutely insane concert !

axl rose is getting on , but man the guy knows how to melt my mind with his insane voice !!

was prob one of the only few in the crowd that knew the words to the songs on the chi-dem album :(

15. skat66

skat66 Member

Worst was a Beach Boys concert in Adelaide in mid 70's So off their face that some of them could not finish the gig. Best are recent concerts of ACDC, Split Enz and Pink Floyd, even got to go back stage and have a beer with Rodger Waters at half time.

16. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Yeh it sux when you fork out good moola and get a bunch of guys more concerned with feeding their habits than putting on a professional show for the fans that got them where they are. But that was the way it was in the 60's and 70's ... 80's, 90's, naughties, and teenies, but pleased to say most major acts put the fans first these days and leave the recreation for the after party.

17. Dredhead

Dredhead Member

Felt sorry for Ozzie Osbourne a few years ago. Great show, Zakk ripping it on guitar. But as usual with heavier acts it was under advertised and filled out only half of Festival Hall Brissy.
    But made it easier to get in and out of the mosh. You could see the 'why am I bothering' look on Ozzies face between songs when trying to gee up the audience of about 200 people (probably a bit more but I was a bit hazy in those daze).

18. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

I think that is feeling of most "Support" acts, there is normally less than 30% of the punters in the auditorium, they are all at the bar waiting for the main show.
    Had to feel Sorry for Swannee, he opened for Rose Tattoo and ZZ Top in Wollongong, I don't think there was anyone other than the ushers in the stadium.

19. skat66

skat66 Member

Went to one a year or so ago where 10cc, the support act to Roger Rodgerson were better than the main act.

20. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

have seen elo (my first) bowie twice (very good) collins x 3 (very very good), queen (shite), the enz (very very good) Barnes (very shite) u2 twice, police and recently coldplay, matchbox 20 foo fighters (ok) powderfingers final show, all first class. Just waiting again to see the best in March, going to both shows