Best and worst concerts ever?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Xtra' started by Dredhead, Jul 20, 2012.

1. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Just waiting again to see the best in March, going to both shows[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are going to see the Boss JD

2. dakdak

dakdak Member

the 2 that stand out are slade at the horden 1974 theres nothing like a slade concert and deep purple perfect strangers tour 1984
    the worst by far was the phil collins show or genesis as it was called i walked out after 3 songs,along with about 50 people from one side of the stage after he insulted them

3. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

Sounds like you are going to see the Boss JD[/QUOTE]

yes sir....both shows..did u see his performance last night? cant wait

4. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Best: Saw the Clash at Cloudland in 82 (?) -- brother snuck me in, to be honest too young to really get it, sprung floor, everyone got seasick.
    Joe Strummer at the Metro about 10 years ago. Best gig I've ever seen. Closely followed by the Specials at the Enmore, and the Stones at the Enmore (this last just because it is such a -- comparatively -- small venue)
    Oh, and the Stray Cats at some seedy strip pub on the Goldy about 15 years ago. No idea what they were doing there. I don't think they knew what they were doing there. Just kinda turned up ...

Can't think of any especially bad ones .. Paul Weller at the Tivoli, but only because he cancelled late and we couldn't make the revised date.

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I would have been devastated if that had happened to me. Both times I have seen him at the Enmore have been brilliant and if ever I get to visit England I will make sure I see him play when I am there - one day ;)

6. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

I used to enjoy a pub in Brisbasne called the Queens in the mid 70s - it had great oz bands such as Chisel, angels, Jo Jo Zep, Skyhooks and others on any other weekend. At Festival hall saw many such as ELO, Beach Boys, Status QUo, even saw Bob Marley - through the smoke haze! At outdoors saw Deep Purple, Phil Collins, Elton & Billy J. - I liked them all really. Bad - Splitz ends seems to still stand out. Went to see the Pretenders once - at a place they called "Fowlers Lane"' behind Byron. due to beers during the afternoon, I woke up just as they finished!

7. Reggie

Reggie New Member

Most hilarious was Tex Perkins at Smiggin Holes. He thought he was just hot £%!# and the women swooned. I was a bouncer and had no idea who he was when I asked to see his wrist band and he wasn't impressed.

Worst ever was my first concert, Amy Grant in Canberra in 89 at AIS with a youth group (not the band). Stadium was 3/4 empty and freezing cold.

Best ever concerts were Jimmy Barnes with Diesel at the Tathra Pub, Hunters and Collectors also Tathra, The Whitlams and Superheist at Happy Jacks, not in the same concert. (also working as bouncer and on stage for these too)

I worked a lot of events and pubs and clubs and saw many bands. Some of them were crap way back then and are big now, some of them were once great bands but on their way out and some are ageless awesomeness.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

The worst was Rose Tattoo, just dreadful,
    Eric Clapton was good he had Tommy Emmanual as support so a really good night.
    Stones, Floyd, U2, AC/DC, Bowie, Joe Cocker etc all good.

Recent surprise - Ed Sheeran in Adelaide, I have a teenage daughter who wanted to go, I wasn't too fussed but did the Dad thing, 1 hour 45 minutes on stage with 1 guitar and no band, just a loop pedal, bloody fantastic!

Steve

9. van persie

van persie Member

Would have liked to see Ed Sheeran,and by the sounds of it I'm sorry I didn't. Saw Bryan Adams last week ( didn't want to, but missus a big fan ). Thought he was very good tho, strong voice and sang what the crowd wanted to hear. Well worth a $100.
    Cheers Jon.

10. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Bootleg Beatles

These guys were good. Saw them last night in Brisbane. They look like, act like, play like and sing like the real Beatles. They change dress and hair for 4 different periods of the Beatles era across the show. "Paul" even plays base left handed.

I would see them again any time.

Leo

11. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. Probably the worst concert would be late Billy Thorpe at Nambour RSL not long before he Passed away my wife was a big fan all her teenage life I wasn't but went along. she came out absolutely shattered after waiting so long to see him live I came out even more convinced of why I like Neil Diamond. As far Australian act's go hard to beat John English when ever he is performing between Twin Towns & Nambour we try to get there. verrrryyyyy baddest was Cold chisel at Randwick race course as support for Rod Stewart in late 77 early chisel were booed of stage & jimmy's parting words were you can all get F*^%$#d
    ernie

12. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

yes sir....both shows..did u see his performance last night? cant wait[/QUOTE]

ended up seeing him 7 times...Melb feb14 highlight..saturday concert 3.30 hr and played whole Born in usa album, sunday concert played whole of Born to Run album 3.45 hrs of bliss. Ended up meeting him and a few of the band, sang a few lines in Melb march 13.

13. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

going to see "the White Album"at qpac. looking forward to it, has huge wraps.Taking my 15yr old for his bday pressie. refuse to by them clothes, computer games etc for bdays. only buy them concert tickets :) they have seen Mallencamp , meatloaf , powderfinger , springsteen twice front row , coldplay,

And got great tickets to the Eagles next year.

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Too Old - seen too many

Saw Ry Cooder at the Palais in Mel'burg and that was cool

But seeing him at a concert hall where the block of units are at the Connaught in Oxford St, Sydney was cool in about 1976
    Pretty sure Dave Lindley was with him. LOVE Dave Lindley
    Saw hime a year or 3 ago at the Enmore with Jackson Brown
    Not too keen on JB - but Lindley with El Ray O X rocked

I also saw Rodriguez in the same cancert hall in 1977??

Alice Cooper "Welcome to My Nightmare" - 1978?? was a blast

I saw AC-DC in 1973 at Ryde Youth Centre - that was cool

So was Cold Chisel in about 1976 at Meadowbank Tech

My mate was stage manager for INXS in about 1986?? for the Kick Inside Tour and got "full" back stage pass

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  15. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all forgot the Queen stage musical We will rock you at the lyric in brissie absolutely brilliant show.
    ernie

16. tinymcmassive

tinymcmassive Member

the best concert I have been to was pearl jam at Thebarton oval in 98. came out of the pit with a black eye and non matching shoes. still cant figure that out. the worst was the chilli peppers. they were terrible I was very let down.

17. DPS 65

DPS 65 New Member

G'day folks,

Great thread this one. Like many, I've been to many gigs over the years with most being great, some just awesome & others just pretty disappointing.

One of the best shows I've seen back in the mid 2000's was the pommy prog rock band YES at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. That was just an awesome experience........ Another memorable show was watching Roger Waters perform 'The Wall' at The Wall in Berlin back in 1990 whilst I was bumming around Europe back all those years ago.

As an old fella (these days) who just loves good music, I can't recall ever seeing a bad Oz band in the old smoke filled pubs & clubs back in the 80's & 90's. I used to sweat bucketloads & get covered in others beers at gigs from artists such as The Angels, The Radiators, Oils, V Spy V Spy, Rose Tattoo etc etc.

The stand out worst concert I ever went too was at The Sydney Entertainment Centre back in '84 when I shelled out big $$$$ (at the time) to see a big new international act known as U2. The PA was crap, the vocals were ordinary & just a really dud show. Go figure how well they've prospered since then......

Cheers & beers,
    Dave

P.S. I really should get around to properly introducing myself & my T4 Kombi on this site soon. I've been loitering around this site for near on 18 months now......

18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Dave,
    was that the U2 concert where Spys played support?

19. sacky

sacky Member

The 3 best I have seen Pink Floyd Fleetwood Mac and as a kid the Big O Roy Orbison. The worst by a long shot Bob Dylan, crap live

20. DPS 65

DPS 65 New Member

Hi Melissa & thanks for the welcome. I will soon get around to doing a proper intro to this site with a few pics.

I honestly couldn't tell you who the support act was for the U2 show. I still to this day rarely turn up to a gig before the main act starts. I didn't start getting into Spy V Spy until late '85ish when they released their first album - Harrys Reasons. The usual fare for mates & I back in the day was to wet the whistle at The Great Southern & then head down to the Ent Cent. Nothing's changed really on that score, just the watering hole may differ..........

I have a vague memory that the U2 concert was (maybe?) the first one in Sydney on their tour & that they replayed at least one song, maybe two........ Must've just been an off nite for them.

Cheers,
    Dave