Best features of a camper conversion?

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by jobell, Nov 6, 2016.

1. jobell

jobell Active Member

Hello kombi peeps,

Finally making moves towards a new (for me) 4wd camper and debating the merits of buying a van with a camper set up or buying a basic van and doing my own camper interior. Of course, the advantage of doing my own is making it just right for me. So I'm doing a list of the features that I would want in a camper conversion. I thought I would ask for a little help from all of those out there with campers - which is your favourite feature of your camper? And why?

Thanks heaps,

Jo

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Jo, I think a full width R & R is important to get a good nights sleep if 2 on board. Double gets extra cupboards but a good night sleep is more important to me.

betsy and Marlyn like this.
  3. Lois lane

Lois lane Active Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey Jo, second a full width bed. Also a slide out cupboard for the stove that allows you to cook outside is our fave update. Good quality fridge and a few 12v and 240v points with a second battery/ solar panel setup for free camping.
    Added a few photos :D hope this helps image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. jobell

jobell Active Member

Good point on the full width bed Phil and Lois. Iwill add that to the list. I have had to share the 2/3 width bed in my current kombi a couple of times. Not the best night's sleep that's for sure....

5. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Joanne, I just fitted out our 4WD T3.
    It came with a pop top, which I wouldn't be without now, as it's great to be able to stand up.
    We think our Dometic spirit stove is the best (no gas bottle and portable). Definitely a rock and roll bed for the flexibility.
    A removable compressor fridge if you've got someone to give you a hand with it, so you're not carrying extra weight when it's your daily driver.
    A double battery setup and a solar panel fixed to the pop top.(No one knows it's there, and you don't have to think about it.)
    An awning for that extra room under cover.
    I hope this helps.
    Gerry

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Dishwasher would be nice....(not the Give the bucket to the more sober partner type), but an automatic load, switch on and forget, to then unload all clean and sparkly in the morning type one. :)

Does such a thing exist for a camper? :rolleyes:

7. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Put insulation on your list - I've fitted out a few campervans and insulation makes a huge difference. I've tried a few ideas and found recycled rubber ( like they use in playgrounds) on all the floor area's and styrofoam for the walls and ceilings works well. Got lucky with my last van conversion when I scored as much styrofoam as I needed free from an office company's packing discards.

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jo,
    Just saw (on a mates van) an awning that attaches to the side & takes in the side & then fans around the rear. Needs a few poles but gives so much space. From Jaycar I think. Bloke told me it was $275.
    And also all listed above!
    Cheers,
    David H

9. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Hi Jo
    for me ...best features full width bed,
    Pop top...instantly transforms the space
    tinted windows...means i mostly dont bother with window coverings.

cheers Jerome

10. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, when you put anything up against a panel do you increase the risk of the panel rusting, what precautions have you taken to prevent this, also what do you use to keep the styro in place .
    Regards Chris

11. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

I dont glue the styro to the outer panels ( although selleys liquid nails works - does'nt eat it like other products) I just cut it really tight, jam it in and then cover it with cabinetry or panel skins. The Styrofoam is reall good to help minimise radiated heat from the outer metal panel and its used in cold rooms bonded to steel to stabilise temperature - also in patio roof panels.
    I guess condensation is a potential problem but hav'nt had that problem.

regards,

Kim

chris taylor likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

As long as the insulating material is not moisture absorbent, and the panel has decent protective paint, the risk of rust should be minimal, or even reduced, by less condensation on the panel with temperature differences.

13. chris taylor

Hi Kim , this is one of those subjects that merits a lot more discussion in as much as its potential to do two things at once :ie: sound deadener plus insulation, the latter being a very good option for those doing restoration work where all interior panels and roof linings are usually off. Not to sure how use it once all cupboards ,fridges and so on are in place but I'm sure there would be a way.
    Regards Chris

14. chris taylor

mmmm, your right Grantus, would not think that polystyrene would hold any moisture and I guess that once there is a full covering of sealer or glue between it and the panel all would be good.

15. chris taylor

Hi Jobell , how you doing, the last time I saw your bus {at Forbes } it looked a real treat I believe you told me then that you had done most of the work your self, correct me if I am wrong ,anyhow, I only have a 3/4 bed but that's ok for me , if there was going to be two people sleeping in it ,it would be to small. The only problem with a full bed is the fact that you will lose some cupboard space but that is not a big issue, some people like lots of cupboards some don't. More cupboards means more junk, which invariably never gets used o_O ,
    look forward to catching up at Lake Mac.
    regards Chris

16. jobell

jobell Active Member

Hi Chris,
    I had the work done for me but can't take credit for doing it myself. Glad you liked her though, she's a fab little camper. I agree that a 3/4 bed is plenty for one person, which I why I bumped my partner to his swag outside last time we went away! I don't know that I will make it to Lake Mac, but if not then I certainly hope to be at the 2018 Bus Stop. Hope to catch up with you then maybe.
    Cheers.

chris taylor likes this.