1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place for a winch?

Discussion in 'Body' started by Van Housing, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I have been daydreaming recently about taking my kombi on a holiday through remote areas.... but as it is a 2WD bay (and not a T3 Syncro) my thoughts often end up with the problems that could be encountered (eg getting bogged). Now, while it is possible to buy wider tyres, or semi-deflate them, I keep thinking it would be handy to have a winch with which to pull Woger out of trouble....

The neatest place to put a winch, IMO, would be on the roo-bar - but then I'd be afraid that I'd pull the roo-bar off the kombi, along with half the chassis.... :eek: ... I suppose the winch could also be attached to the front bumper - but I'd rather not permanently damage my kombi's looks!

Does anyone have any experience in installing a winch on their kombi - how much did it cost (ie what is the minimum sized winch I should look at), how well does it work (should I get a hand-cranked model?), where was it placed (eg will I need to drill into the chassis, say)?

2. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

The best place for a winch is on the truck that pulls you out! :lol:

Sorry Woz, couldn't resist!

The roo bar would be fine unless you were axle deep, but I would suggest a detachable hand-powered winch so that you can pull her out forward or backwards even if the donk/battery is dead.

You'll probably find yourself pulling bogged 4 wheel drives out! :lol:

Ray & da Boyz

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Make sure that you film it for funniest home video when it comes off:lol:

4. Van Housing

I wouldn't mind a hi-def plasma TV! So I can't really lose.... :lol: I thought the roo bar might be best... I'll look for a detachable winch then (as chances are we'd end up nose-first!)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  5. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Woz, I don't know where to put it, but I drove a 1984 Nissan Bluebird wagon across to the west, through the southwest, and got into all kinds of stupid situations. I never did deliberately, but it's inevitable in some occasions. After the first messup, I bought a hand-cranking winch from the Margaret River disposals. It got me out of no less than three pickles. And, yes, I did help a 4wd with it. He had no winch and was bogged. The hand crank is obviously slow, but a $600 electric job doesnt do anything your hand one doesn't.

Still, prevention is better than a cure, of course. But my opinion is that those things are great, cheap and effective. I think the electric jobs are suited to folks who know they're going to get bogged regularly, and the extraction is a recreational pursuit where others choose photography, birdwatching or preserving olives.

6. Van Housing

I'll take the photography, birdwatching and olives thanks! :)

Thanks for the tip on disposals stores, I'll shop around for a solid hand-cranked detachable winch.... it would be good to get one soon, we hope to go dirt-track camping in a couple of weeks and knowing it is in the back would ease driver stress (and I always prefer prevention to cure....) :)

And again thanks for the advice everyone! The winch has gone up in priority from "it would be nice" to "let's get one now!" :)

7. Dingostrategy

The other indispensible, and any 4wd or bush camper will tell you, is a saw. Chainsaw might be overkill but one of those proper hand chain jobs and or a top notch axe might be a winner. You need only refer to my intro thread to understand why I oughtta take my own advice from time to time.

8. Van Housing

We have a hatchet in the back, but a bow-saw or similar would also be handy... but now I am starting to think we are going to need a trailer... :umm:

It can also be handy to invite another kombi along... This is Cammo assisting another member...

[​IMG]

9. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

We just traveled 2000 k's with a trailer Woz, no problem to tow and loved having all the gadgets...camped with complete comfort! You wont regret it!
    Rich

10. Van Housing

Yeah, I'm jealous of the distance you travelled, and the people you met... :) I hope we get a chance for a similar trip sooner rather than later.

As for the trailer.... I am thinking of one of those covered ones, with the sides that open.... it would be great, a convenient place to chuck the chairs, table, toolbox, water etc... and we could finally take that bulky (non-VW) annexe... and best of all, we wouldn't have to empty the kombi every time we stopped just to get into bed!

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I agree with the comment already given. I carry a hand winch under the back seat (under the bed) and a bow saw which fits to the back of the cupboard inside the rear door. Since purchasing the hand winch I have only required it once in all of the travels I have put in to remote parts of this country. It was near Broome when I got the camper and trailer well and truly bogged in sand. I was just about to run out the winch when the brother-in-law came back with his 4WD threw on a chain and hauled me out. So the winch has not been christened.

[​IMG]

I also travel with a trailer and would never be out there without it now. Just makes life a whole lot easier.

12. Van Housing

Another question - if there is, say, no tree to which to attach the winch (as it appears in the above photo) - it is possible to drive a big stake or something into the ground, or is that (as I imagine) just wishful thinking?

13. Dingostrategy

I'd go for trailer but for one thing: parking.

14. Van Housing

I wouldn't take it into the city! :lol:

I can imagine that sometimes it could be a nuisance - but I suppose on those occasions it could be unhitched, eg for trips into town or to turn around on a narrow road......

I like the look of Ian's trailer, it seems ideal, with the big doors and rack on top... handy.... :)

15. Dingostrategy

According to Alby Mangel, you just bury the spare and attack your cable to that. Then, you fly to town in a borrowed chopper, with a hot bikini girl.

Luckily, at that moment, I found an old doppler ultrasound unit, which enabled be do diagnose the embolism. I was able to repair it with my tyre lever. Then, I swam in the gorge with Helga, a Swedish backpacker who I picked up earlier that day.

16. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

My nickname for some of high school was Alby Mangels - not because I picked up any Swedish backpackers but because I had no tan... (no tan, albino, alby... yeah real funny...).

I find the axe absolutely indispensable - from removing that shattered exhaust system on the Bloomfield Track, to illegal foreshore bonfires at Port Douglas...

Don't forget - like someone else alluded to above - if you're bogged good and proper, the extra resistance of the mud/sand/whatever will multiply the strain/weight on the winching gear, so maybe go heavy on cable diameter... but I'm sure the pros will have plenty of advice on that.

When I was training for my rigger's ticket the guy told us a story about a bus that went over a cliff in Afghanistan or somewhere like that - they brought along a crane corresponding to the weight of the bus. But the bus landed in mud and went in a fair way - effectively doubling it's weight as far as lifting it out was concerned - and you guessed it the crane ended up falling in on top. There is another clip on the net somewhere of the same thing happening with some guys trying to crane a vehicle out of the sea at the end of a wharf.

I know towing and rigging are two different games but the safe working load of your lifting/towing gear is a critical factor to safe usage in either case. Let us know what you end up doing - I was having similar thoughts about winches only a day or two ago!

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The best thing would be to speak to the people at ARB.

Don't buy cheap equipment or you may die:(

18. Van Housing

I'll certainly update with the winch I buy, as well as any other onfo that I obtain (such as prices).... I will also look at ARB... there is no point spending money on a winch if it won't be up to the task - and I certainly don't want danger!!! :eek:

Thanks Nik and Phill for your advice. :)

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Woz
    Sorry just saw this post, you can't put an electric winch on the front unless you do some major structural welding and never pull with the bull bar.......You will simply pull it off. If you want a bullbar winch you are going to need a heavy duty customized bar with the winch mounts welded into the chasis .....no alloy and no tube steel.

Remember to always connect the winch low and preferable to a tow point. If you aint got one would be worth welding one in. Rear you can attach to tow bar.

Next get some very large D shackles 3-4 of them .....extremely handy and quick to then attach especially bogged in water .......if you do get a tow point welded to the front of the chasis make sure you can reach it from the bumper bar without putting your head under the car.

Also a snatchem strap can be used as a tree saver with some of the d shackles and also gives you winch extra cable length.
    Cheers