1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware - - - - Scam

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Chapowskie, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Chapowskie

Chapowskie New Member

Good evening

my name is tom, i am a new member. i am a long time admirer of the VW and Kombi, and now I'm about to step into the market place to buy. I thought i would share this experience with you...

After attempting to contact a 59 splitty ad, which deep down I knew was too goo to be true... i got this as a response 3 weeks later:

Hi and sorry for my late reply. The 1959 Volkswagen Kombi is still available, it has been well taken care of, always garaged and it has only 174,778 km. It has no damage, no accident and no finance, I have all the papers and documents.
    The price I am asking is AU $7,400. I was serving in RAAF Melville Island, NT but I was just promoted and transferred to RAAF United Kingdom for a 5 years period, therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer. Before leaving for England I left the car at our Military Logistic Department from RAAF Melville Island, AU army, all crated and ready to go. I've arranged the shipping and the papers transfer anywhere in Australia. The shipping will be free of charge because I will transport it using the internal logistic department.
    I want the transaction to be handled only through Google (Google Wallet - Escrow Services) because they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions, both for buyer and seller. You will make the payment to Google Wallet and they will keep the money in a secure bank/escrow account until you will receive and inspect the car. I will pay for the registration fees. You will have 7 days to inspect it. If the car is not as described it will be shipped back on my expense and Google will refund the money to your account. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before committing to buy it and I know that you have the money available for purchase.
    In order to move forward and register the transaction with Google Wallet UK I will need your full name and address, after that they will send you the instructions on how to safely make the payment to them.

Kind Regards,
    Lt Col. Darryl Lamond

Needless to say i reported this scam to ebay and the ad has since been removed.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ta. common theme and form with ripped off photos. good call , glad you didnt get ripped

similar on gumtree etc as well so heads up

cheers
    col

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

A typically shoddy and poorly researched scam effort, I give it 3/10. These scammers are getting quite lazy.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Pity this pr*ck couldn't be dealt with by the Army......I'm sure they would be too happy about their reference.....
    Glad you didn't lose the cash
    Always inspect a bus yourself, ( or have someone you trust do it ), & if you can't touch it, don't part with ANY money.
    Sure there are folks that have successfully bought off evil-bay sight unseen but they are in the minority.

Your bus will find you, it'll just be a matter of time. Good luck with the search & welcome to KC.
    Enjoy the ride. :cool:
    Cheers, Mark

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

This bloke has had several goes at this scam even with this 59 splitty photos.

Interesting ebay username - "con-lam"

6. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with these a holes, they do catch some poor innocent devil and we dont hear about it.

7. Chapowskie

Chapowskie New Member

thanks for the feedback and input. nice to meet you all

i look forward to sharing my new ride with you all one day in the future... hopefully the bus doesn't take too long to find me oldman ;)

all the best till then

8. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

If you can't look at that advertisement and identify it as less than legitimate you deserve to be fleeced.

9. Nico

Nico New Member

Scam also found on - "vw bussale com"

Same scam found on "vw.bussale.com". Same text, same person, same amount. It looked to good to be true.