1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigger brakes appraisal

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by peter915, May 17, 2017.

1. peter915

peter915 Guest

A chap on The Samba - from Australia, is looking for info on any larger brakes fitted to a Syncro.
    He's spoken to an Engineer here in Oz and the engineer wants some documentation to show these bigger brakes meet or exceed the ADR's.
    Dude says the South African wagon had larger brakes??
    Any comments or leads ?
    Peter

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes SA had some larger brakes.

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I just had my Smallcar G60 ones fitted by my mechanic - no engineering just yet - but loads better brakes! :D

4. peter915

peter915 Guest

Yeah - I've done the bigger anchors too...

But is there anything - documentation showing the SA options ?

5. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

If the South African brakes were made my VW as new equipment on a T3 and you are fitting them to a T3, I don't think I would worry too much about getting them engineered

6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

What ADRs are you looking for Peter?

For the individual parts that make up the conversion? Or the brakes as a whole?

If you are doing a conversion using parts from cars available here, half the work is done.

7. hdj80

hdj80 Member

I had a 80 Series HDJ80 that I have recently sold to my son, Now that had terrible brakes that were massively improved with a set of slotted rotors and bendix pads. My son has just bought some braided lines for it and they should offer better braking as well.
    The thing is my Syncro in comparasion to the 80 series has brillant braking standard and looking at the components i.e. disks and pads they are pretty heavy looking and more so than the 80 which had much larger wheels 285x75x16 33" Wheels and Tyres... Personally I recon my Syncro has no issues with braking even if I was to re power it.... maybe better Pads (and these alone can make a huge difference) on my 80 just changing brands would give you very average to awesome braking... I use to refer to my 80 as having manual ABS as it would struggle to lock wheels. Sometimes on a vehicle that does not have ABS average brakes can work well...

8. peter915

peter915 Guest

So the question remains:
    Has anyone who has installed modified brakes gone down the path of having the modification certified by an engineer.
    A T3 owner in NSW who is on Samba is trying to go down the engineer path with bigger brakes and having issues with said engineer.
    Comments
    Peter

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What are the problems?

10. peter915

peter915 Guest

Engineer wants proof that these vehicles came with a bigger brake option - which is why this chap (Sam) looked to South Africa - as the later T3's there came with an option for a bigger brake kit.
    I found the parts used in SA - the rotor is definitely a bigger rotor than the standard rotor.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

In that case there should be a Vw part number and application in listing .
    Problem being ,how far back do such records go.?

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that he needs an engineer that knows what he is doing. He is talking bs.

13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I fitted the disc's and calipers that came with the Subaru front cut, the inspecting engineer looked carefully at the materials used ie 12mm laser plate adaptor and that the fasteners were stamped with the tensile rating (12.9) also the vehicle was required to undergo a documented brake test = 10 consecutive hard stops taking readings from a G meter and brake pressure gauge x time, I was a bit concerned as the discs where freshly machined and the pads where new and not bedded in, thankfully it all passed including the engine install
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  14. peter915

peter915 Guest

Goeff
    Looks impressive - nice one !
    I've been reading the National Code of Practice for light vehicle- section LG - Brakes
    I don't see an issue - it list's the tests required - but not un-reasonable
    P

15. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Always love your lock wiring Wattie :)

16. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

As a ex fuel injection and turbo engineer on ships mains and primary power plant the wire locking had to be perfect using s/s wire, correct turns per inch and of course resist loosening in RH & LH fasteners
    the Lloyds inspector always had a pair of side cutters in his pocket and if not happy..........snip,............... having to rework and rebook the inspector is bad enough, the real penalty is the delay and BIG penalties in releasing the ship or returning the power unit to standby or on line.

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I love it too.

Would have saved my rear brake calipers from coming loose on my Adelaide trip.

18. peter915

peter915 Guest

The parts used in SA are as follows (so I am told by a chap in SA)
    Caliper right, vw parts no 996 615 124
    Caliper left, 996 615 123
    Carrier, 2x needed, 996 615 125
    Discs, 2x needed, 22s 615 301

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

https://au.vwheritage.com/classic/?DisplayPage=1

Comes up.
    Haven't checked all.
    Should be a simple pass being same platform and based on same model imported to Au.
    Obviously details will need checking such as all parts of the upgraded system being fitted/balanced performance
    It was continued till late 90's in an updated form in SA.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you used VW parts for that model you wouldn't need an engineer.