1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigger CV studs

Discussion in 'Performance' started by tillis, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tillis

tillis Active Member

I'm running an ecotec commodore engine in my 74Bay and it is sweet as but have trouble keeping the CV joint in place...the problem is the studs or bolts...they keep working loose and snapping..I guess 200hp is overworking them. I am considering porsche 930 CVs but with flanges CVs drive axles and axle flanges looking at $1000 min. But..opinions here...what if i just fit the 10mm porsche 10mm studs? drill the Cvs drill and tap the box and axle flanges...too easy am i missing something? any advice appreciated......Rob (tillis)

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I assume they are only snapping after they are loosening... are you torquing to 25 ft/lb? how about using loctite?

cbus likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Musings...

Following the importance of clean surfaces for grip....maybe locktite the faces , cv/ flange ??

Can't see a problem with changing to 10 mm.
    Would allow a higher torque.?
    What is the usual torque for the 10mm?

Dowel's ?

130 cv allows for greater articulation.
    Follow up with some suspension limit increases :cool:

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

You could contact Indian Automotive in Penrith NSW - previous owner Kimm Garland had a V6 Supercharged in his twin cab ute - current owner Mikki worked for him and may be able to let you know what Kimm used :rolleyes:;)

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

are you going to be able to drill the cv's, they're pretty hard for a drill

cbus likes this.
  7. tillis

tillis Active Member

who knows have plenty of old ones to practice on or take to a machine shop...way cheaper than the whole porsche conversion... doing a long trip this weekend so taking spares

8. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Hi Rob I had a 4.4L V8 in my van with standard CV joints and it travelled non stop towing a well loaded trailer for over 15 years and I never had a single issue so I suspect that there is more to this, however I also had a Porsche G50 5speed box and the axles were almost horizontal but I can't see the angle being an issue on your van unless it has been raised too much, perhaps the axle threads are now flogged out and the bolts are not getting a decent bite, you could also try drilling the heads of the cap bolts and lock wiring them along with some locktite, are you also using the serrated washers under the bolts, cheers Greg

bern likes this.
  9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I have a EG33 Subi with a auto, the T3 is also raised, I used new 12 point bolts with shakeproof washers, never had a problem although I did spin the pinion off the the pinion shaft once. :eek:

10. tillis

tillis Active Member

Hey guys thanks for the input. I'm not a racer and think the standard CVs are fine but need to keep bolts falling out...perhaps i'll just start with a new set of bolts

11. tillis

tillis Active Member

and yes the lockwiring might be the best bet!

bern likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Sure the thread in the gearbox or stub axle not stripped at all.:rolleyes: It might seem to screw in but is easily pulled out under load.

oldman likes this.
  13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

The right washers do the best job with the right torque!;)
    Cheers