1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike racks - Kombi friendly?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Dingostrategy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Dear all,

Still working on my 'resto for the rest of us' project. Just a tidy-up, here and there. Mod cons, rustwork, fix smelly leaky engine, etc.

Thankyou to the kombiclub for so much archived advice. Thankyou also to people who have offered specific advice for my enquiries.

In the process, my EMPI twin muffler has meant I can no longer use the towbar I had - at least not without cutting and rewelding the towbar. That's fine, but the only reason I want a towball is...

TO FIT A BIKERACK.

So here's my question. What experience do people have with kombi friendly bike racks? I do like to open my engine hatch quite regularly to smell and feel and just, well, perve. So a towball option has limited merit anyway. The loss of my towball gives me an opportunity to consider other ideas. I have looked, with no success, for a fold-down version, meaning I could use the towball but just fold the rack and bikes down to check the donk.

I have also tried to figure out if I could get one that is meant for hatches/station wagons, but I don't think it'll fit without mods (and it'd be nice to still use the back door anyway)

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Thule-FreeWay-Bike-Carrier-BA968-pr-20601.html

Then there's the spare tyre option - handy for kombi drives, but I wanted to avoid bikes in front out of respect for pedestrians, kangaroos and because bugs on my bike would be a drag. But this is what I might end up doing unless y'all have great ideas.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Allens-Deluxe-3-Bike-Carrier-Spare-Tyre-pr-21067.html

Finally, the up-top option doesnt work for me at all. Who could be arsed climbing up there to get bikes down all the time?

Has anyone had any luck with this, or are Kombi's and bikes incompatible?

Thanks in advance,

Dingo.

2. Barney

Barney New Member

Dingo

We are in exactly the same position and would love to know options, other than the spare wheel hanger on the front....a little distracting and guaranteed to attract a "Roo Impact" on the first outing !!

3. Dingostrategy

Hi Barney - an edit. I have found a fold-down version but it only fits the new fangled 'boxtype' towbar contraptions. It's also 400 clams.

Let's see what our kombi oracles offer in the way of advice!

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

5. Dingostrategy

Cheers, melissa. But I don't see how those work, because there is no lateral seam or bead for the lower straps. In any case, still doesnt solve the opening of hatches issue. At this stage I am starting favour the fold-down towball option, even at the great expense. The requirement to rig lights and number plates worries me less than not being able to open the engine hatch.

The hunt continues!

Dingo

6. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Dingo,

I'm pretty sure that Jane and Tony (heartland and loco on here) had one on the back of their camper when they did their trip up the East Coast in the last couple of months. Might be worth getting in touch with Jane via PM to see what their set up is.

I also know that Jules (kombigal) has a scooter on the back of hers, so things can definitely be put onto the back of Campers.

Best of luck.

7. Aazz

Aazz New Member

Option 2: I believe the hatchback style rack will put to much strain on the humble rear door of a Kombi when fully laden.
    Option 3: The spare tyre rack would be illegal in most states when used on the front of a vehicle.
    Option 4: Doesn't work for you.

Solution... Option 1: Modify tow-bar to allow for the simplest and easiest way to carry bikes. My 2ยข.

8. Dingostrategy

Yep, this is definitely where I'm heading. But in option 1, the modification of the tow bar is not the issue, it's locating a rack that actually folds down. I'm also quite sure that the mod of the towbar would render it unsafe or illegal for actual towing, which is not the end of the world but a drag.

Will post my final solution when it happens.

With thanks to all.

Dingo.

9. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

We use the mac rac style of fold down bike rack, not really fold down with the bikes on, as where are you going to stand/ crouch when the rack is down? it also provides a step for access to a roof rack etc

10. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

11. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

Dingostrategy, i'm a mad keen rider and love searching around for goodies that are bike related, haha, here is a fold down bike rack from Chain Reaction, a UK distributor, and usually cheaper than buying off the shelf, also another one on Pedalbite, a local Tasmanian Mt Bike site, both fold and are great quality, hope these help you.
    Also check out other Aussie Mt Bike sites, a list below to help.

Leigh

http://pedalbite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11765
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=166

www.farkin.net
    www.torpedo7.com

Use google to find more listed, use "Australian Mountain Bike Sites" in the search bar, this will give you some more sites that may have more racks for sale.

12. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I used a bike rack on the back of my camper on one trip. It was similar to the one in Mel's response in the second link. It simply fitted under the tow ball and could fold down very easily to allow access. I did come to grief though as where I traveled was fine bulldust which got in to every thing on the bike. After the trip I bought a new bike as the bits to repair it cost more. Moral is - if you intend to travel in dusty conditions with a bike on the back make sure all bearings etc are well and truly covered or sealed. The bike I had on the back was a Giant mountain bike which was supposed to have sealed bearings. It's amazing where bulldust can get into.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  13. Dingostrategy

Definitely some interest here!

Hi folks,

Lots of good suggestions. I love the kombi specific one, but still can't open the hatch. My decision is made. Like usual, I choose the most expensive option with the largest hassle ratio.

I'm going to have my towbar re-engineered and get a ball-style fold-down version.

Then I'm avoiding the bulldust - good advice!

Great tips and great times ahead. Thanks everyone

14. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

Lots of great help there for ya Dingostrategy, hope the re-engineered towbar works out well for ya.

Oh and Kombi Dad, with all the bike bits i've used and destroyed, cheap or expensive, they always break down easy, especially with bull dust, unfortunatly, bike parts are never a cheap thing to replace, weather its on a $500 family bike, or serious $5000+ race bike designed to take the most serious punishment.

"When your not driving, try riding." :)

15. petenkaz

petenkaz Member

Hatchback carrier

Hi
    I travelled recently with a very dodgy setup with one of the hatchback type carriers and would not recommend. The first problem is that the hooks don't sit properly over / under the back door at any angle. I stupidly put the hooks through inside the car and adjusted the straps that way. Ended up with worse rubbers than I started with and scratched paint from my handlebars.
    I would recommend a quick release one on a towbar. It may add a few minutes to your day to check oil etc, but you will ot be worrying about leaving your bikes behind on the pacific highway.

16. Dingostrategy

If im lucky enough to travel on the pac. highway, I'd be stoked.

But in all seriousness, I've had some further time to work on this bit.

What i'm going to do is:

Sort out all the other stuff before chucking my new $340 empi muffler for something that the old towbar fits on. It sounds a lot, but cheaper than a new towbar. So either way I'm a dumbass, but you live and learn.

But until then, the focus is on rust, engine and trim. Just a few small jobs!

Dingo

17. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Why have treddlies when you can drive a Kombi?

18. Dingostrategy

Good point alpal. Guilt? Gluteal definition? Those are the only ideas I have.

19. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

the traddlies are great to commut to the shopping centre so you dont have to park your loved kombi in the parkin lot and have some nit wit do damage, as what happened to another KC member. :)

Leigh

20. kerrikom

kerrikom New Member

We just spent a year travelling the western half of Aus, with two bikes on the back. We lucked out actually and bought a rack from a market for $40. put it on the kombi and found out it was a fold down rack, so we could check up on the engine. turned out to be very useful as the bikes were on there the whole year. Only problem was that with the bikes on the back you couldn't fold it all the way to the ground. but far enough to check engine.

Bikes definitely came in h andy.. we spent two months working in broome and didin't start Kerri once! rode our bikes everywhere and set her up as home. Ah the memories. who would have thought you'd miss lwaking up and knocking your head on the roof!!