1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bilstein shocks - still available for T2

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by steve_4802, Dec 18, 2016.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

This may or may not be of interest to some;

I was having a lot of trouble finding information to confirm a suitable set of bilsteins that fitted the T2 and many forums around hinted they weren't available to fit anymore. I even tried the bilstein Aussie distributor and they regretfully informed my the didn't have anything to suit.

However, bilstein in Europe confirmed a suitable pair of part numbers and, now armed with this information, the Aussie distributors for bilstein (Sydney Shock Absorbers) were much more helpful and confirmed they can get them in.

I've just placed an order for a new set of Bilstein B6's. They have to be shipped in from Europe so will be a few months before delivery. I've attached a pic of the shocks for info. They can air freight them quicker at a cost but I'm not in a hurry.

I don't want to get in a discussion about if the bilsteins are worth it and there are lots of great other options out there, such as Koni's. But if for whatever reason you have a want for bilstein b6's then I hope this is helpful.

FYI cost shipped to Aus for all four from Sydney Shock Absorbers was $1160.

Attached Files:

Poptop likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

steve_4802 and KahunaKombi like this.
  3. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Finally fitted them today and went on a treat, all fitted as it should. Didn't get out for a test drive but looking forward to seeing how they go.

On the topic of availability, if anyone wants them snap them up while you can. Sydney Shock Absorbers (aussie distributor) explained that Bilstein don't have anymore in stock and will not be doing another run for the foreseeable future. What shops have in stock is all that is available. Eventually as demand builds enough for another run it's likely they'll make some more but this could be years.

Poptop likes this.
  4. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Great shock. You will not be disappointed

5. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I found a couple sets of the original B46 old stock shocks...fantastic...

Have also grabbed a few sets of Koni adjustables when the last run was done for Bay window vans, again fantastic.

6. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Any update yet Steve?

7. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Yep have been for a good few runs. Nothin I don't like about them yet, but honestly that's cause it feels, on good roads at least, similar to older (boge perhaps?) shocks without being noticeably stiffer. I expected more of a noticeable change but thinking on it more I'm glad it's not a firmer ride as I want comfort and safety as focus. Perhaps rolls a little less in tighter and more abrupt turns?..
    I've only hit city streets and motorway with it so far which isn't much of a test. I will have it out west on country roads for a few months come end of July so that will be the real test. It's these country roads that made me realise how cbad my older shocks were getting. I've now got new springs, new bilsteins and have raised so it's only 1.5 inch lowered now (about 1-2 inch higher than before) so hopefully it's a much better handling package on rougher roads now.

I'll let you know how it goes come October when I'm back from travelling.

Gordon D likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

where i really noticed it was driving over those country bridges

there is usually a step in the road on either side of the bridge

on the road north of Lithgow heading to Safala / Coonabarraban way they are everywhere

With the old shocks you hit them and you knew it

felt like the front wheel assemble was going to go right up you!