1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit more done to glomo

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by glow-monkey, Oct 31, 2008.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Ok so Ive been absent from the KC for a while now, busy with too many things, but still have managed to get a bit of work done on the van.

Ive swapped from the white five spoke 14inch mags to a set of 16inch mercedes rims with some nice 225 rubber on them, unfortunately I dont have a pic of them yet so you will have to wait or spy them on some pics of the meet at redcliffe.

I also decided to wire in some new driving lights, I fitted Matrix angel eyes, they have a selectable seven colour led halo rim that can also be set to flash throught the seven colours. I had to drop the bull bar and take the front bumper off to run the wiring so did a few little repairs to the bumper while i had it off.

How it looked before hand notice the nice brown surface rust on the drivers side.
    [​IMG]

The bumper sanded back primed and repainted antartic white.
    [​IMG]

While i had the bullbar dropped and the bumper off I decided to paint the bulkhead in the colour i will be doing the lower half of the van, its desert rose and is a metallic dark grey. This means I can simply remove the bullbar from its posts, and tape and cover the bumper rather than pull it all off when i paint the van and it gave me a bit of practice at painting on a slightly inconspicuos part of the van. It came up pretty damn nice and i cant wait to get into the rest of the job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. glow-monkey

Wiring the new lights in.
    [​IMG]

All wired up bumper rubber cleaned refitted and all put back together.
    [​IMG]

I like the pretty lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. glow-monkey

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Do a pic of your oversiz:lol:ed air pods.
    col

5. glow-monkey

I also finally decided on the setup for the new air intake and ripped the black box of doom out, I ended up knocking up my own design, as I also want to try and get some spinners similar to a hiclone into the intake and still have to fit the heat shields over the pods. I have noticed a definite mid range increase in power and a noticeable fuel economy change. I will post in the tech section with more details as to what i have done with this setup.

The old engine bay.
    [​IMG]

Now with the old airbox removed and the pods fitted. and yes i have been anal enough to rotate the left hand pod so the saas label is now level
    [​IMG]

The pods with plumbing and fittings atached.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  6. glow-monkey

There is still a bit more to go to tidy the engine bay up a little and i will get some pics up of the rims later in the week. For now that is it as Im off to the local for a game of pool and a hard earned beer.

7. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

I was going to say "What No Purple!!!"...
    Then I kept scrolling down & it was there.... [​IMG]
    Your a good man....
    Judy

8. glow-monkey

There is also red but i dont have a pic of it. But the purple gets the most use.

9. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Technical question;
    What do you do with the two vacuum hoses of the bottom of the right hand side stock air intake?
    Oh by the way.....
    Iam very green with envy now!
    I wanna get rid of the standard air box but still cant nut out the vacuum issues.

10. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

But wait. He "glows" in the dark. :lol:

I like your Desert Rose Glen - very noice.

11. glow-monkey

Ok one of the hoses ran down to the hot air intake, the little black box with the dome top against the fire wall, it seemed to do nothing more than open a flap that directed air into the filter intake from a channel on the other side of the fire wall that ran down to the heater box thus allowing hot air to channel up into the intake i assumed when the engine was cold and the choke butterflys caused more vacuum through that fitting, the other one ran down to the metal piping underneath the black box, it had come off once before and the van ran rough so i decided to keep it connected and was going to just tap a brass pipe into my 50mm pipe to fit the hose onto. in the picture of the right hand pod intake assembly you will see a small black fitting with two connecting points, this I removed from the original right hand intake and is the fitting for the hoses you mentioned, it is held in by a clip and comes out pretty easy, I tapped it into the 50mm alloy pipe and connected it to the pipework below with some silicon tubing, you could use the original piping if it reaches, mine was tatty though so i replaced it. the one that went to the hot airintake i simply left unconnected, you can see the blue silicon pipe coming up to it in the pic of the fitted pods. I will be posting more details on the setup and some more technical explainations in the tech section tonight. once i have referenced a few more things in the manual so it sounds better than i connected it to the pipe thingy. LOL

Most of the ones i have seen on the kadrons and other carbs have the fittings under the dome or circular filter that sits on the carb. Mountain Goat and Brewmaster (weber setups i think) had there's fitted by a mechanic and may be able to show pics and give details of that.

I was originally going to set it up like Toms (ttmck) which is a sinlgle pipe between the two carbs with a central pod, contact him for more details on that setup.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  12. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Lookin good Glen...im lovin the purple driving lights of course.
    Steve

13. heartland

heartland New Member

Pretty like a mobile disco ! Glomo is really glowing now.

14. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

can you post a vid of the lights doing their thing glen?
    you have been busy lately haven't you!
    did you make up the pod adaptors or did you buy them somewhere?

Jono

15. glow-monkey

Considering I still havent got around to posting my vids from Mardi Grass you may have a bit of a wait. will see what i can do though.

The setup for the pods is my own creation, using some of the fittings taken from the original black box (for the vacuum etc) some 50mm alloy pipe and silicon adapters, the brackets are 20x5mm alloy flat rod hand shaped to suit.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  16. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

mods

What have you done with the heater fan and hoses ? if you want to get rid of them I would be intressed . Your work looks good

17. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Lovely work mate, having always been a 1600 man and buying my first 2 litre a couple of months ago I am keen to do this same job and eliminate some "clutter", compared with the old single carb the newer engine bay seems to contain a lot of "stuff". Also improving mileage has to be a big plus.

Those older mags look pretty good IMO, I'm not normally a mags kind of guy.

18. glow-monkey

Heater fan and hoses are yours, I will bring them to the christmas shindig.

19. glow-monkey

new seats

Got the new seats in today. They came out of a 1986 Honda Integra, had to do a little modifying to the brackets to get them in, just went for a drive and they feel fantastic, got them for $100 for the pair and then $40 for the seat covers which i sewed up a little just to get them to fit a bit better, the seats themselves were in great condition but were blue and just didnt fit with the colour scheme. Still need to colour the lever spring covers, and take them out again in a couple of weeks to lay carpet under them and paint the back dividers desert rose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008