1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown Valve?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by GypsyWannabe, Sep 20, 2010.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I suspect I blew a valve yesterday... :cry:

Janie has been running so well, ever since the Pertonix ignition was fitted. I was towing my boat back from Wisemans Ferry last night and was really impressed with how Janie was pulling it up the hills and around the bends. On the straight flatter sections, she was rocketing along! After crossing the Cattai Creek bridge, I shifted to third for the climb up the hill, then to second for the left turn at the school. When I applied the brakes, she seemed to be a little harder to stop than normal. Then, coming home along the back roads towards Box Hill, there seemed to be less power. Also, reduced braking power with the pedal - is that even related??? I pulled over to have a look but all seemed good in the engine bay and the engine was not hot one bit.

Anyway, I got home to Quakers Hill safely, with reduced power and stalling a few times at sets of lights along the way.

I heard no banging noise or anything to alert me to something going wrong with engine, although I do get used to all the rattles with the sliding door, my fishing gear in the bus and the rattles of the boat trailer.

Does this sound like a cylinder? Because if it is, I guess that's an engine rebuild, right? I think that will about break me and I may not be able to persist with Kombis, regretfully. :cry:

I'll be ringing Kombi Rescue shortly but I am "not happy, Janie". :(

Baz

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Baz - I am about as mechanical as McDonalds is gourmet - but seeing as you are mentioning the reduced braking power, do you think it could be one of your vacuum hoses or something similar? I am sure Steve will let you know.

3. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Like Melissa said. Sounds more likely your brake booster hose has either come off between the firewall and the booster or it simply has a hole in it. A failed or fallen brake booster hose will cause the engine to run terribly.

4. GypsyWannabe

Fingers crossed because I am having a terrible day and that possible scenario has just allowed me to breathe a sigh of cautious anticipated relief!

If it's only a vacuum/brake booster hose and not going to cost me $4k to fix, I will run naked at the place of the Kombi Club's choosing! However, I'm warning you, there would be people who would chip in for me NOT to run naked ANYWHERE, EVER! :lol:

I'll get Janie to Steve tomorrow afternoon.

Kombi Gods - please be good to me! :umm:

Baz

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

just have a quick check baz, you can see its at the front on the engine (front of car) right at the bottom, the hose goes through the firewall in front of the left hand carb (pax side) and the hose on the booster thingo easy to spot.

6. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Kai,

Will do tonight, when I have better lighting.

Second sigh of relief...

Baz

7. GypsyWannabe

Dear Kombi Gods in Heaven... thank you for watching over Janie and keeping her safe from an expensive engine rebuild...

Amen.

Thanks for the helpful tips, fellow KCers... the brake booster hose was off: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I popped it back on and Janie definitely sounded happier. :D I didn't take her for a test drive but will drive her to Kombi Rescue tomorrow for a health check. The rubber elbow piece is a bit perished so will need replacement at least. There were a couple of loose screws there too (you can see them in the pic)... I'll ask Steve what they might be tomorrow.

While I'm at it, does anybody know what this pipe is coming off near the coil? It looks like it should have something coming off it, too...?...

Sorry, can't seem to rotate it...
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Baz

PS. Excuse the pics, they were taken with my phone.

8. GypsyWannabe

I just thought I'd give a bit of an update on this...

So, I popped the elbow hose back on the brake booster (?) system and Janie was running fine.

I sent a SMS to Steve Muller the other day to tell him the brake booster hose was off but took Janie into Kombi Rescue the next day anyway for a quick check-up. Steve was listening to her as I drove up the driveway. "Sounds like you've got it sorted, Baz", he said. "I'll order you a couple of elbow hoses".

I was quite pleased that its was something so simple but made a mental note to get a full tune-up soon anyway, when the hoses come in. :)

Then, on Saturday I was doing some running around, Janie purring along nicely,when all of a sudden she lost power again. "What could it be?" I thought. No 3 plug lead looks a bit loose, so I pulled it off and noticed that the bakelite was cracked and had a piece missing (it might have happened when I pulled the lead off). I thought that might have made her run rough. I rang Steve, wishfully hoping he might still be in his workshop and have some leads on hand but as it was about 2pm, no luck. "Ring me on Monday, Baz, and I'll see if I can squeeze you in for a tune-up next week before I go to Old Bar", he said. I limped home and told my wife I will not be able to lug the BBQ and firewood down to our van at Wisemans today but, hopefully, Janie will be ready for the long weekend away.

So, I thought I'd have a bit of a tinker this morning. The rubber insert to my spark plug socket was missing and I thought I better not take the risk of dropping a plug under the tinware (I've done it twice before on my old van!). In the end, I pulled the elbow hoses off again and noticed that, as they were perished, there were some bad cracks in the left one at least.

I wrapped them both up with gaffer tape, popped them back on and Janie purred along fine again. I took a quick to Kombi Rescue at Annangrove and she motored along nicely, thank you very much, pulling strongly up the hills! :) I will still get a full tune-up this week hopefully and the elbows replaced.

I just thought I'd let you know about the gaffer tape solution for the hoses in case any other members need a roadside fix.

Cheers,

Baz

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Goodonya Baz :p It's always nice when you fear the worst about an engine issue, (like the booster hose) & it turns out to be something simple ! Well done on rolling your sleeves up & fixing out what was wrong. Ah...... gaffer tape, such wonderful stuff:) A roll of that & some cable ties is a mechanic in your pocket :p
    Cheers, Mark

10. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Hi,

This elbow is on the balance line between the two carbies - the brake booster hose is attached to this via a tee through the fire wall on the left hand side (and if you have an automatic the hose to the gearbox on via a tee through the fire wall on the right hand side).

Roy sells these elbows and if you change them it is worth checking the vacuum hoses to the brake booster and auto gearbox are on ok - the elbows take a bit of pulling and pushing on the balance line and this can cause the vacuum hoses to fall off (I had this problem).

11. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Mark,

At least the gaffer tape gave me a bit of time until I get get her fixed properly. To tell you the truth, I was starting to seriously sway towards giving up on Janie, selling her and buying a Hodlen ute! :wtf: We will see.

Baz

12. GypsyWannabe

Thanks for the info. My mechanic will replace the elbows and check everything out when she has her service and tuneup soon.

Cheers,

Baz

13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Baz! I can't believe you are actually putting that out there - you know our Kombis talk amongst themselves and Janie will find out! ;) You better have some treat in mind for her....

14. GypsyWannabe

:lol: Some new kick panels maybe... finances are a tad stretched at the moment! :rolleyes:

My wife keeps trying to convince me to sell Janie and buy a '"more reliable" car. Sometimes I lean in that direction but hit myself on the head and regroup!

I don't want to sell her - as I learn more about her, I realise that the little issues are fairly simple to fix if you have the time. Time is the issue at the moment. Janie is my daily drive and I don't have another vehicle - if I had another vehicle to run around in, get to/from work, tow my boat etc., I would love to take her off the road for as long as it takes to really treat her nice and spruce her up. She is a good solid bus that just needs a bit of a pamper. :)

Baz

15. GypsyWannabe

Update:

Just picked Janie up from Kombi Rescue yesterday afternoon. New brake booster elbows fitted, new plug leads, full lube, tune-up and service etc.

Janie is purring like an oversexed tigress - she is very happy.

And Steve even has a replacement engine bay door for her, in white. :)

I only looked twice at a T4 there... ;)

But... Janie is due for a pamper soon. :rolleyes:

Baz

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Only just got to the read this Baz and am glad it was sorted.

Bakelite has a lot to answer for - if you can get rubber ended spark plug leads then go that way.

17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Baz, pm sent. Cheers, Mark

18. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Good one Baz. You are now a VW fix-up man!