Blue Mountains Syncro Adventure

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Syncro27, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hey Punters,

We organised a Sydney based All Syncro Off-Road weekend getaway this Long Weekend.

Anyway, Paul Nevin and I managed to find Newnes Ruins Camping area late on Friday night when I say late it was between 7:00pm and 7:30pm but very dark.

Both of us decided to head towards the glow worm tunnel first (Paul actually got there and had a brief view before helping a bloke get his horse out of a creek near the tunnel entry), mine was because my GPS had a melt down.

Anyway we both ended up doing the "Blackfellows Hand Trail" in complete darkness with Paul only having low-beam headlights and my high beam working but my spotties not.

Anyway, it was fairly rough in the last third with a few wrong turns and back tracking yet we both managed to find Newnes and get ready for camping with a small pathetic fire.

Next day we took the walking trail through the amazing ruins of the shale oil project and on our return we met up with Michael and Tina who took as to some Aboriginal hand paintings on this amazing overhanging rock face (our version of the wave rock).

We then parted ways and Paul and I did the Blackfellows Hand trail in daylight before a side track down to the "lost City" which is a natural rock formation. To get to the Lost City we had to drive down probably the worst track I have ever driven on with loads of deep water filled holes and other deep rutted holes.

Loads of fun but scary in places.

We decided to camp half way back along the trail as the nearby camp sites were full of nutty dirt bike riders or other campers.

Today we went back to the glow worm tunnel early, drove through a rock tunnel, parked in the car-park with only 1 other car, then walked out to the glow worm tunnel and then along the old railway line through a rainforest lined creek to a lookout. By the time we returned, the car park was full of about 50 vehicles with at least 2 people per car.

A bit of a careful drive out before we parted ways - Paul heading up the Putty Road for another bush camp before heading home and I went to Lithgow for some much needed fuel.

Overall a great weekend.

Here are a couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. Syncro27

Here are some more photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  3. Syncro27

Some more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Syncro27

More:

[​IMG]

Lost City:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Syncro27

Camping near Lost City:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Syncro27

Lost City Track:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  7. Syncro27

[​IMG]

Heading to the Glow Worm Tunnel:
    [​IMG]

Drive Through Tunnel:
    [​IMG]

Glow Worm Tunnel:
    [​IMG]

8. Syncro27

Rainforest after the glow worm tunnel:
    [​IMG]

Railway sleepers still evident in the creek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Great to see a vehicle being used for what it was designed for , and still be able to win prizes on show day !
    Well done Scott !

10. Syncro27

Thanks Mark.

I didnt use the pop-top once - just too cold at night to bother.

Lots of fun on the nasty tracks.

The worst of it was not shown in the photos - it was a real white knuckle ride!

Cheers,

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Looks great. Can't wait to get my syncro with a bed though we did go camping over the long weekend. The syncro ran great.

Ian

12. Syncro27

I see you have updated your Avatar photo with the new syncro Ian.

They are loads of fun when set up just right.

I had my 110L Weaco fridge on all day and night and it didnt even bother the deep cycle Varta Leisure battery. Although a portable solar panel would be a good investment.

Look forward to some photos of you adventures.

13. bay window bandit

bay window bandit Active Member

I used to go down there all the time when I had my 4WD's, great place to be, apart from the dirt bike riders ;)
    Looks like you guys had a great time.

14. Bladesy

Bladesy Member

Hey mate just at wondering how u store your waeco in your synchro. I was thinking of installing one in ours for camping was thinking of options

15. Syncro27

My Weaco fridge is a monster 110L and it is a built in upright model compressor fridge which works perfectly in all weather - low current draw (especially for its size) and works on any angle - they are just the best. German compressor co very quiet too.

Anyway I had to build mine into a cupboard just behind the drivers seat.

I made the cupboard around the fridge and a small side cupboard for storage. I have vents to the top of the cupboard to let heat out and air gets in from around the seat belt opening. Works very well...

16. Bladesy

Bladesy Member

Yeah nice. Wasn't aware they had upright models. Great with the balance thing too. Been reading about dramas of 3-way fridges being out of balance. Any chance u have a pic of your interior of fridge and bench?
    u reckon the chest style would take up too much room behind the passenger seat if it was also on a slide mount?

17. Syncro27

I will have to take a piccy tomorrow.

The chest models are great for off-roading as the stuff doesn't fall out.

I had to think up and rig up a special catch hold system to ensure the fridge doesn't open when off-roading. Chest style should fit in fine in a T3 - they are huge!

18. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I used to strap my Waeco just behind the passengers seat. It was a 25 litre model. The fridge is still with the '82 camper which now belongs to my son.

Since then and as I tow a trailer for camping, I decided to move the fridge and battery to the trailer. In so doing I also changed to a 40 litre Everkool fridge. This set up has worked very well. My thoughts on the trailer is that it keeps the floor of the van clutter free and gives us a lot more space when camping. When I put the bed in the back of the Syncro I left the centre seat in. We also now travel with a Maltese dog. This means not having the fridge in the van gives space for the pooch. Oh what we do for our pets.

Ian

Bladesy likes this.
  19. Bladesy

Bladesy Member

How much food supply can u fit into the 40litre.

20. Bladesy

Bladesy Member

I was wondering how the t3 would go pulling a trailer. How much weight can u pull without worrying the engines. I would like to bring the boat on a few trips. Can store extra in that.