1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body work costs

Discussion in 'Body' started by Advan, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Advan

Advan Member

Just wanting some perspective on pannel and paint costs. I've had my Van taken back to bare metal and 3 reasonable areas of rust cut out. Then a full respray and a new set of window seals put in. I realize that a fair bit of work is needed for a full body resto but would 230 hours of labor be fair?? I've never had a serious resto done so I'm not sure if that stacks up!!

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow......that’s a very open ended scenario.
    So, has the work been done and you are now being presented with a bill ?
    Without pics or some idea of the extent of the repairs/work done, it’s really hard to put a realistic perspective on your situation.
    I sincerely hope you had an agreed quote signed before you started.....or at the very least , a budget estimate ?
    Was the panel shop recommended to you ? ...or was this a walk in situation?
    A reputable shop should advise you with regular updates on time / costs etc. to enable you to control your budget.
    230 hours at $90 p/h is over $20,000.00 worth of labour !.......plus paint, seals etc.
    .....could be the correct price........could be expensive.......could be cheap dependent on variables.
    Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but there’s just not enough info. .......yet.

We have a few experienced paint n panel members here.....hopefully they will contribute to this.
    Good luck !
    Cheers,
    Mark

prone likes this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It's like how long is a piece of string,it depends on who cuts ito_O. It also depends on how much work are you planning or can do .If you are getting the panel shop to also do the assembling process that price that set out in previous post:rolleyes: can easily blow out a lot further. What extent are you going with the full respray of the outside only,engine bay, inside ,under carriage . I have to X 2 above comments not enough information.

4. Advan

Advan Member

Sorry I was deffinantly to vague on details. Pictures attached show the pannel repairs completed prior to paint which has just been finished. The invoice is due prior to collection and I had a "verbal" estimate before starting and then a update to finish midway through that was 40% more than the first. Now it's finished up being twice the price as the original estimate.

Attached Files:

5. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Also depends on what quality of finish you are after or expecting. Patching metal work is time consuming. Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with the floor repairs in the pic. Bodywork is a very time consuming process and will eat into the labour bill. Paint and consumables all add up. The question that springs to my mind is why did the final bill end up being twice the initial estimate? If it's a result of more rust than initially identified or correcting previous sub standard repairs then it's reasonable to expect a budget blow out. How much was your final bill? Providing this information will allow others who have gone through a similar process to provide informed feedback.

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Rust repairs smaller than yours on Old Boy ($2K). Did need some panel work like squaring up rear guards & odd dent etc. I paid for seals etc but they fitted seals & glass. Rolling chassis & engine did not come off. Doors off etc with full strip...eg locks off, window winders out etc etc. All done by P/B but small bits by me as it went back together. Got dash painted, fibreglass poptop roof painted & some other small bits (back inside quarter, floor vent stuff up front, tunnel in between seats etc). 2 pack paint. I stayed updated thru process & stayed ahead of progress payments & when he tallied it up was $22k & he gave me the bargain of $17k:D:cool:.
    https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/76-sopru-resto.54261/page-9 post 169
    Went there every week or 2 to stay in touch & weekly after 8 months as I could start to put bits back on & P/B was almost as excited as I was to our vision being the same & me NEVER hassling him about time (I think that's why I got the discount;)) & using some humour always. Told him new door seals closed "as good as a Golf"!
    I'm with Ted2...not a fan of the front floor repair:(.
    It ALWAYS comes down to communication, documentation & expectation!
    Hope this helps:)
    Cheers

micklyan likes this.
  7. Advan

Advan Member

Hi Ted2 thanks for the feedback. Extra work was needed on the front passenger grill area to replace a lot of bog that was not picked up on their first inspection. The only internal spray work was for the floor pan at the front and rear underseat *the floor has since been tidied up. The pannel beater removed all pannels for re spraying and reassembled all parts with new seals. The wheels and the small internal patches are extra spray areas and new seals are added work after the first estimate. The final bill was for just over 22k so may be within reason from what people are saying.

Attached Files:

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I can't help with cost but I will mention to make sure you have yourself covered with your insurance - if you are with Shannons, make sure you have updated your level of cover. I would hate for anything to happen while it was being put back together and find you are not covered enough- they do have good cover while it is laid up.

9. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

All the costs are in the labour to do the work on your car. Rust didn't look too bad for a base from your photos.
    You may have issues with the front floor panel being tinny, e.g. has a flexing pop noise as they just welded in flat sheet metal without the pressings in it. Compare the passengers side floor and youll see what I mean.
    Lots of shops do it but they could of gotten a new floor panels with the pressings in it they could of fitted instead.
    So theres roughly $1500 in paint an materials, them supplying a complete rubber seals kit for it would cost you around $1000.
    As for the rest of the bill I always feel $15k is roughly industry standard charging fees with there hourly fee at $100 per hour.
    Just cant justify myself paying some one $15k cash for two weeks work, wish I got paid that for my time.
    In the end itll look nice and shiny just what you wanted an now onto the mechanicals an interior.
    cheers chuckster

David H, Wayne murray and micklyan like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it is 230 hrs is 30 days at 7.6 hrs (NES)

Break it down into job lots and I reckon you get to that figure fairly easily.

David H, Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Time and total cost is not excessive imo, but as stated above I would be disappointed with the floor repair. Old vw's have more readily available repair sections than any other car, not sure why they didn't just get a new floor panel...

micklyan likes this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Big challenge when quoting car resto is that you sometimes find that the repair is more than can be seen at the time. Nasty discoveries are often encountered.

Wayne murray and Mordred like this.
  13. Advan

Advan Member

Thanks for all the replies. It's been an expensive exercise but worth it in the end.

micklyan, TeeBee, Ted2 and 3 others like this.
  14. Bay75

Bay75 New Member

To be honest if that rusty wheel section is an indication of the kombis overall condition and they have cut all the rust and bog out (looks like they replaced the nose section) I think you got a good deal. It’s a lot of time, skill and hard work to do a half decent job and that looks good from the pics.
    Don’t worry about the cost, if you had spent $40k on a new car instead in 10 years time you would be hoping for $5k return if you sold it...in 10 years that Kombi will be worth every penny you put into it ☺️

Advan, TeeBee, Poptop and 1 other person like this.