1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booster fan wiring

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by deepburn13, Jun 16, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hey dudes,

Is this the only way heater booster fans are supposed to be wired? Mine has a couple extra wires coming from the relay, one of which looks like it was supposed to connect to the coil (currently disconnected). Just wondered if it varied from year to year at all?

Cheers,
    Scott

[​IMG]

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Have a look at the appropriate workshop manual schematic.

1600 engines do not have heater booster fans.

3. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Yeah I thought the title was a bit weird. My 76 wiring is close to above but has extra wires. Will have a look like ya said.
    Cheers

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

Generally speaking, your statement is correct!

However, I retro-fitted a 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 electric heater-booster fan (suspended beneath the engine-compartment ceiling), to my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, using home-made GRP Y-junctions for the the 50 mm, 55 mm & 60 mm air-hose connections. Hence the title of my electric-circuit wiring diagram.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Scott, as Nigel has pointed out, that wiring diagram is for a specific, retro-fitted, home designed, electric heater - booster fan set-up.

It's not for the stock booster-fan found on a stock engine.

6. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Ah ok. Cool though, as I could fit it to my 1600 in my 72. Anyone got a diagram for a type 4 set up for my 76??