Bosch 009 mechanical advance distributors.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Schmoburger, May 11, 2007.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jae - I'm also running a 009 with CompurFire and have had no problems with it and now I got the pinion drive replaced and a new flywheel with healthy teeth on the ring gear No problmes starting at all.
    While it's working for you keep it - when it goes replace with Vac advanced as ttmck has advised

2. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Leads were new. Probably didn't help that I grabbed them, though. Dizzy cap looks OK but possibly a worn rotor button? Will check on the weekend. Can you get a replacement rotor button?

Baz

3. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Rotor button

Sure can, right next to the dizzy caps at supercheap.

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

They were pretty pricey for the Bosch 005 dizzys last I looked... something ridiculous like 60 or 70 bucks! :eek:

This was at Autopro.

5. t2pickup

t2pickup New Member

Trust this guys, 009 in a bus, spells a shorter life for number three. That isnt an opinion, it is a fact. Temperature rise as a result of timing and all that.

6. jae

jae New Member

Does anyone know of a 005 diz can be reconditioned? And any ideas on costs or where would be a good place to take it?

7. Schmoburger

I think Tom (ttmk) can do it for you if the cams arent worn... send him a PM. :cool:

8. GypsyWannabe

More distributor questions

A few more questions on Bosch 005 distributors:

Does anybody happen to know the part number (i.e. on the card) for:

a) The dizzy cap?
    b) The rotor button?
    c) The condensor?

I'm still trying to get Janie running perfect, so I took the points out today to check and clean them (they are quite new) - dropped the damn screw and had to remove the whole dizzy to recover it!

I found a small cylindrical piece of metal loose in the distributor. Looking at the Bentley manual, it looks a little bit like the "carbon brush" minus the spring. Do you think I need a new dizzy cap or could this have been an old one? Perhaps this could be why Janie was backfiring on a cold start, even though I thought I got the points and timing right? Cap and rotor button seem OK otherwise.

After having another crack at it today, I'm sure I set the points gap to .016 but the dwell now appears way to low, about 37. I have to close the gap up, right?

Also, there seems to be a hole in the side of the distributor that seems to be covered with either tape or some clear gasket type material. Any idea what that is? Do I need to get a new dizzy altogether? :eek:

After all this, Schmo, I know you've told me timing should be at 7.5deg before TDC and that's where the mark seems to be. BUT, the Bentley manual clearly says that is for 1976 fuel injection models. It says the timing for 73 thru 75 dual-carb and fuel inejected autos should be 5deg after TDC and 73 & 74 dual-carb manuals should be 10deg after TDC.

I'm confused! Janie is a 1975 dual-carb 1800 manual - what timing do I use??? :confused:

Baz

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Check the centre pin on the inside of the cap. There should be a small piece of carbon that you can push in and it will sping back.

If you have a dual vacuum distributor the timing will be 5 ATDC with a strobe light. For single vacuum use 7.5 BTDC with a 12V test light.

10. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Phil,

I'll check it out in the morning (if I'm awake after the FA cup!).

I assume it's a single vacuum because there's only one hose (as in the Bentley manual)? So this means 7.5 BTDC is right then....

Cheers,

Baz

11. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

My 2 bobs worth

7.5 or 7.8 btdc is correct for your model. If you check the manual it should read 5 or 10 degrees atdc for U.S. models.

I use a magnetised screwdriver for the job seeing it is in such a bitch of a position. Don't loose the screw inside then.

If you set the points gap at 0.45mm the dwell angle should be correct.

If it is backfiring on a cold start try looking for a loose or disconnected electromagnetic cutoff valve.(Mine did this)

Hope this helps. Dean

12. GypsyWannabe

The dizzy cap had lost the centre pin, so I bought a new cap. Super Cheap Auto couldn't tell me which one to get, However, there was an old guy at Repco at Kellyville who knew a bit about v-dubs. There wasn't a reference in the Bosch catalogue but I took the old (Bremi) cap and rotor in and he gave me a Bosch GB739. This seemed to do the job.

Got the dwell and timing OK. She seems a bit sluggish in 2nd gear though. I'll keep plugging away,

Thanks all for your help.

Baz

13. Lez

Lez Member

Just to clear something up . Can a compufire Electronic ignition for a 009 Dizzygo into a 005 dizzy?

14. Schmoburger

not sure bout Compufire... I get the feeling Pertronix can.

I am pretty sure one of the 3 major electronic ignition systems needed a 009... cant remember if it was Compufire or Accufire.

Cheers!

15. jae

jae New Member

I know that my Compufire kit will only fit into a 009.

16. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

i can only say for pertronix guys , pertronix do 2 types one for and one for without .... sorry i cant help

17. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Looks like the Accufire will not fit a 005 dizzy tried to fit one today and the pin for the points wouldn't allow the module or the rotor to fit, back to the shop for me.

18. peterbro

peterbro New Member

19. francispj

francispj Member

are those svda dizzys availible in Aus?
    how much $a
    where is the vacuum take off point?

20. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

yes they are available bruck distributors you cant buy a bosch new
    bruck are made over seas they are approx $ 180.00 last time i bought one but they are very good copy of the bosch unit

vacc point can be on either carburettor a single point brass nipple but if its std configuration it should be on the rh carburettor