1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bosch Alternator removal on type 1 1600

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by MeMatt, Apr 28, 2021.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Isn't that the regulator just behind the B+ terminal? Most voltage regulators are just two screws. (I have no experience with a type 1 internal regulator)

2. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

Syncro, I believe what your talking about is the brushes, the regulator is behind the rear casing -where the fan sits...

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Most Bosch alternators with internal regulators ( I have no experience with these ones) have the brushes and regulator are one piece. [​IMG]

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  4. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

So.... local parts supplier says regulator is 2-3 weeks away, so I went to Rod Penrose and bought a new alternator. He suggested I get someone to do the job cause its a PITA. But that made me more determined....
    Friday arvo and today has seen me remove and instal the new one. Not as easy as I hoped but a great learning. During this, I removed carby, moved coil and dizzy cap aside. Finished it without much swearing (as well as the intake manifold boots).
    I did notice that there was a strong fuel smell when I started. The car had sat at the bottom of my driveway for 9 days at an angle of about 30degrees.
    Now... got it all finished and have started the bus. Took a lot of attempts, alot.
    And the battery was only at 11.5v as well. Once I did manage to get it started, it was running very rough and wont idle. Got it up the driveway and around my caldersac in first gear.... Feels like it needs 1500rpm to even stay running.. Checked all connections and everything seems ok. Double checked a few pics and nothing looks different. It takes a bit to get started and wont run...

Any thoughts.

...Bus always starts first time with a press of the pedal....

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

let it cool overnight on flat surface and check oil for fuel, potential for fuel to pass the needle when parked on incline with nose up.

6. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

Just walked outside and it started 2nd attempt. Ran rough but better. Took it around block, at first it feels to be running on 3 cylinders. Not the usual feel. Drove in 2nd gear only just 20kph, went to accelerate harder and it died... blackish plume outta exhaust. Nursed it back to home. Parked on nature strip. Found oil near battery side -i must have knocked oil cap loose. Tighted that and started wiping oil and the plug lead came out as i wiped it. Screwed it back onto plug cap.... checked others aswell. Seem ok.
    Wont start again but does smell of petrol again, so im leaving it for another day.

Its been over 20yrs since Ive had a carby car, remind me...What would fuel look like in the oil? Smelly or have a slight colour....

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Take note of what Kai has posted.
    You may smell the fuel on dipstick, notice oil is thinner than usual when cold, level high.?
    If in doubt it's eorth changing as high rankcase pressure can blow oil gallery plugs and diluted oil will reduce lubricant properties.

8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

+1 for previous posts .... considering you had the carby off you've probably got a bit of crud in the float needle valve - black smoke = rich

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

As you know check everything that has been taken off and all back as it should, lose wire may be some where, something simple I hope.

10. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

my second guess is if you removed the leads from the cap you have put them either back in the wrong spot or the wrong order. firing order is 1-4-3-2

oldman likes this.
  11. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

I didn’t remove any leads, but found one pulled out with a simply wipe with a rag and that was after the small drive, perhaps very little to no spark on that one. I think it’s #2 (closest to battery). Just checked dipstick, it’s 8mm above full line. And smells heavily of fuel. Oil change tomorrow arvo and see what happens next.

cbus likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Is your needle seat need replacing in carburettor!

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@MeMatt

as Wayne said ^^^^

Maybe as simple as
    • Tapping lightly on the top of the carb
    • Taking the top of the carb and taking the crap out that is holding it open
    • Putting a new needle and seat in
    Do NOT drive till this is done

David H likes this.
  14. Wayne murray

If you do take the carby top off also check the float it's self, never seen a bad one but have heard a few people say they have had one with a hole in it, which then the float fills up with fuel.

Barry likes this.
  15. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

Did an oil change, put a kit in carby. Started first go!!
    Drives well, wanted to stall a few times. Did that when I first bought it 6mths ago but then has been ok.
    Will see how it goes on a trip to work tomorrow.

cbus, Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Good to hear.
    The carby probably needs a tune

17. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

Yeah… last tune was feb 2018. Need to find someone in the Illawarra who’s happy to do it.

18. MeMatt

MeMatt Active Member

Bus ran good this morning.
    Only issue is that it wants to stall when pulling up at lights. If I cruise to the lights doing 10kmh it’s ok. Idles ok but wants to stall at times….

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Is it doing this when hot? Cold? All the time?

A lot of things have been touched lately.

Go back and check
    1. Valves
    2. Timing
    3. Carb
    4. Timing
    5. Carb
    Also make sure there are are no vac leaks in the manifold. You did change the boots.

Check your plugs and see if any are white

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Probably just an idle adjustment.