Brake Light Blues (or reds)

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Quombi, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Can anyone throw a suggestion into the mix with problems we are having with the brake lights.
    After replacing the engine and gearbox, bleeding and setting up the brakes, the brake lights refused to go out. We rebled the lines, primed the brake switch (2 pin) only to have the same problem.

We are now trying out third brake switch (new German one) and after working for a short run the brake lights are back to staying on again.

Is there anything in the system that would cause failure of the switch three times in a row???

Brake master and slaves are working fine, power to the brake lights ok bypassing switch. Dno can't think of anything else he has over looked.

Thanks in advance to any suggestion.

Hayley for Dno under the bus.

2. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Update to the above. When we press the brake and let it off quick the lights stay on. However if we have the brakes on and let them off slowly underfoot the lights go of....... ahhhhhh so no quick braking.....?

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

4. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Let me answer here for my own ( and the future garage floor dwellers) reference.

Somewhere past 3 o'clock this morning, I was pondering on the problem of the brake lights not going out ( as you do).

The answer (for me) was all in pre load of the push rod into the master cylinder. I had pulled out the push rod the first time we did the brakes. I had also cleaned out the old brake switch and reprimed it by filling it with a small amount of fluid. While I had the push rod assembly out, I gave that a pull-apart and a clean and put it all back together again.

The first switch didn't turn off, so I pulled it out, cleaned another and tried again with a same result. (This second switch was dodgy I'm sure). So we bought a new switch (for more than $7.00) and tried that one with the same lights-on result.

What wasn't taken into account was that when I put the push rod back together again, I hadn't reset the reach adjustment as before, so when the rod went back into the master it has about 6mm preload, thus putting pressure into the cylinder and turning the pressure switch on. All it needed was to take the rod out again, back the adjustment off 3 turns and done.

So very simple.... And I won't get that 3 hours of my life back ( lying under the bus, contemplating the workings of the brake system). ( I did consider a snooze as well, but the concrete is getting too cold for that).
    Right.... What next.... I'm almost running out of things to get done !

Maybe it's time to just drive... Almost time to head east !

syncro, saabman, stusbus and 3 others like this.
  5. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Now if you had inslab heating in your shed it wouldn't be s problem ;)