1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake warning light - goes out when braking

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Alan Butler, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Alan Butler

Alan Butler New Member

Had cause to change the brake warning light on the instrument cluster. Replaced with another 4 pin light from the US, however one pin was in a different location (marked 31 on the side) with a missing pin to its right where the old switch had a pin. With the replacement switch, all works as it should when starting, but brake warning light stays on and goes off only when pressure is applied to the brake pedal.

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Alan What year do you have and how long have you had it?
    There are three different brake warning lights, Three wire push button type finished in 71.
    72 - 73 had five wires
    74-75 had four wires.
    31 is normally earth wire BROWN colour
    The last two switches are basically the same except there is a terminal missing as you already know.
    As you turn the key the brake warning light and generator light goes on. just before or simultaneous as the engine starts the two lights should go out. It would only come on if there is A) fault in one on the brake circuit system warning you ,that you have half brakes working B) comes on and off all the time is normally a bad earth at the switch end. C) In your case you may have the wires crossed up some where as it is working the opposite to what it is meant to.
    If the brake warning light doesn't go out when the car starts,something isn't correct. re check that you have all the wires on the correct way,don't fall for the left hand drive wire placement compared to the right hand drive placement mirror images of themselves.
    So you have a 74 -75 ,may be late 73.
    31 = brown wire
    K = Red wire
    15 = black wire
    61 = blue wire
    The numbers and letters should be on the switch very tiny but they are there follow the colour wires to the numbers. like connect the dots.You should be right if everything else is working correctly,like you brakes themselves.
    Hope you can sort it out so you can enjoy driving it wherever it takes you .all the best Wayne

onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  3. Alan Butler

Alan Butler New Member

Hi Wayne, I have a 72 low light. Had it for about 4 years. Just started with cleaning a few things up. The speedo was out by a good 20kph. At 100 it would read 120. After being caught on a speeding camera in a tunnel, I thought I would fix the instrument cluster (GPS speedo didn't adjust in the tunnel and kept the last speed. I crept over the limit and now a few dollar lighter). When fixing the cluster I noticed the warning light was a bit damaged. Someone looks to had a go and getting the cover off and destroyed the surround. The auto electrician could get the light working correctly, so we thought about replacing the internal of the working light in a new case. As he opened the case the board inside the light crumbled away. I thought the warning light was working prior to starting all the work, but it may have been a broken board which stopped the light from working in the first place.

I have a greyish wire on 15
    Light blue on 61
    Red on K
    Brown on 31, although the brown wire has another small wire and connection coming from it, as if it is to connect somewhere else as well.

4. Wayne murray

That explains you comment about missing terminal. 72 I have three of them
    You should have a 5 wire one then if you have a 4 wire .Need to get another switch with 5 terminals.
    15 should be black which goes to fuse 12
    light blue 61
    red K
    two Brown terminals marked 31
    you can buy new lenses as well 423.jpg
    Look in bottom right on the second photo you can see the 5 wires
    421.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    Do you reckon I've got something in my stash that would help?
    Cheers

6. Wayne murray

You may have if you picked up a dash a while ago. Not sure what you still have, you have to have a look. o_O

oldman likes this.
  7. David H

Could you circle/highlight the spot you're referring to ? I've got lots of old dash stuff.
    Cheers

8. Wayne murray

It's about 50 mm long with 5, 1/2 size push on terminals on the back with what you see in the photo from the front 423 B.jpg

9. David H

Dash pod with brake indicator I have;).
    Cheers

10. Wayne murray

Check to see if it has 5 wires for it :rolleyes:

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I have a 75 that occasionally (and I mean for an hour or so every few months) turns on the light without pressing on the pedal, and then goes off when you release it. Tried a few obvious things but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. This extra info might help me find a reason next time.

Adrian

12. Alan Butler

Alan Butler New Member

Been keen David to make an offer for it, if it has the right number of wires at the back.

13. Wayne murray

Hi Mordred
    I take it you have cleaned all terminals on the back of the switch. My fathers car was flicking on and off when ever it felt like it. I ended up taking it out getting all the dust which I thing was making the current go elsewhere and making sure the terminals where pushed all the way in. The wires on the brake light switch (all the ones I've seen) seem to be tight to the unit which I take it over the years start pulling them self's out.

Mordred likes this.
  14. David H

Two dash in the stash both with 4 wires & no red button:( P1110608.JPG P1110607.JPG
    Cheers

15. Wayne murray

16. Alan Butler

Alan Butler New Member

Located a 5 wire light and connected as 4 wires, 15,61,K, and the 31 terminal adjacent to the K. Appears to work, although after initially turning everything on, it seems to short and the engine stops. Start the procedure again and no problems, until the next outing and then have the same issue.

David H likes this.
  17. David H

Do you want me to send you a 4 pin to see how that goes for you? Send a PM of address if you do.
    Cheers

18. Wayne murray

You still need all 5 wires connected,there should be two brown wires 31 earths.

19. Alan Butler

Alan Butler New Member

Thanks David, All seems to work now. Moved on to some paint issues.

David H likes this.