1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighter headlights and high beam?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Ninga, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Hey Groovers,

Just wondering about the headlights in our 75 bay. They are so bright they are blinding... I wish. I would almost be better holding a torch out the window. Can anyone advise me on brighter globes that will fit or another solution? Also, after finally finding how to switch on the high beam we have found we have to hold the indicator arm back for them to stay on, which makes it very hard when you need to turn a corner and you kind of get a sore hand after a while.:D

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks Groovers,

Chrissy and Paul. :)

2. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

The idea is to lift the indicator arm and let it go. You should hear a relay over on the left hand side click. This engages your high beam. Lift it again and let it go and you'll hear the same relay click. High beam is now disengaged. If this isn't working then I suspect you have a faulty relay.

To get brighter headlights you may need to fit an additional relay which will feed a good 12 volt supply directly to your high beam. If you still have the old sealed beam type of headlight, a H4 replacement can be purchased from our sponsor "The Bus Stop." This will make a significant difference and better H4 globes can be bought after-market which increase beam intensity without a greater wattage. Once you have the H4's in place, you can even buy 100 watt globes, but you will require a decent 12 volt power supply and an extra relay. The old VW relay may not be up to the task and you'll risk burning out your wiring.

Incidently, for anyone contemplating putting 100 watt H4 globes in a modern vehicle, make sure it has metal headlight buckets/reflectors. Most later model vehicles have a bright finished plastic headlight bucket and the heat from the 100 watt H4's melt them.

3. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Out of interest, I have fitted H4 headlights in my 74 bay, but just some old 55w/65w globes that I found in the shed since the new H4 headlights didn't come with globes. I haven't bothered to update the globes as I don't do much night driving, but I must do so soon. I took the Kombi for a run in the dark recently on unfamiliar heavily forested roads complete with twists and turns and I almost had to strike a match to see if the headlight were going!

I'm planning running a heavier 12 volt supply wire to the front of the vehicle, putting in a decent relay and running 100 watt H4 globes.................. as soon as this blasted weather warms up enough to allow me some shed time:umm:

4. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

5. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Philips +100 H4 Globes available from Repco or Bursons am a massive advocate for the Philips product, They are german made, use quartz not cheaper glass and last ages, they still draw 55/60watts whilst providing more light, I am about to do the wiring upgrade too because lets face it all electrics are only as good as the wiring it runs off.

6. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

That's why you need to fit an appropriate relay. Some have their own fuses mounted directly on top of the relay itself.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Make sure that you get the correct globe.

P45t - This is the standard headlight globe base. If you have the original headlights then this is the globe.

P43t - This is the globe base with the 3 prongs sticking out of the base. Some aftermarket H4 headlights use these. Fitted standard to Australian sold VWs after 1980 that had halogen globes as standard.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Do you want a hand?

A friend of mine wants to design a wiring upgrade kit for Kombis and needs some information from me.

Send me an email or phone me.

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

10. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

Um...

1500king fixed the headlights on both Sophie and Abby.... Sophie's were stuck on high beam for ages but weren't actually bright enough to need to be dipped, in fact they were so weak he wondered how we could see to drive in the dark at all... but I don't remember that he had to change the globes???

Abby.75

11. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

I just wired 2x load reduction relays into two of the empty relay spaces in the fuse box. The supply is split from the central 6mm wire at the fuse box(which comes from the starter motor + post) and the output from the headlight relay I wired into the switching side of the two booster relays. The ground fore the relays I connected at the main body ground point next to the wiper motor(there are a couple of empty spades) and I just moved the fused headlight lead wires to the 2x relay outputs. I then increased the headlight fuses(x4) to 16A fuses and put in 100W/90W P45T headlight globes.

This setup has the following effect;

-The power source to the headlights changes so that it becomes relay switched DIRECTLY from battery power. This is important if you do not want to fry the ignition switch and headlight switch as that is where they originally went through. The original circuit cannot take a globe power increase on its own-you will melt the ignition switch.

-You go to 2x 30/40 amp relays(one for low beam, the other for high beam) for direct loading. This takes the high beam load off of the headlight relay and leaves it to switch the main relays as a low current switch(300mA max)... The headlight dipper relay will melt on a 100W headlight increase without circuit mods. Your headlight dipper relay will then last forever as it has negligable current running through it(so will your headlight and ignition switch) as you are removing the entire headlight load from the vehicles original circuit..

A word of warning, use Wurth original style terminals only as they are strong and maintain their tension on the spades. The Narva un-insulated terminals are made of foil, lose their tension, create resistance and resultant heat (PLASTIC MELTING TYPE OF HEAT!)

What does the mod look like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  12. 1500king

13. 1500king

More;

[​IMG]

A better visual explanation of the mod with a circuit schematic of the mod addition( the circled part in orange) below;

[​IMG]

Rude pricks on the road who do not dip their high beams when they see you get the message pretty quickly with this bad boy system installed!! :)

14. 1500king

Sophie was "cock eyed"!! LOL! some retard wired the low beam on one headlight as high.... therefore low on one side, high on right/vice versa... not to mention they had painted and buggered reflectors, and were pointing toward the ground/sky!!! Still amazing how good original headlights are with good reflectors and correct aiming(per VW spec)... :)

15. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

[​IMG]

Were those relays sourced locally, or did you already have then in one of your boxes of spares??

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mate, that's really nice work.
    Especially for a mechanic!;)

(mechanics have a solder fetish)

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Do what i do mate, only drive day time, have not driven our bus at night yet. :lol:

19. kombivan

kombivan New Member

1500king solved this one but I would like to ask king if this will handle the 135w/85w bulbs as well or would it bee too much of a load?

20. 1500king

The relays are vw golf part numbered units...well they came out of a dead T3. You can go to a wrecking yard and pull some standard load reduction relays out of dead late vw's /audi's...get them for next to nothing..