1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband NBN

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Aug 10, 2018.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So we lost our ADSL on 24/7/18 because some Telstra guy played in the pit at the top of the street. Due for programmed swap to NBN broadband on 31.7.18. Been some difficulty around 'responsibility' & 'provision':(o_O. Been 'offline for 2 1/2 weeks as it's someone else's due diligence??????:(. Doing 'hotspot' from mobile after Lauren working out the 'work around' & now have a screen 'old eyes' can see.
    Nice to be back in the KC community:D:D:D.
    Happy days:).
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome back @David H we have missed you:). It's the same everywhere when they roll out the NBN :(:mad:. very frustration until they completely sort your area out,and your online with the NBN system.o_O I think it's more to do with the providers of the connection service to your home then the NBN Company
    (system)

David H likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Just one massive stuff up the whole roll out and no one willing to accept responsibility as it's someone elses fault :p

Haven't received notification when we're supposed to go on but will worry about that when it arrives :rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  4. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

When we lost our phones after the storm in 2015 Telstra provided us with complimentary 4G (much faster than our lost ADSL) and movie tickets.

The NBN contractor came out and attempted an install (wireless). Their contractor said it could not be done. NBN have no record of this even though their contractor said it would be logged. Since NBN is obviously a company based in India (from our own experience dealing with them) it appears we have no recourse. The people across the road have NBN satellite. The boundary is the middle of our road. We are not allowed satellite as a result. The people next door have NBN wireless but apparently we have trees blocking our reception.

Might chop down some trees for the sake of internet access...

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thats one thing I found that the USA had better than us, internet access and speed.

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back David......and there was I thinking you’d been sent to the “naughty corner” at home.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H and Grantus like this.
  7. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

We have NBN fibre to the premises as per the original labour government plan (changed to fibre to the node by the Liberals when they won office) and I have to say it’s been awesome. Three of us live here and we all have multiple devices. I can be streaming Netflix and surfing the net in the lounge whilst the others are both streaming movies on their devices and no sign of delay or buffering anywhere. I just did a speed test on my iPhone which is on the wifi at the moment and got a bit over 70 Mbps download speed.

8. David H

Finally back on internet with broadband after the NBN guy fixed two faults up the street. One in the Telstra box & one 5 metres away. Took him about 30 minutes all up after me spending over 4 hours on the mobile to get it fixed:(. Oh well.. at least I'm out of the naughty corner;):p:D.
    Cheers

oldman likes this.
  9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Go to complaints department and ask for compensation..

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Apparently 25 minutes drive from Parliament House, in the National Capital of Australia, is classified as “Remote Rural Australia”, and if ever we wanted an NBN connection, a satellite dish is the only way they would supply it......o_O

11. oldman

.....they really should have put Parliament House in a more urban location.....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Grantus

I think it’s a “NIMBY” thing........ anywhere else proposed, sensible residents would have cried: Not In My Back Yard! ;)

oldman likes this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Without getting into politics, FTP would have taken 50 years to roll out. Imagine digging up every street in Australia to lay the fibre?

They should have left it alone and fix what we had.

oldman and grumble like this.
  14. oldman

Agree Phill, we have FTTN.....better than copper but not by much....still choked by cable to the house.
    Should have been a (free) wifi option for folks that cannot get FTP .
    Sigh, politics and economics get in the way of better infrastructure...........again.
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. grumble

grumble Active Member

Chris yours must be on steroids,we have fibre as you have and 23.57 is average nearly as quick as when we had dial up. WOW!

16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Our old copper ADSL max's out at 2. OK for email and Kombi Club but NGB for downloads

17. Grantus

“NGB”??? I’m not a fan of acronyms...but quite lost with this one.o_O

18. David H

Have already. If Internodes complaint department acts as quick as the repair department I had better not hold my breath:eek:.

I think Alpal meant NoBloodyGood;).
    Cheers

19. David H

So 2 speed tests done from different sources 1. 26mps 2. 35mps
    I'm okay with that ( so far) on a 45mps service :).
    Sure beats the speed of the one we had for the last 3 weeks:p.
    Cheers

20. Grantus

I have worked with some excellent Eastern European immigrants, who was say things like: “No Good...Bloody!!” :D

But thought Al may be meaning something else......:rolleyes: