1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken valve?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Wolf River, Dec 22, 2016.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Might as well, if he owns a $yncro he had better get used to it

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  2. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Could have dropped a valve seat that's a air cooled issue but sounds awful too do a comp test

3. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

I thought the oil you talked about was on the spark plugs too.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they are like. look for fresh oil on the plugs that would indicate worn piston rings.

From your description it doesn't sound as bad now. Maybe a lifter taking a while to pump up. The lifters can be very rattly before they pump up. It sounds like a solid lifter with 15 thou of slack in it, like a small hammer being beaten on the side of the engine 400 times a minute (the cam and valve system runs at half the speed if the crankshaft).

4. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Having said that, the lifter won't make the engine choke out when you rev it.

Have you checked the connections to the AFM? I found my engine would idle very poorly and over fuel like crazy but not rev when I'd forgotten to plug the AFM back in after cleaning the air filter.

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Think I could geab those from you some time Phil? I'll model them up and see if it is worth while getting say 10 sets made up at a tube bender. I think if we could get them around the $250 aussie mark no one would have an excuse anymore

6. Wolf River

Wolf River Member

Compression felt good turning motor by hand so I got my son to turn over the motor with the key, there was a metallic 'clack' but then it turned over and started, sort of.
    It felt like it was only running on two or three cylinders but no more metal on metal noises... just running real rough. It takes a bit of cajoling to get it to start and when it does it dies unless I am playing with acceleration.

It feels like how it ran when timing was way off but how could timing suddenly go right off?
    I pulled plugs and they do look a little bit oily, especially on the left side (where I originally thought/felt issue was stemming from).

But surely if a ring was gone it would be blowing smoke?

The AFM is connected but there are two loose wires that do not seem to connect to anything (see images)????
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I'd be in for two sets, Nils.

8. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

I'd be in for a set at that sort of price. I object to paying the $700 odd that Australian suppliers seem to be charging

9. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

the blue one may go to the thermostat housing temp 2 semsor.

10. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

First wiring appears to be for the Diff Lock. Second Temp sensor maybe?

11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

I bought mine a few years ago from JK -UK, before they opened over here. Pretty sure it was around $400ish landed? They are $469 (+freight I guess?) on there now, no way I'd pay more than that...

12. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

13. Luckyphil

Tell them they are dreaming.

14. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Oops I was looking at the early t3 32mm pipes... Yeah what Phil said^

15. Jed

Jed Member

Hey Nils,
    I've got a set of plastic pipes at my place, save the trip to Phil's. I just changed out my sons with full length stainless I bought from Vintage VeeDub for $350. Admitedly, they had had them in stock for a long time. Bugger to fit, yep, but not impossible!

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

17. Luckyphil

The stainless pipes need to be cut in 2 to allow easy fitting. Thats how the main sellers JK, vancafe, Gowesty sell them

18. Wolf River

Wolf River Member

After seeing the oil on the left side plugs I popped it on the back of a car trailer and hauled it up to my mate's place in Maroochydore.
    He's retired but still fiddles and believes the motor was cooked. Even if it only a head issue I would prefer to do a total rebuild now rather than later as it likely would need it soon anyway with almost 300k on the clock (I will work on it with my mate).

On another note, my mate suggested that rather than put a decoupler in at huge expense, why not put in locking hubs?
    Anyone done this?
    It would require getting out of the vehicle to lock the hubs when 4wd is needed, but so what?

19. Wolf River

Wolf River Member

Yeah, that's what I said in an earlier post. I can't imagine putting entire pipes in. With plastic you have a bit of flexibility but not steel.

You must have uttered a few choice words putting your son's in, Jed.

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I really think that it be very expensive and probably impossible.