1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building A Rock & Roll Bed

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Cai, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Cai

Cai New Member

Hi does anyone have a rough idea of how long it would take to build one once i have the hinges?
    I have a good range of wood tools and power saws etc, just want to get it done before i go to the hunter valley for a week, trying to work out when to start?
    cheers

2. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Hi,
    I reckon if you had all the tools, materials, a plan and motivation you could easily get it done in a day. Its pretty much just a matter of putting it all together. Depends how you do it though.
    Good luck,
    Gabriella

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Yep... would be very easy if you have a small ammount of skill, a fair eye for detail and motivation. shoould also be a quickish job so long as you remember the golden rule, "measure twice, cut once.". :cool:

4. Cai

Cai New Member

Awsome well i my old man used to teach woodwork so that hopefully will be an advantage and all i have to do now is order some hinges off the bus stop!!
    thanks for the advice i cant wait to get started!!

5. Cai

Cai New Member

The next question would be, where do you buy foam etc to make seat cushions out of as mine are well and truly dead, also whats the most comfortable stuff to make a seat/bed out of?
    cheers

6. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Foam from Clark Rubber and you can get different densities. I think Rev. had a thread and some pics from when he recovered the R'n'R bed in Shirl.

When you're making the bed, let me know... maybe I could watch and learn - I have no idea how to do it if it aint a straight cut! :rolleyes:

Baz

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yep, Ian (Rev) had a huge thread about constructing his R&R bed. I'm just about to do it and was going to use his thread as a reference point.

Best of luck with it. :)

8. Cai

Cai New Member

Do you need to make a steel frame for the seat to be roadworthy?
    or can you just build it out of wood?
    cheers

9. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

I think its somewhat difficult to get a seat roadworthy if you are making it yourself, but I wouldn't know, I just put mine in. You might need an engineers certificate, especially if your Kombi isn't naturally a 4/5 seater.

I did it on an extreme budget where I didn't spend anything on anything at all, so I just pretty much made all my seat cushions out of whatever I could find/take. But I think high density foam is good because it will be used as a chair and a bed so you want to make sure its comfy, just make sure you get the right thickness so its still firm but foldable. Mine is steel from the hinges to the floor but the front is wood. It works but I don't really like using it as chair.

Gabriella

10. Organichead

Organichead New Member

I reckon steels the go. I'm about to centralise mine and looking closely at it I'm never using it for the kids to traval in again. God fobid but if a collision occured it would end up through the front windscreen.
    Safety first.................org........................................................

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You will need a steel frame to be roadworthy.

You do not need to get it inspected if the seat was fitted before some time in the 80s as they were never complianced then. Even the VW supplied Soprus had 2 persons on the compliance plate.

12. Cai

Cai New Member

Awsome mine has had a couch bed in it for at least 25 years and is complianced as a 9 seater! So i will build it using a basic steel frame and timber for the rest! I have ordered my hinges and bling from The Bus Stop so will get started middle of next week hopefully!
    cheers for the help everyone

13. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Cai did you end up doing this?
    Johnny (Kombies In Paradise) does heaps of RnR seats for people he may be able to let you know of legal issues etc.

jono

14. joel268

joel268 New Member

How do the seats bolt to the floor?

15. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

can some one direct me to a thread which shows step by step how to build a rand r bed ??