Bus Stop 2015 Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2015' started by melissa, Apr 6, 2015.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Gaffer tape for the roof Chris :)
    but the wait to access the driers was a problem
    cheers

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Whooosey!! We are waterproof! It's the mouldy smell I don't like..

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

That was awesome folks. Thanks to all that were involved behind the scenes. Great to catch up with such good folk.

We just arrived home after an extra night at Sawtell and two in Ballina. There have been some great photos so I will leave them at that, but I do have two extras. Met this guy in our caravan park at Ballina and had a good chat. Lovely guy. Been on the road by foot since 2013. Hopes to be back in Melbourne by June after an anti clockwise lap of oz. If anyone e wants to donate I said I would put the link up. I gave him one on the spot and even got to wear his helmet.

https://m.facebook.com/StormingAustralia

[​IMG]

And Bianca in the helmet.

[​IMG]

4. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

He has walked all over Australia in that suit....my son follows him on Facebook

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Knew he had been thru sunny coast n hoped might see him on the way.
    Massive effort on his part for a good cause

6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

hi Col tried denture glue , sort of helped a little bit but upon inspection at home turned out to be a rust hole in the gutter, have now fixed it , went from the out side in not the other way, checked the rest of the gutter and it looks like I might have a bit more work to do shortly, has a few bubbles popping up .

7. chris taylor

Carpets now out and drying of in shed ,ply wood floor damp but cant lift it unless I shift fridge and cupboards so just hope it dries out soon without causing any further problems , cheers.

ruby6689 likes this.
  8. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

No Chris I didn't get the message but wondered where you were at the dinner as we awarded you the 'Furthest travelled in a Kombi award'. Sorry to hear about your water problem, we too were inundated in the old caravan as we had left the hatch and windows open to go prepare for the Meet and Greet, poor Monty had his tonneau cover metal edge that is riveted to his cabin torn away from wall with the weight of the water and Blue Bus was like a swimming pool too. :eek:

Can you message me your address and I will get your award posted down.:)

9. chris taylor

Well I didn't expect that.:). I told them at the counter to make sure that you got the message and she said she would txt you as soon as possible. :mad: Once again thank you.

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep. I think my saviour for the weekend was my cheap tarp. It gained a home under the seat today with the other 50+ must have parts and tools.

11. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Chris, I just edited your address out of the post after writing it down, expect a parcel soon. :D

12. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I missed my yearly post last year but I will make up for it now. This was the biggest event we have ever had. Lorraine did such a good job it will be had to replicate. And the back up crew are not to be left out!! No names but you know who you are. Arrived Thursday and met up with the usual suspects. ALPAL the sculler and MOE the Jammer of any old tune on the Guitar. Friday saw the meet and greet and when it started to sprinkle I bailed to the comfort of the Bay. Bongo drums sounded heavily on the roof and I awoke to a flooded camp. Moe and Kai were stomping around in the mud with Kai muttering about going home. The Squidy came through with an offer of a spare concrete slab to camp on which eased Kai's thoughts of bailing the event. Choco and Summa's tent was totally destroyed by rain but the " Chimp Daddy" sought other accommodation in the form of a cabin. It sent him broke so he could only afford to eat bananas for the rest of the trip. The line up of Buses at the airport was incredible. People were standing in the pouring rain chatting away as if it was dry. No one cared about getting wet. What a sight that was.

Saturday night was a top time. It never ceases to amaze me about how many people actually attend this event. It can be seen in total at the dinner. We are still at eight people for the amount who have gone to every Bus Stop so far. And Melissa and I are a part of the last eight.

Went back to the camp later on Saturday night and had the best time ever. Someone was playing guitar as they do at these events. A semi captive audience was listening and constant updates were being received via the evil social media that is Facebook. The Pirate King was reading the apparent noise complaints that were being received. This is the Bus Stop. If you have a problem with noise, go to sleep! Works for me. ALPAL has created a monster with the Kombi races. Every year it gets bigger and always ends with a close finish and the crowd goes wild.

Then Sunday, the adult size JENGA is a dangerous game!!

Anyway, as you know I only post once a year, if that. If I was left to my own devices on here the admin would ban me for life!!!

regards to everyone, I love these trips. Bring on Tassie next year!!!! Cheers Scotty.

13. macada123

macada123 New Member

Well we stayed for for some extra nights and only got back home to Sydney late last night . Great location and atmosphere . We can only echo all of the positive comments and say thanks to Lorraine and the team for a great event , one which we thoroughly enjoyed as "bus stop virgins" and which we will definitely go to next year . Great food and atmosphere at the Gala diner with loads of laughs ! The Kids also absolutely loved it , meeting new friends and they particularly enjoyed the Kombi races !

Thanks again - Martin and Mary

ruby6689 likes this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sad to have missed another Bus Stop, let alone the biggest one yet.

Alhough there are many people that deserve credit in making this one happen, I am in awe at the energy and efforts of Lorraine, to do so much, and her ability to delegate when needed, to all the other helpful crew.

Fantastic job Lorraine, and all the support crew. :)

I now know why Kombi's rust! So often, when a Kombi gathering is planned, it seems to rain. :(
    Doesn't ever dampen spirits, but def dampens metal. :eek:

Ninga, ruby6689 and Debstar like this.
  15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Funny where Lorraine gets her energy from - the Ice Cream truck turned up over the weekend and Lorraine purchased a double pink sherbet covered ice cream and a can of coke.

Thats enough sugar to keep the average human awake for a month!

ruby6689 and Joy Kombi Wolfsburg like this.
  16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Sorted ya photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Rosie, macada123 and Syncro27 like this.
  17. Choco

Choco Member

So here is our story,
    Bus stop wasn't on our Volkswagen calendar this year but thanks to Rory with a little comment made us re think and make it happen.
    1800km in 2 days, not in a kombi I said well again thanks to Doc we were talked into taking the DC.
    Seemed our adventure was to start on the way up ... lap around Bathurst seemed like the right thing to do so 100km out of our way to find out the track was closed Doh! Must research things a little better. The second day travelling took us a little longer than expected which in turn arrived late, apologised to the poor after hours manager and set off to find our camp spot. Thanks to Kai, his dad and Mel for helping set us up for the night.
    Friday we took a look around coffs sites (was sunny that this stage) was busy socializing Saturday night when the rain started ........ then someone tipped a bucket over us glad I decided to check the tent... seemed we have a lake after a short "discussion"about what to do matthew ( to you guys choco) decided to call out the duty manager again poor bloke was probably hating us. I can honeslty say the caravan park staff couldn't not have been more helpful all weekend. 1 basic cabin was left so with that we threw everything in the car and shifted. We were wet to the bone.
    Saturday was wet as well but whats a little rain (wasn't buckets loads like the previous night) convy it was how cool to see so many all in the same place. Loved going back to visit Bellingen. The dc need some attention Saturday afternoon and thanks to the Grums for their help getting it running so much better. Saturday night is always a laugh, Mel expect a nice parcel in the mail soon :p.
    Sunday for us was what we like to call a rest day doing not much and packing, Matthew has fun trying to race in the arvo but he really isn't a very good driver.
    Monday for us was home time left at 5.30 (sorry if we woke anyone up) the plan was t0 get as far as we could due to having to get kids from school Tuesday, well we made 1250km through fog, rain, thunder storms was a huge day but made the next day an easy drive.
    Tuesday we arrived home with just enough to do school pick up
    I must say I did have a thought of just packing up and driving home Friday night.... but it past and glad we stayed we would have missed catching up with everyone

Huge thanks goes to Lorraine and helpers was a great bus stop

hopefully we will see you next year
    Summa (and Choco)

18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Oh dear... it's going to cost you more to post it than you paid for it!!! :D

19. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

"A tale of two worlds".......... by JD Dickens (apologies to Charles )

It was the best of times, it was the wettest of times
    it was the age of foolishness , it was the age of wisdom
    it was the epoch of belief in Kombis
    it was the epoch of incredulity that 97 Kombis would even travel that far
    it was the bus stop of laughter
    it was the bus stop of soggy jocks
    we had everything before us .......... (at the meet and greet on Friday night )
    we had nothing before us...............( after the heavens were rent asunder, dazzled by the beauty of so many assembled Kombis. that the heavens wept ....

and wept........and wept.......... in fact it just kept on bloody weeping.. !
    Such was the enormity of bus stop number nine , that I feel strangely compelled to inflict my own insufferable conceit upon you ...... and tell you about my weekend !
    Tuesday morning ....... hopelessly disorganised and shambolic departure at first sparrows flatulence
    Driving to the east with sunrise on my face ............. Absolute euphoria
    A long day with my favourite company (me and Hercules , bless her) humming along like a Swiss watch.
    12 hours later dinner in Wagga with my younger son and asleep in his driveway ...content.
    Wednesday morning , with the accompaniment of the same flatulent sparrow , I proceeded through some of the most beautiful country .... until I got to Sydney
    It took me longer to drive through Sydney , than it did Victoria .
    The Pacific Highway (.. Pacific is a derivative from the Latin word for peaceful) ......what a misnomer !
    I found it to be more akin to a narrow bitumenised artery of high velocity ordinance looking for a detonator and a brace of victims.No wonder New South Wales has a road toll to the power of X.
    I thought if I travelled through tolls, this would be quicker . What a con!.
    A scary discovery .... mobile phone reception with Old Man while I was driving under Sydney Harbour!!!! R. U. KIDDING?
    What is it doing to the content of my cranium if the microwaves/ radiation can penetrate that far ?:eek:
    Wednesday night with old friends at Port McQuarrie which then turned into an impromptu party , the net result of which, I did not get out of bed until midday. The proverbial sparrow had asphyxiated ...... so I took over
    Arrival at Sawtell 6 PM Thursday to discover the much reviled KRAS peninsular was a giant kindergarten and not the debauched piece of geography I had been hoping for.
    A completely unexpected highlight , watching the incredibly organised parents ( and particularly mums )organising small children . A major highlight of my weekend ' apart from all the debauchery ........watching small children interact and in the space of a heartbeat , become best friends and play in a most engaging and unreserved manner .Would that adults could not revert to such candour and friendship.
    Thank you Brad ( 68 bus ) and Anita ...... and Ninga and Paul . A truly salutary experience and one I shall cherish .
    Kombi hugs in abundance.......a natural high of such beautiful clarity meeting so many old friends and making new ones !
    Friday ....easy on my mind ..... talking and being at one with so many K C'ites that the day blurred until the clattering , chattering ,shattering arrival of 50 or so Kombis in addition to the 40 or so already there.
    Happiness joy and Kombi euphoria , so thick ,that I serve it up with cream all night.
    Meet and greet Friday night ...... never seen so many people with the pregnant expectation of good times to come .....totally infecting the night air .
    Then the rain came.
    Laughter until 20 or so KC'ites suddenly realised they had left windows open . See them all sprint/swim/dog paddle like mad through the rain.... including me. I left a Magnum of a pretentious little 2001 Malbec in the safe and capable hands of Al pal . I assume it was swept away in the floodwaters because it was never seen again .
    Such was the downpour I sat in Hercules reading a book when I saw flickering torchlight in my campsite . Sliding open the door , I saw my neighbours on their knees trying to resurrect my catastrophically monstered campsite. Initially I thought I had killed someone
    until I realised the floodwaters had completely demolished my annex..
    Fortunately ..... I was able to do a stocktake of everything that I had brought with me......... as it floated by the nearside door in the swiftly swelling Sawtell Sea .
    I congratulated my neighbours in having the situation so swiftly under control , slammed the door shut , and fell into a peaceful sleep.
    I have great neighbours.
    Saturday ....... by then the Sawtell sea had quite correctly turned KRAS peninsular into exactly that! Can't remember a time..... this century ..... when I've had so much fun in the rain....or alcohol for that matter .
    No one else seemed particularly perturbed,.and people just seem to be walking around. laughing, joking.and generally having a total blast !
    Virginia and Jamie .....may your God bless you for rescuing me in/on my pitiful sight/site that morning .
    Then the magnificent experience of a Kombi conga line all the way to the photo shoot . What an extraordinary experience shared with zillion other Kombis and everybody standing out in the rain ...... oblivious . ( or is that just me ?) I love the bus stop Kombi shoot !
    Saturday night
    180 something people banquetted with clockwork precision in a most acceptable way and with food deserving of a second ...... a third helping . All the while ,while looking extra ordinarily glamorous in nearly all cases . If this is how you can look with op shop formal ....then my tailor is fired.
    The espirit d'corps that night was... and is .... the ultimate advertisement for Kombi club . You could just see it in the faces of the virgins ( and I use the term most advisedly) as they wondered why they hadn't been to a bus stop before .
    The term " fellowship " is generally used in the context of Christian religion . If any church could achieve what I saw amongst 180 people that night , most of them strangers .....then without fear of excommunication... I would return .
    We were introduced to the moderators .... bless them all..... we got to thank the remarkable Lorraine for her superhumanefforts.....the long-suffering Andy ( gorgeous in pink and pearls as always ) funny awards .... beautiful and meaningful trophies fashioned with love and skill by the redoubtable Cornish

and there I must leave you ...... my last clear foggy memory that night, was standing on a chair addressing a sea of upturned expectant faces , beaming smiles and friendship

if I can summon up the arrogance , I will inflict further and better recall of what was .... on any view ..... a mighty Bus Stop.!!!!!!

JD in Adelaide:cool:

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

so .
    you enjoyed it??

glad you are home safe .
    Duco revolks?

Ninga likes this.