Bus Stop 2015 Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2015' started by melissa, Apr 6, 2015.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I was getting a little worried we had not heard from you JD.
    How far did you get on the Mars Bar slice and beef jerky?

mish13, ruby6689, 68BUS and 1 other person like this.
  2. macada123

macada123 New Member

Many thanks Kai , much appreciated , regards Martin

3. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Me too :)

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

[QUOTE="john doherty, post: 540906, member: 8434

I left a Magnum of a pretentious little 2001 Malbec in the safe and capable hands of Al pal . I assume it was swept away in the floodwaters because it was never seen again .
    JD in Adelaide:cool:[/QUOTE]

Twas last sighted floating thru Sawtell Lower! (Empty)

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Great to see you had a great time John boy. Oops JD in Adelaide I mean.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

That's okay. He answers to Uncle JD now too.

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, if you met that man at mt gambier bus stop in 2010,

8. Titch

Titch Active Member

Further to J.D's pretentious magnum of 2001 Malbec, Early at the meet and greet he paused to chat with this fine icon of the vintner's art clasped tightly in his hand. I am sure he said "You must try this fine wine, Vincenzo!" As we had full glasses of Chateau Cardboard at the time I desisted from wrapping my lips around the neck of said magnum to sample same as the cork was still firmly embedded. Later our wine had evapourated and looking around I spied said magnum sitting alone on top of an otto bin. J.D. was chatting to a group and rather than interrupting the mayor of the KRAS peninsular in full flight and as he also had his back to the otto bin I uncorked this icon, by now half gone, and poured two glasses. This was before the rains arrived. I doubt that Alpal would get much more than a sniff by the time the Malbec was left in his care. Very nice drop J.D. Vincenzo!

Ninga likes this.
  9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

It seems that every thread started about the bus stop ends up being about the wine:D

So I am not going to admit finishing JDs wine (so it wouldn't get stolen). Instead I was wanted to say that I was pulled over for sort-of-random RBT somewhere after Grafton. As the overtaking lane finished I merged in front of a police car and he pulled me over at first safe opportunity. Did any one else have the pleasure? He would have been quite busy if he was pulling over all suspect looking characters in old vans:) It was good to see a solid police presence on the Pacific Hwy though.

And I filled up with 98PULP at Grafton, using 35.7 litres for the 320 km trip to Brisbane and 'blasting' along at about 95km/hr with 2 paddle boards on top. I am pretty happy with this, about 11.2 l/100km.

10. Alpal

KCers are a pack of whiners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joy Kombi Wolfsburg and BrianK like this.
  11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Love your camper Martin.

Your annexe looks good too.

Is it quick/ easy to put up/ collapse and pack away?

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Here are a few more pics:
    After a hard day's racing :
    [​IMG]

'allo, 'allo, 'allo………what's all this then….?

[​IMG]

Here come da Judge….

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  13. oldman

The girls, Sue & Lorraine……..& The Girls:

[​IMG]

Happy people, Moe & Sue:

[​IMG]

Soggy convoy enroute to the photoshoot:

[​IMG]

That's all I have ….it went all too quickly….
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  14. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Okay......... back by unpopular demand...... to complete "my weekend" ( by JD Dickens.)

Saturday night gala dinner always has been in my limited experience , an absolute highlight where friendships are made, laughter is abundant and readily shared and even the quieter ones amongst us ,...... come out to play.
    To have the venue immediately adjacent to the lake formerly known as Sawtell camping ground ..... an absolute bonus.
    The rain did not have any major effect except possibly to remove the possibility of a fireside gathering and guitar sing-a-long on the beach ..... shades of Narooma bus stop .
    Sunday morning....... blessed respite from the monsoon .

The extraordinary thing about Bus Stop is that one can walk through a camp ground and stop at any number of camp sites dominated by a Kombi (..and they do!..) and be readily welcomed....instantly assimilated into animated social intercourse of a kombi flavour... laugh your diaphragm into spasm and generally enjoy yourself silly. Or at least I do, and everyone else I could see.
    Having purchased a couple of gargantuan remote controlled Kombis from KombiMuso, I then spent an hour trying to work out how they work and foolishly believing Old Man knew what he was doing , I cajoled him into being my wing man .
    He was ultimately..... as bad as I was ...which is no small feat !
    The Sunday afternoon Kombi races have turned into an extraordinary event , not missed by anybody and generally guaranteed to provoke much audience interaction and laughter .
    Al pal with his Sidekick John do a remarkable job and are rightly held in great esteem by everybody .
    The champagne event of the day ...... the king-size remote-controlled vehicles once again proved to be a total demolition derby ..... much to everyone's disappointment :D
    My only highlight was to successfully drive an oversized remote control Kombi up AlPals derriere! :eek: As much as he would have liked to have dealt with it, quite possibly with a good dropkick ..... he was too busy fighting off 2 other oversize monsters assaulting him from the front!

For some reason,the crowd thought this was hilarious.
    Sunday night ,as with much of the weekend, spent talking, drinking, laughing , befriending ...... the staple diet of every Bus Stop I have been to.

Monday morning ,the usual disorderly departure involving digging my possessions out of the mud , throwing them into Hercules and 100 hugs in a clockwise fashion around the campground.
    Left at about 10 AM and arrived in Wagga at midnight.
    Early Breakfast with my son and then the most extraordinary drive home thereafter . Fortified by Melissa's incredible Cherry ripe or slice or in my view .....staff of life in addition to her incredible "jerky" I made very good time until the Hay plain .
    Every time I drive home from bus stop I seem to hit gale force winds and Donner und blitzen.:confused:
    No different this time ..... black skies , thunder and lightning and 250 km driving directly into gale force winds . So strong in fact , my automatic gearbox kept being pushed back into second gear . I did the entire Hay plain in second gear . Preferable to a manual however
    because I believe I would have been" rowing" a manual gearbox for the four hours it took.
    As it was, second gear in a Kombi automatic gearbox is an almighty gear. It still allows you to travel at 85 to 95 km an hour . Try and do that in a manual gearbox!
    However , it took its toll and by the time I got to the Adelaide Hills at 9 o'clock that night I was maxing out at 5 km/h uphill .

Hercules got me home ...... just !

Not her fault ........4000 km in seven days Is so unfair on her .
    The funny thing is , she starts instantly, the motor sounds fine but as soon as I put her in drive , there is major noise characterised by the sound of tortured metal ,mechanical mayhem , grinding gears and an aural vision of Dante's inferno.
    Her first illness in the five years I've had her........ I feel like an even bigger b*#%^#* than normal .
    Lessons learnt.
    1 I love bus stop ...K.C'ites AndKombi Club.......but I will not do that again.
    2 As much as I love my old friends...the drinking and laughing....the aura of 90 kombis all communing together....the highlight was watching 68 Bus Brad and Anita..Ninga and Paul and..heaven forbid..the Stus bus (who I had preconceived as some major party demon...) also with a beautiful partner and an angelic little daughter who ran for the entire weekend....The children and family units are so very special to be around and I thank you for letting me be a part. Mille Grazie!
    3.Favourite Kombi ( and pristine virginal Bus Stopper/K.Cite)...Anita from Maryborough with her Portia...ingeniously camouflaged as " Wilbur " on the forum. Beautiful K.Cite and a magnificent Kombi whom she rescued from a paddock.
    4.Rain does not daunt Kombi folk.

Finally....heartfelt gratitude to my KRAS fellow Peninsularites...you all know who you are...and the K.Cites I havecome to regard as friends over the journey( the nos grows every Bus Stop )....Roy from Bus Stop for making this extraordinary event possible....the Moderators...bless you all and Lorraine....Mission accomplished!
    Kahuna...one day you and I will sit down and have a coldie!
    As to next years venue.....possibly academic in terms of geography.....KC'ites will come if they can. Build it and they will come!
    It will make sense to have it somewhere to the East , possibly near water, but most importantly manageable distances ie central. Significantly...Thursday now seems to be part of the event as well.

To all you Newbies....stay in touch....post occasionally...even if it is to say you and your Kombi just had a great day. OR...indulge yourself like I do and have a rant.

Otherwise....may your god be kind to you and your Kombi. I look forward to doing it all again next Easter,hopefully with ewes all.

J.D. in Adelaide:cool:

Ninga, Choco, 68BUS and 2 others like this.
  15. oldman

Nice JD, Nice……..
    Cheers,
    Mark

16. Titch

Titch Active Member

And so say all of us J.D. Your presence is a great highlight!.

Ninga likes this.
  17. Alpal

So JD. Was it OK???

Ninga likes this.
  18. Alpal

End of the event. Back in Melbourne after a few days in Newcastle. 2 day sprint down Hume with an overnight free camp at Gundagai. No probs..
    What's next???

19. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Bus stop Well what a Blast Rain will not weary them
    BUT it was nice to stay till Thursday and experience some of Sawtells better weather other wise burning the sign on the way in "welcome to sunny Sawtell " might have been on the cards
    Thanks to Lorraine and Andy for a top event and still making the effort of bringing a kneeboard down for Justine .He rode it today and loves it thank you.
    Thank you to all the behind the scene organisors and helpers they are much needed and appreciated
    Great to catch up

Cheers Doc and Kaye

20. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear you enjoyed your holiday Doc.
    See you in October. :)