1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2014' started by melissa, Apr 21, 2014.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Well after 9.5 hours drive, we are home.

Another fabulous Bus Stop. What a shame we only have them once a year - I love catching up with all the bus stoppers and hanging out with each and every one there.

The convoy down from Newcastle stayed at Goulburn and Bernie called in and so did Royce and the kidlets. We set off again on Friday morning and we were carrying a "silver blimp" (as Lorraine called it) on our roof rack. This was a set of crappy front original kombi seats wrapped in a silver tarp with a net over the top. They were being carried to the skilful hands of Necro for transformation - but more on that later. Our convoy was enlarged by 1 when Jobell pulled in front of us before the Yass service centre and we lined up for petrol - that was crazy! That place was so busy. So we set off for Griffith and we were tootling along - 8 of us - when a truck went past me and the whole silver blimp decided to leave the roof rack and hang over the passenger side - poor Dave and Elsa who were travelling behind me won the "Skid Marks" award - not for tyre marks but more for a change of undies. Lorraine will help out with a photo later. We stopped at Temora and had some lunch - although some Bus Stop virgins - Andrew and Nick - found out that some people still equate Nimbin and kombis with weed dealers and got asked at McDonalds if they had anything to sell!! lol

[​IMG]

Photo taken by Lorraine.

We got to Griffith to the caravan park and overwhelmed the owners as the Vic crew arrived at the same time. We got set up and it was so good to see all of those familiar faces. Peter put on a great BBQ on the Friday night and bed called. Saturday morning was the cruise up the main street and back and then we parked up outside a spare parts place, I managed to grab some more petrol and then we raced to find the rest of the convoy who were going to the rail yard for the photo shoot - although we managed to only find 5 kombis pulled over for RBT!!! We found the others, lined up, photos were taken, then most of the crew headed out to the La Festa.

My plans were different though - Necro was waiting back at the park and we worked on piecing together some magnificent seats for the bay. He really had his work cut out as they were rough. I bought new coconut padding and after working away for most of the day, we now have a spectacular pair of black seats with avocado green piping, to match my door cards.

[​IMG]

That bought us to Saturday night. Some of the costumes were very clever. I am hoping others have taken photos. The club didn't know what hit it and thank heavens we had our own room - some of the locals made it pretty clear they were not impressed, but too bad - we were having a good night and were not hurting anyone. Great work Peter on getting the bus sorted and the club looked after us with great food.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning showed the Easter bunny had left some eggs for the kids around the playground and they had great fun finding them. We then went for a cruise out to the de Bertoli winery and they had music and food and it was a lovely relaxing afternoon. I tried leaving a little early and going back to the park for a nana nap but when I got back there, they were having the world championship Bocce tournament opposite my spot! It was all ok though, everyone was having a good time. The photo is Nathan and Christine and Eloise (Dubman) enjoying the de Bertoli winery afternoon.

[​IMG]

At 3.30pm on Sunday afternoon, we had the kombi races. Alpal found a spot close-by and set up his track, and Cornish set up kombi golf as well. I will let Alpal give his run down on the races and winners. I think he was disappointed there were not more bribes! Sunday evening we had another BBQ get together and we sang Happy Birthday to River who turned 3 today.

I know of 2 kombis being sent home on a tow truck - Sam's and Lorraine and Andy's. I hope they will be fixed easily and quickly.

I wish the Perth convoyers a safe trip and you have a great time.

Thank you everyone for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at another event in the future, whether it be another Bus Stop, Valla, Old Bar, The Nationals, Berry, etc.

Oh... and who took my name badge home?

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic - shame we couldnt come this year and I am soooo looking forward to the photos.

3. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Name badge found Melissa. Kat must have "borrowed" Friday night and forgot to give it back. I assure you she looked apologetic. She wasn't able to express that sincerity verbally :lol:

Aime.

PS: I can post it to you if you like??

4. Doody

Doody Member

5. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Great Weekend HUUUUUGE thank you to Peter awesome effort in the organisation Great to see old friends and of course make new ones

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Was next years location announced by any chance?

7. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

So pleased you made it home safe :)

Coff's Habour

8. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Next year we need to have a home brew tasting afternoon :lol:

9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

No it's all good Aime, you can just stick it in the glovebox and give it back next time I see you - you never know, it might get you out of trouble one day! LOL
    Did you have a nice peaceful drive home? (For those that don't know, Kat lost her voice - we also were a bit tricky and everyone was swapping name badges all weekend - I was Corey for a while and then I ended up being Big John)

10. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Peaceful drive? Well, you know Kat. If she's got any voice left at all, she'll use it, but she had to resort to teaching me sign language by the time we got to Bendigo:lol:

11. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

We made it back last night, just in time for dinner. had a great run down and back again and such a great time , Peter did a great job and the day at DeBortli was the winner for Christine, just relaxing and enjoying each others company, Thanks Mel for the shot of my butt too.:p Little Ellie's face says it all in the pic she had a great time over the weekend and was such a great car tripper, no complaints happy to cruise and be lulled into relaxation by the tones of a Kombi with a vintage speed exhaust plus getting to wave and smile at so many friendly Kombi folk when out and about she was in her element as was Dad. It was great to catch up with old friends and make lots of new friends. For all of that I thank every one for Making the Bus Stop what it is. I am yet to browse all my photos as I have a list of too do's around the house a mile long I shouldn't even be on here now:eek:... so will post pics when I can.

12. Roo

Roo Active Member

Hey all, thanks for a great day cruising around Griffith in "The Kombi Club"!! This was our first Kombi Club event and even though it was extremely short, it was excellent. A big thanks to Doc, Col and their wives for making us feel very welcome within the first 5 mins. We didn't even get to the end of the main street and we were wheeled in, introduced and welcomed into the "Split Chapter" of the Bus Stop!! Thanks also to Tim and his generous coffees...
    Sorry we didn't get to catch up with more of you, but this just means we'll have to keep coming to events until we meet everyone!!
    Thanks also to Peter and Doody for their organisation of such a wonderful event at their end and also to The Bus Stop organisers for their part as well.

Until the next one....

Roo and family.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for making our first time bus stop a most memorable experience. It was good to be able to meet those who we only new by a name on the forum. Great weekend , fabulous time and proud to be a member, looking forward to catching up with everybody again next year if not sooner. Special thanks to Peter for all the hard work he put in to make it all come together, .....Khombine..Chris and Marlene :D :):):)

14. davidmcmahon

davidmcmahon New Member

Davidmcmahon

Bev and I had a great Easter weekend with the Kombi Club.Peter did a tremendous job organising it. We felt a bit out of place in the only T.5. Kombi , but it is still a kombi , with a bed in the back....we froze like everyone else. The highlight of the weekend was the " dress up dinner " at Southside Leagues Club.....(thanks , Peter ) and the afternoon tea supplied by the C.W.A. Ladies.....Wow !!! It was our second Bus Stop and we are now looking forward to the next one in 2015. We will be able to drive our splitty!

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

We are still on our way home, and at the moment visiting a previous busstop site at Narooma. Another few days before we catch the boat back. Echoing all the thanks to Peter for organising a great event.
    We have seen so few kombis since we left Griffith only one in Braidwood, and another in Moruya which had broken down. Nrma guy had said it had no spark and called a tow truck. 10 mins I had it running sweetly with the points readjusted. Grateful owner brought beer and wine to our camp. His name was Shane and he has stayed with Lorraine in the past. Also saw a yellow one today north of Narooma.

coming up on 2000 km with about a thousand to go.

Adrian

16. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

We arrived home today minus Molly the kombi and Pandi our travelling companion.

NRMA premium Care proved once again to be worthwhile. Molly's engine is running perfectly but it was the pitman arm in the steering that got us in trouble. Molly will be shipped back to us in the next couple of weeks and will miss our Nimbin MardiGrass Kombi Konvoy.

Over the last couple of years a few of you have met our ever present cat Pandi. who had been fighting a battle with the very rare disease Cryptococcosis. While our other four animals stayed in boarding Pandi got to travel in our Kombi and Caravan something she loved as she needed special medication. Day two of our journey down she fell gravely ill and we rushed her to my mothers vet which just happened to be only 15mins away, our vet was 800 klms. After ultrasound and consultation between our vet and my mothers we decided that the kindest thing to do was to let her go peacefully. 'Pandis Story' can be googled as I blogged her journey over the last two years in a hope that we could help other cat owners faced with this little known disease. She was an amazing fighter who went to hell and back twice and she will live in our hearts forever.

It was a bittersweet Bus Stop for Andy and I but we did have a wonderful time catching up with our KC friends and meeting new members. It was just lovely to meet River, Dave and Jedda's gorgeous little boy, I can't believe it has been so long since we last caught up with many of you, the years just faded away and it seemed like yesterday. The Bus Stop does that.

To Peter and helper Doody a massive THANK YOU, I know how much work goes into these events and you did an amazing job. We loved being shown around your part of this wonderful country. Saturday night was a blast, so many costumes, so many laughs.

I'd also like to thank our great traveling companions on the way down.

Bring on Bus Stop 2015, see you all there.

17. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Very sorry to learn about Pandi Lorraine. She will always occupy a special place in your heart.

Kind regards,
    Aime.

18. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Ok a week out from Bus Stop 2014 and only a few (very good) photos . I'm not usually a sceptic but I'm starting to think Griffith was a SCAM ? Please prove me wrong and share the good times for those of us who couldn't make it ........go on you can do it :lol:

19. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

My internet and house phone are currently having issues so haven't had the speed to upload mine. hopefully can in the next few days.

20. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Still in wa....not home for another two weeks, will upload pics when I get home as I cant shrink pics here on my tablet thingy