1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2014' started by melissa, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Yes I was starting to think that the Griffith Bus Stop was a conspiricy theory too.

Photos please!

2. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

The Proof

Ellie keen to drive after a stop at Goulburn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick Stop in Yass for a Leg stretch and a token clean Kombi Shot

[​IMG]

3. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Set up at Griffith.
    [​IMG]

So many lives taken before their time

[​IMG]

Thursday Early Birds.

[​IMG]

4. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Big and Small, One is super fast and hard to control, the other is a Kombi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Town didn't know what hit em.

[​IMG]

5. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

6. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

7. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Did someone say Photo Shoot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So nice rear ends.....

[​IMG]

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

More from the rail yard

[​IMG]

Great view from the look out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Hot!
    [​IMG]

Your too full from all those country cakes dad I'll drive.

[​IMG]

Local VW Dealer Photo Shoot. The Service manager is still getting over his heart attack... "no no we dont have the parts......"

[​IMG]

11. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

12. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Toy Races

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Casualty

[​IMG]

I Haven't got the pics from the costume night off Christine and I's phones yet will go through them and see whats postable soon.

14. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Great photos Nath, I can see you are going to have to start saving your pennies so Ellie will have her own Kombi when she's old enough to drive.

I hope the kombi in the last photo has found it's way home. Ours is 'somewhere' no one is real sure where :umm: but hopefully will arrive home Thursday or Friday, we will need a miracle to happen to get her fixed for Saturday's Kombi Konvoy.

15. arthur

arthur New Member

Bob and I would like to thank everyone for such a great weekend at Griffith. A beautiful town. We loved the cruise on Sat aft around the wineries and sights of Griffith, also the chatting at the BBQs etc. Sat night was a lot of fun. You will be pleased to know that Bob is getting a bigger remote kombi, so he wont have to have such a penalty start next time. Thank you Peter and others for your catering and all the hard work making it a fun time for us all. We came home via Bathurst and decided to do a 'hot lap' around Mt Panorama in "Gertie". 20kphs uphill and 120 down until we saw the 60 zone. Sorry to hear about your loss Lorraine. Thanks for all your hard work as well. Regards Bob and Sheryl

16. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Sensational Photo's,
    Especially love post 32 the black and white pic of all the cool buses at the Das Auto Dealer.:cool:

just very sad I could'nt make it.:(

Steve:)

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Woohoo!!! look at Little Red go!!!

18. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Well done Nath, my scepticism was premature !!!!:cool:

19. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Diary of a bus stopper.

April 1st and here I am feeling a fool once again. Have suddenly started posting again when I promised myself after the last bus stop, I would not carry on like I do before every bus stop. Just can't help myself which on reflection, might suggest that I am not completely old yet.
    Note to self; make sure you are packed organised and ready to rock 'n' roll well in advance.!

April 14th
    have been posting like a madman, Reading and savouring everybody else's posts and checking out the forum a couple times a day. Idiot!!! Why can't I be cool and suave like BierDoc? Probably because I don't have the magnificence of a "Kaye" to prop me up and a scarlet Vermillion panel van that quickens the pulse just to look at it.

I should be more like Al pal……….Cryptic…….Caustic...... and……… cagey…….But then he too has a credibility bank in the lovely Carol!
    Note to self; be cool…… Fool!

So comforting to read the soothing and ever helpful comments by Melissa and Lorraine. Grinning with approval when the enforcer….Mark the Old man who politely but firmly polices the rare but occasional malcontents on the forum. But then…… He has Sue…… Another female fortress of fortitude.
    Is there a pattern here?
    Note to self; perhaps an oestrogen implant….God knows the testosterone disappeared last decade.

Convoy plans, costume ideas, a million minor obstacles all circumvented at the last moment except for a few of the unlucky ones e.g. Squidy..... Westfalia (Ruth)……….BK down in Mt Gambier preparing for the Perth Odyssey and countless others.
    The rate of posting accelerates……… The excitement is palpable and the ever present soothing updates from Ground Control Griffith via Peter and Doody gradually weave together the possibility……… No that's not right…….the certainty of an epic weekend.
    Note to self; I am still posting like a frenetic fart in a fibrillator….Be cool, fool!

Thursday the 17th April on the eve of a massive weekend.
    People now signing off, convoys forming and I can just visualise the voracious Victorian Volks wending their way, led by our very own Pied Piper Necro and Jedda on their way to the now customary warmup…… At Jeddas parents farm.
    My much heralded plan to depart early Thursday and warmup Thursday night becomes a facsimile of me…….A joke! I almost tear my hair out in frustration when I read of the departure of the mushroom herder .... Brian or Tangles as he is fondly known.
    Just like all the other bus stops, I start packing two hours before I plan to leave.
    Note to self; #*##!!**#!

Good Friday 18th April 3:30 AM
    I am away…… With at least four hours sleep, hot shower and three Hail Mary's over the engine Bay.
    Dear diary, a cliche I know…… But I just wish I could bottle the feeling when one first sets off to Bus stop. The magnificent sunrise on an open plain at the start of a road trip is one of the greatest times.
    Stopped off at Ouyen, at the local bakery with the dark green bay out the front.Deeksy 62 is the proprietor and his bakery is jumping with half the population of Ouyen. Fabulous pies and magnificent Coffee!
    Keeping in contact with C bus….Everyone's mate Col and rightly so given the generosity of his technical expertise and experience on the forum and regular rescues at bus stop……… I finally pulled into Griffith caravan Park at about 4 PM 12 hours later. Fabulous timing….The victorious Victorian contingent arrived at the same Time.
    Bloody hilarious watching the two elderly proprietors go nuts…… Trying to deal with the Victorians all at the same time.
    Dear diary, quite apart from the fabulous social aspect to the weekend, I am convinced that a big part of it is the actual achievement of not only unplugging oneself from our day-to-day existence, but actually getting there with our temperamental vehicles, ready to start the weekend!
    Religion never made me feel this good……
    proudly drove through the campground playing Wagner….Flight of the Valkyrie at full blast. That made a few heads pop out….Until they realised it was just JD displaying his plumage......Wanker!
    A fantastic evening catching up with so many beautiful people, and the fabulously organised opening barbecue by Peter.
    Note to self; find out if there is a medical explanation as to why people who drive Kombis are invariably colourful…… Interesting…….And warm spirited human beings!

Saturday 19th April
    the Kombi convoy down the main drag of Griffith was hilarious. Particularly the horrified look on the petite blonde police officer who pulled over a handful into the R BT station only to see another 50 Kombis follow the handful into the R BT lay over.
    As always, the convoy stopped the town but most noteworthy, were the countless small children dragging their gene donors to the side of the road to see the funny cars.
    A succession of lining up on the main drag was a hoot watching the local traffic slow to a crawl as they went past. The photo shoot as always….An inclusive and familial, friendly foto fest.
    Peter and his consort (Elizabeth) then took everybody on a remarkable tour. Having spent 12 hours in my dear girl, I did what I always do….Headed back to the campsite and started drinking in preparation for the night.
    Note to self; what is it about fancy dress that brings out the "inner child".
    An excellent venue, a room to ourselves safe from the startled stares of the locals and some very thoughtful awards and speeches. Thrilled when I was mentioned in dispatches but horrified when Lorraine shoved the mike in my hand and said "say something". That might account for some of the odd looks I received the rest of the weekend.
    Transportation to and from the event, absolutely flawless and without hitch.
    The rest of the night, the campground buzzed with bonhemmie, laughter and the unmistakable sounds of friends frenetically fermenting friendships…… Even though they may have been strangers 24 hours previously.

Sunday 20th of April.
    Another beautiful day heralded by the sound of children on an Easter egg Hunt with Mumma Melissa presiding as she always does.
    Note to self; how is it that the kids at Bus stop have the best time of all….And they don't even need alcohol?
    Another extraordinary day organised by Peter with wineries, remarkable country hospitality by his church group and generally, a magnificent day all round.
    If that were not enough……… At 3:30 PM (what a refreshingly sensible hour) the races marshalled by Al pal and his sidekick John. The format becomes increasingly complex…… The competition more technical and the mechanical wizardry ramped up to a new level. The event is legendary and missed by nobody. It is that good.
    Sunday night, once again campground buzzing with such warmth that one is inspired to simply walk from group to group and join in the laughter. I would have covered more groups and met more people if I had not stumbled into Ninga, Paul and their delightful daughter Gracie along with Peter (the Shearer) and Karen, Sam and Margy who spent the night laughing…… Interrupted only by the occasional word.
    The last night, always bittersweet but so rich was the weekend…… No sadness.

Monday 21st April
    the last breakfast, spent communing with others and then a general…… Throw everything in the back and let's get out of here approach. At least that was my approach with everyone departing in a tad more orderly fashion.
    The last of that most magnificent and replete of all physical contact (with your clothes on)….Kombi hugs and I departed at approximately 11 AM arriving home in Adelaide at 10 PM.
    Dear diary, being the intellectually arrogant toad that my associates generally know me to be, I marvel at how the the lavicious, liberating, luxurious, lustre of this my now fifth bus stop has never worn off. It should have and in the emotional wasteland that was once occupied by my heart……… I marvel at the breaking of the drought that every bus stop does for me.
    I thought about so many people whom I see but three or four days a year yet I count them as friends. Friendships require time and common experience which is generated by effort and social maintenance…… The latter two the more difficult to find as one ages yet those four days, generate a sense of family way beyond and disproportionate to such a small window of the year.
    Note to self; get a grip on yourself!!

Coffs Harbour next year……...................

JD in Adelaide

20. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

JD in Adelaide:cool: