1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The kombi club bus stop 2021' started by melissa, Apr 6, 2021.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Have not quite made it home yet but have finally found some internet. Still sitting in pouring rain though.

First let me say to Leo and Trish you did a fabulous job organising in trying circumstances - thank you for all of your hard work. Nothing can be done about the weather or Covid - we have been very lucky over the years - but it didn't stop us having a great time.

We travelled with Tammy and Adrian (Mordred) setting off from Newcastle on Monday morning. They were taking Kates' Kombi Rocky back to her in Townsville via the Bus Stop from his holiday in Tasmania. Monday night we stayed at Red Rock, just north of Coffs Harbour and then on Tuesday we continued up the coast, checked out Byron Bay and the lighthouse while listening on the radio the discussions about what they were going to do with Bluesfest. We spent the night at Brunswick Heads then made the decision we would head straight to Maleny and arrived Wednesday while Brisbane was in lockdown.

Set up was easy as it had not been raining yet - that started Wednesday night. We had a few fine breaks during Thursday but it just kept coming back. The pub dinner Thursday night was great! They served us quickly and superb food as well. Friday saw more arrivals and the Mexican food truck on the Friday night hit the spot.

Saturday still saw the rain coming down - Leo was in two minds - do we take the risk and drive to the lookout where we probably wont be able to see any view or do we just stay put? He made the call and the troops rallied!! Excellent location- not too far away and easy parking for all that drove out there. I am sure most of you would have heard about Squidy and DJ's horrible accident where a tree fell on their splitty Mango on the way back to the campground - we are all very thankful they were not seriously hurt and metal can be replaced, people cannot.

Saturday night saw our gala dinner held on the premises - that was such a blessing - imagine us trudging somewhere dressed as the stars we are in that weather? The food was delicious and we had a great time. Shame the entertainment fell through but it was another covid casualty.
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1? I think I am B2...

B1.jpg

Sunday saw us - and the majority of others - beaten by the weather. We were in mud and everything was very wet. Our gazebo did not come home with us - she was pulled down, put into her bag and given to the homeless family with the 5 children with 2 swags. That gazebo has travelled up and down the coast with us, even going to Tassie and now retired to Maleny. Mick and Kaz - I couldn't help but snap this photo - first one there - last one to leave...
    B16.jpg

After saying goodbye to friends, we headed south and go as far as Pottsville and found a motel room for the night with a laundry so that I was able to wash and get clothing etc dried. Monday morning and it was still raining so we stopped at Coffs Harbour to get some tent poles for an awning but it was going to cost about $70 for three so we bought another basic gazebo for $99. While inside, we were joined by another KC'er (sorry I missed your name) who is a local. For a moment I thought it was Chris Taylor, but it has Victorian rego. We wound up at Sawtell (where we held the 2015 Bus Stop) and are spending 2 nights with Mark and Sue (Oldman). It's still supposed to rain for the next couple of days but enough is enough - home we go tomorrow.

Looking forward to next year at Dubbo and getting back to normal!

B5.jpg

B7.jpg

Campsite at Brunswick Heads

B8.jpg

I don't remember where this was - but it wasn't raining!!
    B10.jpg

View attachment 58870

Leaving Newcastle Monday morning

B13.jpg

At Coffs Harbour buying a new gazebo.
    B14.jpg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Great write up Melissa!

wirrah and melissa like this.
  3. melissa

Thanks Barry - I hope others add their posts as they make it home.

4. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Mel, that green van looks like our first kombi, Steve has it now, or he did. Great wrap up by the way.

melissa likes this.
  5. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Ahh the T3 being first and last there....resilient bunch those T3’s and their owners ;)

Grantus and melissa like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@melissa how did Josie perform on her maiden Busstop under your command?

Debstar and melissa like this.
  7. melissa

Josie has done pretty well so far - we are still at Sawtell until tomorrow then coming home. Slow up the hills and thirsty being an auto but she doesn’t leak in all of this rain which is a good thing. We will tweak a couple of things and looking at getting a pod trailer for surfboards. Adrian tried helping fix the fuel gauge but no success just yet. Hopefully Alpal will have a look if we catch up on his way back down to Melbourne via Newcastle.

Debstar, Alpal and Dapom like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I've got spares if Alpal needs bits;) @melissa .
    Cheers

Debstar, melissa and MAP77 like this.
  9. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well written recount Melissa. Your donation was very generous. No wonder we love you.
    Safe (and hopefully dry) trip home.

10. melissa

Thanks David - I have a spare so hopefully we will get it sorted.

11. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-7_17-19-39.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-20-5.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-21-45.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-22-14.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-22-52.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-23-25.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-24-7.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-24-37.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-25-9.jpeg upload_2021-4-7_17-25-39.jpeg

We left a week before Easter and got good weather at Old Bar.

Merry Merle, Debstar, 73kombi and 7 others like this.
  12. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

And then Scott’s Head
    upload_2021-4-7_17-31-30.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-7_17-31-51.jpeg

upload_2021-4-7_17-32-20.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-7_17-32-45.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-7_17-33-15.jpeg

Debstar, kombi69, Dapom and 7 others like this.
  13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Bailed that one up @Kazz;):cool:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Kazz, Whitie, Debstar and 2 others like this.
  14. skarab

skarab New Member

Good wrapup Melissa. Looking forward to catching up with everyone again in Dubbo.

15. melissa

Thanks Lyndsay. I am hoping others will write about their trips and post them here too.

Debstar likes this.
  16. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

That was me in Coffs, great to see Melissa on the way back from QLD, although it is still raining here in Coffs Harbour, had just about enough thanks!!!!

melissa likes this.
  17. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Hi Brian, yep that the same van, coming up 12 years, still going well, just needs a little care with the rust, living on the beach is not doing it any favours!!

BrianK likes this.
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

DAEADD4D-006E-4B7D-9188-B275918AA152.jpeg

Well our Bus Stop started.......but did not go the way we planned.
    We chose to go up the New England to avoid the rain on the coast.
    Great run and propped at Nundle for the night. A beautiful spot with no one around, great pub and clean campsite that allows fires and dogs........winner !

Then the 5hit hit the fan with the Brisbane C19 case....we were going to be at Stanthorpe for the next night but had to seriously consider the ramifications of coming into contact with anyone “fleeing” Brisbane.
    So, we decided to stay at Nundle for 4 days....... and had a fantastic, relaxing time.
    Then, on the Glen Innes for a day of sapphire fossicking.......ended up with about 20 keepers....I have a new obsession !

As we had cancelled all our northward bookings, we had to do a lot of frantic ringing around to find any vacancies. Sue managed to jag a 4 night cancellation on an ensuite site (luxury !) at the Big 4 Sawtell...... site of the 2015 Bus Stop.
    We were joined there by Scott and Melissa, after being rained out of Maleny. Great opportunity to catch up, share a few laughs and beers before they headed off home on Wednesday.
    Also caught up with a few mates from school who have moved up to Sawtell/Moonee area as well.

Next leg of our trip sees us at Lanis for two nights, where Sue upgraded us from a site to a cabin.
    Great move, as the heavens really opened up last night and saturated any/all campers.
    Here for another night enjoying the solitude and sunny breaks.

Home tomorrow to unpack and dry the canvas out.
    Whilst this is not the BusStop we had planned, it has been an awesome, relaxing holiday with lots of new sights, sounds and experiences to come back to in the future......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Whitie, Debstar, 73kombi and 12 others like this.
  19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Glorious blue sky morning at Lanis today....slow packup, said our goodbyes and headed out. Pleasantly surprised to bump into David and Bev McMahon on tne way out. Fuelled up at the local and hit the freeway south......Just pulled in to Bulladelah for brunch.....great trip so far. cheers, Mark

Debstar and 73kombi like this.
  20. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Social Distancing at Maleny.......................
    upload_2021-4-9_11-2-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-9_11-2-43.jpeg