1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stop Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The kombi club bus stop 2021' started by melissa, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Nice weather when we arrived and the Hinterland is very nice country. The Meet and Greet Mexican dinner night was well organised and the food so good.

No Photo Shoot it was too wet but we did the cruise to Balmoral Look Out the view was blanketed by mist but nobody minded and onto Montville which had Montville Woods Gallery that showcased some really beautiful timber products all Australian made along with lots of other interesting shops and galleries.

Back at the Showground on the Auld Cork Oval we hung out with the Bribie Island Vee Dub Crew, the Bayside Kombi Kruisers and Fraser Coast V Dub Club seeing that a lot of our usual Bus Stoppers did not make the journey up north but there was plenty of Queenslanders to have a beer, wine and laugh with.

Besides all the organising Leo and Trish did a great job of hosting the Gala Dinner night dressed as Kath and Kel............Trish really had it “down pat” as Kath.
    The trophies are something else............something that is “definitely going straight to the pool room”

Sunday morning had us going to breakfast with Leo Trish and a few others to Secrets on the Lake, Lake Baroon Montville. The resort is something special and so was the breakfast.

Then back to the show ground to pack up and leave some tracks on the lush green red soil oval that was a little wet !!
    Over all the Kombis did not do much damage at all to the grounds we camped on considering the amount of rain that fell which is always a good thing.

Shame about the weather but it was still another fun Bus Stop at a great part of Australia !!
    upload_2021-4-9_12-6-56.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Last chapter in our Bus Stop journey........
    Brunch at Bulladelah.....always good athe Myall cafe :).
    Decided to leave and walked back to the kombi.......
    On the way, we recognised Billhilly ,( Phil’s bus, co-piloted by. Deb ), parked up in the Main Street.
    After a nice catch-up about Maleny, we all headed South.
    A great run home saw Phil n Deb peel off the freeway leaving us driving solo.....
    Now unpacking.......and laughing about silly things that happened.:D
    Definitely not the the trip we had had planned ........ but a fabulous time exploring parts of NSW we’d never seen and marked for return.

Cheers,
    Mark

MAP77, 73kombi, Aspudis and 5 others like this.
  3. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

Fix the fuel gauge?? Hmm as I understood it, it's pretty much a given for a Kombis fuel gauge not to work?:rolleyes: BillHily's works until half then sits there, not that we trust the half anyways:confused:.....so they can be fixed
    Philllllll! :eek:

73kombi, Aspudis and Elsie 76 like this.
  4. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Triffic’ write ups folks. Thanks for the news of what the northern meet was like.
    We await the Easter of 22 !

oldman, Debstar and Ninga like this.
  5. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

What a trip, What a weekend!:eek: 2,030 ks round trip all done in the rain, ooops I tell a lie the last 160ks was sunny :)
    Leo & Trish were absolute champions as not only were they Bus Stop organizers they were also camp ground managers! :confused:
    A HUGE shout out to Melissa & Scott, Tammy & Adrian (we still had the real Babe!) Lorraine & Andy & Andrew & Nick for the tremendous amount of help setting up & pulling down our site. The wet weather badly effected Phil's breathing & without the fantastic assistance from our fellow Kombians, I reckon I'd still be trying to break down camp! o_O
    Sad that we all had to bail on Sunday morning, but at least we had a chance to see some faces we've not seen since Mallacoota if not longer.
    Things we have learned this trip from owning a Kombi? Carpet in a Camper is not a great idea when there is endless rain, the smell of wet carpet is horrendous & near on sent us insane on our way home, so yep it's coming out! :p
    Health is not good enough to set up & pull down a camp anymore, so fixing the pop top curtain & the R & R bed has now risen up the "to do" list so we both can sleep in the Kombi (I'll buy Phil a good set of ear plugs ;)) until then I be staying in a cabin/motel room & Phil can sleep in his Kombi :cool:
    Look forward to seeing you all at Dubbo Take 2 in '22. :D
    Travel safe & Kombi On :)
    Cheers :D

Mordred, 73kombi, Merry Merle and 6 others like this.
  6. KRKombi

KRKombi Member

The rain started to fall from the moment I left Western Sydney on Wednesday b4 Easter with Wayne Murray. Stayed at good friends place at Clunes NSW overnight (blues festival was cancelled, heard from the locals that Barnsey was drinking coffee with Chris Hemsworth on thursday morning at the cafe in Clunes- 100 metres from where I was staying and I did not not until too late- bugger that).

Drove to Maleny on Thursday and set up in the rain. Wayne and I thought we must have had COVID as we were directed to set up camp way over the other side of the Showground where no one else was and it felt it was about 50klms to walk to get to bathroom (bit exaggerated but when it’s raining,muddy, wet, long grass, it felt a long distance). a great night at the pub and met StuBus and wife and another couple that I have possibly forgotten there names- sorry.

Friday went to Montville with Nathan and Jaz and found an awesome jigsaw shop (bank balance dropped a wee bit there) then we went to the brewery and had a tasting plate and drank a few Stout’s. don’t like dark beers but the Stout was the bomb.. loved it and could easily drink a case of them.

Saturday the rain continued but the Cruise and photo shoot catch up was awesome, always a story at these catch ups and may heart goes out to Squidy (think that’s your name) and his birthday celebrations (That’s a real bugger that the tree fell on your beast but great to see no one was hurt). I cannot sit still so I wanted to see the ocean and I drove down the mountain from Montville (Hunchy Rd) thru Palmwwod (great steep and windey road which suited my Kombi) stopped at Big Pineapple and drove to Mooloolaba then onto Coolum (beautiful spots) Had a nice lunch and walk along beachfronts. Got back into the Beast and travelled the beautiful roads to Noosa. Every redneck tourist was there but I found a car spot and hit the foot falcon and checked out the beach and Hastings street.

drove back heading towards Eumundi to which the google maps took me up another mountain where the road was fairly hectic, condition of road was shite but it drove up and circled the mountain until it reached Montville. Great cruise in the Kombi (would have been even better to drive with other Kombis). Gala dinner food was fantastic. Congrats to all the winners and to all that dressed up. My fav was Kimmy. She had the facial features, body postures and speech down pact.

I woke up Sunday morning with literally a river of water running thru my tent. I could see many had already packed up and left so I made the call (I do not like to end holidays and even more unlikely end holidays early) to also pack and leave. Everything was wet and saturated. I Packed up everything wet in Betsy and headed back to friends (NthRivers NSW) Everything in the car was saturated but nothing I could do as the rain was relentless. On Sunday, went to leave friends at 7.30am, car would not go back or forward also the blinkers stayed on and were not blinking. Help from the brains trust Kombi Club and NRMA and tapped the wheel nut and brakes released (another trick learnt). Blinkers started working when sun came out later that day (bloody water and air cooled cars- hahahahaha] drove all the way to Western Sydney, got caught in traffic from Hawkesbury river as every Tom dick and Harry trying to get home from the long weekend (this was 6pm), eventually got h9me, through everything out of the car to start to dry out. Opened all windows and doors and put Betsy the Beast to bed to dry out, gave her a good night kiss as she just drove 2400klms - she is a bloody champion.

Anyways a big thank you to Trish and Leo for having the courage to organise another awesome Bus stop. Until we all meet again in Take 2 in Dubbo 2022. Love to you. Giddy Up.

7. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I can see now why many kc’ers pad out the bus stop event with a full on road trip. We only started from Brisbane but ended up breaking camp like everyone else on Sunday morning. Ran into Alpal and co in kenilworth then onto Gympie for an unplanned stay in b&b. A visit to the Gympie gold mining museum Monday then onto Tin Can Bay staying with friends for two nights. Then to Esk caravan park for three night. We checked out the Kilkivan bush camp and it looks like a good spot to park up. Stopped at Goomeri pub for lunch, great spot and Wednesday was $18 steak day. By the time we got to Esk the rain had well and truly cleared and warmed up enough for a swim.

A massive thank you to Leo and Trish for organising this event, we thoroughly enjoyed it!

8. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Don’t have much to say about Bus Stop other than a huge thank you to Leo and Trish on a job well done. Thanks for all that helped and have given their well wishes re crash. Just glad none of my family or friends were seriously hurt.

9. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Arrived home yesterday after a great 12 day round trip of 2,370kms for the 2021 Busstop from Newcastle to Maleny in Elsie; she didn’t miss a beat. Terrific job Leo & Trish we had a ball.
    We started at Heatherbrae meeting up with Aspudis (Nathan & Juzz) Juzz was our tour guide and MAP77 (Mark & Debbie) for our mini Komvoy of 3 to Maleny. First stop was Port Macquarie for lunch then overnight at South West Rocks where a fantastic night of burgers and drinks was had, some good stories and anecdotes of Kombi experiences. Day 2 was a short drive to Yamba for our next overnight stay. Dinner was had at Yamba Bowling Club, where a 300 gram schnitzel could be had for $12.00 the club was busy and beverages flowed freely. After some courage a 10 pin bowling challenge was suggested and accepted by all Komvoy members. Nathan won the challenge and is the current champion! :)
    The next day we set off for Maleny whilst listening for the QLD decision on COVID -19 restrictions. With news of the lockdown being lifted we decided Busstop 2021 was a goer and headed for Maleny. As we crossed the border the heavens opened and the rain stayed with us for the next 8 days. We arrived at Maleny and good friends Wayne Murray and Kylie were our neighbours in the Showgrounds with Nathan and Juzz. A break in the weather allowed us to erect our tent with Wayne and Nathan’s help between showers. Camp was now set up! :)
    Thursday night at the pub was great with a hearty meal and flowing beverages, the shuttle bus to and from the pub was brilliant and the ladies at the pub allowed us to stay there until we were ready to leave. Last bus please :p Friday was spent exploring Maleny, with some good coffee and chatting to locals. The Mexican food truck was excellent with friendly service and good tucker.
    Saturday was chilling and preparing for the cruise, trip to the lookout and Montville. Then the gala dinner in our Kimmy & Sharon outfits. Fantastic night of laughter and expression with worthy winners on the night! We have our little Oscar trophy in the “pool room”. ;) Great job Leo & Trish!!!
    On Sunday, like many others we decided to break camp and head for the sunny Gold Coast (not) and chill for a few days. Starting south, we setup in Port Macquarie for 1 night and the rain continued......... left Port and headed to Bonny Hills for two nights the first day was wet but then Friday was clear blue skies and sunshine. All of the wet weather was now a memory and we had a great time overlooking the beach, sea eagles and some great coffee and food. Nice not to rush home and reflect on a great time spent with the Kombi community.
    Leanne (Kimmy) said it was the best Busstop she has been to! :) Happy wife, happy life.
    Thanks to all. Especially you Juzz for organising our little Komvoy.
    Looking forward to Dubbo in 2022. :):)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Big thanks you to Leo and Trish for organising, with circumstances changing all the time.
    I left on Wednesday, with the meeting point at Brooklyn bridge with fellow KCer Kylie Rayner aka KRKombi. In which the rain arrived as I waited.
    Arrived at Maleny on Thursday around midday, again the rain came as we were putting up our tents. The covid risky NSW people where headed over the far side of the oval.
    Thursday Night at the pub was great idea and food was good as well, good to meet Stubus.
    Friday decided to walk in to town for a coffee with Craig and Leanne aka Elise 76
    Walked around campground meeting greeting people. Friday night Mexican was delicious ,never had Mexican, so went the safe option. Played cards with a great group of people stubus ,Trish, Joy Kombi Wolfsburg and a few other that I forgot (sorry)
    Saturday I was able to go on run as my Bus decided not to start! (never done this before) :( In between showers, I went through checking connections etc. In the end It started so went for a drive, everything seem to work well.
    Saturday night was great, I was going to dress up as Steve Irwin, did have other things on my mind. Customs where great and a lot of thought had been put into them.
    On Sunday the rain still was coming down and the forecast was for worse conditions, the decision was made to pack up and leave. Again the car decided not to start, and again checked a few things then it started.
    Drove to KC member Bern To drop parts off and pick them up, Other then three fuel stops, I drove all the way home 12hrs later arrived home at 11:20 pm ,wasn't game to stop the car to often.
    I've checked everything the next day and the car started how it normally does. I think moisture has been getting into the electrics causing my problems, as the run home the car did everything it is meant to do.
    Average was 25.53 Miles to the gallon
    or 9.21 Litres to 100km if I got my maths right.
    Thanks again everyone that went to the Bus stop 2021 as you all make it what it is, so great
    Catch up at the next one 2022.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Moisture in dissy cap is pretty common under circumstances.
    9.3 l/ 100 equals about 30 mpg. ( From memory.)

Nice to check out your van and sus the seals ;)

Wayne murray likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Different site use different formals.
    Back to drawing board work it out.

13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I just heard tonight from @Elsie 76 about your bean bag air bag @Squidy. Mighty 'kombi lucky' family:cool:.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Squidy and Debstar like this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Imperial gallon =4.5 litres. US Gallon = 3.785 litres.

Aus used Imperial gallons. Looks like you did the conversion on a site using US gallons. ;)

(25.53 mpg = 11.06 litres per 100km)

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi all,

Tam and I are still heading North, tonight at Yeppoon near Rockhampton, and still having a ball. Sad to leave Maleny in the wet after such an awesome trip from Newcastle with Melissa and Scotty (I’m old Greggg!) Caught up with John and Christine in Hervey Bay and Lorraine in Bundaberg which was fantastic, and so thankful of their hospitality.
    Staying at Yeppoon tonight before a trip out to Great Keppel Island tomorrow.
    Working our way up to Cairns for a few days then back to Townsville before saying goodbye to our beloved adopted Rocky and leaving him with his mum Kate before the flight home. Truly a once in a lifetime trip.

So grateful to everyone we have met and caught up with on this journey.
    Cheers

Adrian and Tammy

oldman, cbus, melissa and 3 others like this.
  16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

It was a pleasure travelling with you and Tammy, Adrian. Just wish they still did the boat from Sydney to Tassie to make it that much easier to get there!

Mordred likes this.
  17. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Sad day today, we finished the last of Melissa’s jerky. I don’t know how we will be able to go on....

Adrian

oldman and melissa like this.
  18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I am amazed you got it to last that long!!

19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Me too !
    Ours, ( mine ! ) , was finished ages ago........!
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. Wayne murray

You may have to put an order in stop at Newcastle on your way home to pick up;)