1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bus Stopping

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Royce, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Royce

Royce Active Member

Me and my family have made a decision not to attend Bus Stops while ever the decision on their location is not a communal one, regardless of reasoning and best intentions. Am I the only one who feels let down that we dont get to vote or at the very least have a say on our Bus Stop locations anymore?

And before anyone tries to justify the reasoning or the validity of this year's or indeed next year's events, that is not what I am after. I am also not interested in a public slanging match or personal broad sides. I feel that we as members (equal members in my eyes) are not included in a discussion. In my opinion, part of the ownership of this event by members lay in the collective discussion, consultation and decision making process that resulted in the first three fine, and may I say reasonable and fairly located events.

I am saddened and dismayed that what was once a communal decision is now not...And I am wondering if anyone feels the same.

2. car_freak_tim with kombi

car_freak_tim with kombi New Member

Even though I have not attended any of the Bus Stop events I do support your argument Royce. We (or you) are the people who go to these events and then discuss them and therefore should have some say in where the event should be held.

Maybe a poll or something should be put up to determine where next years event will be held? That way even the people who don't go to the event (or in my case can't) will be able to express our concern for those people who are able to go.

3. vinny

vinny Active Member

think about it, they aren't going to hold a bus stop where there are no members...
    its got to be somewhere, if it was held in for example QLD it is unfair for alot of members from say SA, VIC, and even NT and WA were some other members are located. Persnally i don't see a problem, there are always events happening in everyones immediate areas (well most anyway)

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

How have the venues been decided in the past? :rolleyes:

I'm quite happy with those volunteering all the time and effort to organise the actual event, having a majority deciding factor...

Once announced, it's then up to KC'ers to decide whether to attend or not.

5. greenbay

greenbay New Member

I'm with you on this one Grant,i think a lot of thought is put into the decision every year.I f you want to make the trip, be it long or short make it,If not stay home.As long as the event gives members a chance to attend every few years without having to travel too far i think that's fair.Those putting in the hours of their own time to organise these events should have more of a say than the lazy ones like myself who just show up when they feel like it.
    Anyway that's my thoughts,be they right or wrong.
    Jay

6. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

I tend to agree with the notion that it's an event organised by some people, announced, then other people come or they don't.

But it doesn't have to be one or the other, does it? If members like Royce are feeling like they have some ideas, then maybe it would benefit us all if there was a process for him to give his inputs. The event, in my opinion, could be all the better for it - without going the whole hog towards some kind of voting system or something like that.

I will for sure be again planning my leave around Bateman's bay next year, and will do my best not to lose my passport. But I do think there is perhaps something to be gained by letting people who have a particular view share that view - but I appreciate it's finally a matter for the organisers.

7. vinny

vinny Active Member

part of the fun is the road trip getting there, the longer the better!:)

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Trying to get central location to please everyone has proven difficult and I agree with Royce that the decision seems to be made at the current event and then announced but I may be wrong.

Some wish to attend and others for their own reasons do not whether it be for location, distance or personal reasons.

Suggestions and polls have been tried but it's always the same minority of members who are suggesting or voting to decide.

Has even beeen suggested that each state holds it's own Bus Stop but that fell flat.

9. car_freak_tim with kombi

car_freak_tim with kombi New Member

Not always. A couple of years ago I drove from somerville (mornington peninsula, victoria) to my uncles place in queensland that was about 5mins away from wet n' wild and movie world. as much as the trip was worth while the trip itself was rrreeeaaalllyyy long.

10. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I think that the decisions made by those who do are as fair as you can be to the vast majority, you can't please everyone all the time so it's pointless trying!

11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

We have tried the polls - we tried writing down names of places on beer coasters, tossing them in a hat and drawing out 5 places and voting on them - the problems that arise is that those places on the poll are not where everyone agrees on so the polls end up discussing other places that are not in the poll :rolleyes: We then run out of time to find a park that will take us all at their busiest time (apart from Christmas).

If someone else wants to do the organising, then go for it, I will step back.

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Actually, the geographical decision for 2011, being very similar distance from SE Qld, Tas & Adelaide, seemed to be quite logical in allowing the majority of KC'ers the chance to attend a Bus Stop.

We accept that Kombifest is at Old bar each year, the Nationals are in Sydney, and the bi annual Valla experience is at Nambucca Heads every time.

I like the "moving target" of the Bus Stop, as it's ever evolving...:)

13. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Amen, keeps it interesting.

14. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

There are obviously criteria which need to be considered and applied. One of the basic ones is finding a venue that is able to host such a large group, over Easter, and is happy to be take such a large booking.

Another is a location that is reasonably central to most members (well the active ones anyway), that has facilities, attractions, and infrastructure needed.

So there's two criteria out of probably 10. I am yet to get to a Bus Stop, mainly because there is a large stretch of water between here and there, but I will one day. I won't particularly care about the location, just the company.

Melissa does an amazing job organising the event. I'm sure Melissa would make each Bus Stop in Newcastle if she could, but she does her best in selecting somewhere that ticks most of the boxes for most of the participants.

15. melissa

Nah - thats not fair.

16. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Whatever is posted and regardless of what viewpoint some may have the Bus Stop is an event that should be encouraged rather than have questions raised as to where it could be, or should be held. Decisions are made with good reasoning but unfortuately will not please everyone.

So many factors lead to the organisation of an event such as the Bus Stop but there will always be reasons why more members can't attend. Such is life

One is the sheer tyranny of distance. This is going to raise its head for many people no matter what location is selected. Closest one to us was Bonny Hills 671 km one way but circumstances stopped us from attending. One way distances Canberra was 1322 km; Eden 1209km; and Mt Gambier was 2096km. Bateman's Bay is 1317 km. Some might suggest some smaller alternative events like some members organised instead of going to the Bus Stop. Might be something to encourage.

Another factor is the taking of leave from work at Easter. Works out OK for some but impossible for others. When you see the itinerary for the convoy down from Qld to Mt Gambier you would have to have two weeks holiday for a 4 day stay.

Lets face it some KC members are unlikely to get to a Bus Stop for various reasons. From a Qld perspective some may go to Nimbin in May, Nationals in Sydney in May or Valla every second year in July/August, Sawtell in August or Old Bar or Warwick September/October or insert a similar event suited to your location instead of these.

It's something we all have to live with so let's encourage the drive and motivation of others who take the time to organise events like these. Encourage rather than discourage

If someone can't make it to a Bus Stop why not organise a an event for similar minded people in a location more acessible to your local KC members?

May be small but you have a lot of laughs and share some great moments.

You don't have to have hundreds of people to have a good time. It's all about the company.

Keep up the good work Melissa and all the other people who help organise events , camping weekends, shows, BBQ's or Cruises etc ......... These are the reasons why we like to catch up with fellow-minded kombi enthusiasts ....... to have a good time in an iconic vehicle.

Cheers everyone

Brett

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  17. melissa

Does everyone realise how much work it takes to orgainise this thing. It has to start straight away the day we got home Melissa was on the phone to potential places we can stay. The vote was tried before and didn't work. The time you spend stuffing around voting on where to go it will be time for the next one. Thats it for her then. She will do this one and then someone else can take it over, thanks for your time, Scott.

18. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Check the distances from each city you will find it's the obvious choice

Dave

19. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

You can all blame ME

I was the one who pushed for the central location.......SORRY....... I just thought it would give everyone a chance to get to next years......obviously a bloody silly idea :umm:

20. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

I do understand where you are coming from and it does sadden me to think that you (and possibly others) would boycott these events purely for this reason.

For me having just been to my first bus stop and with every intention of making the next one I had never even given this a thought. I had just taken it as a given that someone had to decide on a location.

I think with this forum having so many numbers now, it would make it a nightmare to communally decide and debate and the end result might even have MORE people getting upset.

I like the location of next years event, it makes sense and I hope we see some big numbers.

I also like that the only decision for me and my family has been "who wants to go" and I really appreciate the time, effort and expense people put into not only the event but the whole forum.

Please change your mind and come to the next one :cry:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010