1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a 21/23 window samba. Any out there?????

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by a11djr, Jan 21, 2009.

1. a11djr

a11djr New Member

Im moving to Melbourne, Oz in the next 6 months and looking for a samba. I've sourced one here in the UK but shipping costs and GST etc etc means its a costly excersise. I have 2 other water cooled VDubs which I will poss bring over but does anyone know if I could find one here In Australia?
    I have been told there like rocking horse poop.:lol:

2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

The prices are a lot cheaper in the UK at the moment, also there arnt any good ones around.
    I know someone who has been seriously looking for one for a few years and he had money burning a hole in his pocket.
    He was told quite a few were really good by their owners or people on certain forums , he has spent thousands on flights all over the country looking at supposedly " really good" ones,,,,,,, they were not.

Dave

3. a11djr

a11djr New Member

Ok
    Here what your saying.
    thats a downer over here for a top notch samba your looking at $60,000 AUD then shipping then taxes
    A dear do to say the least.:umm:

4. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

As Dave says, watch out.
    I have seen a 23 that was sold here, as a restored samba from Japan, fetched good money. i think Dave warned people about it too, it needed another resto, slight rust HA!!!!
    there are other infamous sambas that the same story applies !!!
    $60K wont buy you a lot, if you find one

5. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

found one 500metres from my place !! too easy !!!

6. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

Where sold as Alpines here...not Sambas

7. a11djr

a11djr New Member

The one im negotiating on is £30k GBP but fully restored to a fanatical standard. In this current climate is this still a good price? It could cost me another $10000 AUD shipping GST and LCT!!:eek:

8. Damo

Damo New Member

Was that Colin,Dave? He came up to look at mine when I had it for sale.Wasn't what he was looking for though.I thought he may have been a little fussy at the time but anyone spending that amount of coin has a right to be.Seems cheap compared to what it has sold for recently.I couldn't justify having that amount of money tied up in a kombi I rarely got to drive. a11djr, be as fussy as you can and buy the best you can afford! I am sure KC members will help in any way possible.
    Cheers
    Damo

9. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

As I mentioned before there have been a few sold in the last couple of years, the ones that have been for sale were supposed to have been restored to a good standard, they were not, as Roy mentioned a few would have needed a FULL resto, infact one is just having a resto now,when it was sandblasted the metal dissapeared between the windows and the skylights as it wasnt metal it was all bog.

Put it this way I would not have bought any that have been for sale in the last 2 years.
    Another ex UK split owner came round tonight and we talked about this, he agreed with me, the majority of the resto's here are not a patch on the ones in the UK.
    If it was me and I knew who did the resto on the one in the UK and could see it and knew that the person had a good reputation I would grab it.
    There are people who have done resto's here and they would need doing again , there has been one deluxe that has been sold twice in less than 12 months, maybe because the roof is so full of bog the skylights had to be made out of plexiglass as the originals wouldnt fit, the safaris had gaps of over and inch as the whole front was twisted, that was supposed to have been restored by an " expert"

The above is just my opinion, just be carefull we have quite a few " dealers" over here and beware who you get to check one out.
    I know one deluxe that was for sale and when the buyer went to look at it there was a so called expert waiting with the van, the van was full of bog, the "expert " was infact the person who did the resto??

Dave

10. a11djr

a11djr New Member

Seems like a mine field over there:umm:
    I think I might bite the bullet and strike a deal over here. Its trying to justify nearly $100k in three V dubs when I will be needing a house. Suppose I could live in the bus:lol: :lol:

The bus is owned by a well known guy calld Brian Burrows he has a collection of air cooled dubs and he used to drag race. white over Midnight blue running a 2.1 motor (sub 14 second quater mile) 15" Porsche fuch's with sliding door (again quite rare in the UK) full leather retrim in navy opening safari's all round , the list goes on....:heart:

11. a11djr

a11djr New Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. big dave

big dave Member

If you can afford it buy it. If you don't then I doubt you will ever get a samba!

13. Damo

Damo New Member

Very nice.Seen that one a few times!!

14. a11djr

a11djr New Member

Its awesome in the flesh. :eek: Not a blemish on her.
    Think I need a come to jesus meeting with the misses.

15. Damo

Damo New Member

Mate,snap it up,you won't get anything of that quality in OZ.
    Cheers
    Damo

16. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

As Damo said I doubt you would get that quality of work over here.
    But then again, heres me being cynical again, we only know the van from the magazine feature, it would be best to have an independant person( not the same one who did the resto) to go over the van first, I am not questioning Brians restos as he spend s a hell of a lot of money on them,but he pays other people to do the work and you have to know it was done right( wish I could afford to get mine done by someone else) but if I was spending that much I would want conformation that the work had been done to a good standard.

Sorry if I sound negative but I have seen some so called restos , one springs to mind, it had won a show, sold to a pregnant woman , had only one slave cylinder working( other 5 siezed) and when she took it to a vw place to get the brakes fixed they wouldnt let her drive away in it as the sills were full of paper.
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  17. a11djr

a11djr New Member

Jesus H C !!!!! :eek:
    That sounds unreal, surely it isn't that bad. But Yeah I know all the pit falls out there ,believe me it is as bad over here. people are so unrealistic about the true cost of a resto then get in so deep they reckon (moneys ran out, time to bondo/botch it)
    But Brian doesn't do average he's a top guy and all his cars really are top notch.
    Going off the responce of this thread it is almost certain that I will have to get one over here for deffo.

18. Cai

Cai New Member

Looks like an amazing bus i doubt you would find anything like that in Aus without years of patient looking!

19. a11djr

a11djr New Member

The more I get all these positive comments the more I feel there will be only one outcome!!:wtf:

20. winerot

winerot Active Member

you just have to know the right person who loves what he does .
    the first belongs to michael of sydney
    the second belongs to shane of sydney
    the third belongs to michael of brisbane
    the fourth belongs to me of here heh heh

Attached Files: