1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a vehicle that's on Historic plates. What to do re rego transfer??

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by OSF, Jun 10, 2018.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

How easy and/or what is the process for transferring a car off Historic Registration (in NSW), after you have just purchased it?

Here's my dilemma.
    I'm looking at a vehicle I'm potentially interested in. It's currently registered on Historic plates however, which I understand aren't transferable.

If I buy it, what happens with the plates and how do I transfer the rego and organise insurance (comprehensive).

I.e. Does the PO immediately have to take the plates off and if so, then how do I change the rego so I can drive home?

OR, do the plates just stay on and I then take them off when I get home and hand them over to Service NSW.

And what's the deal with insurance? I.e. How do I insure it without knowing what will be it's new plates, when I don't have them yet? I.e. Even if the historical plates just stay on till I transfer the rego how do I actually insure it during this time, assuming I don't actually have the new rego yet?

The drive home could be a way and I don't really want to be unregistered or uninsured for it.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I just don't know the process.

Any help?

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

From my understanding - it is just like buying an unregistered vehicle - you could go to Service NSW and get a permit to drive it home as unregistered and you could get cover from Shannons or whoever for the trip home - you only need VIN number and description - they will insure it without plates - or you could hire a trailer and bring it home that way. I suspect the plates are retained by the current owner and handed back to Service NSW - the plates are linked to the club that the current owner is a member of.

David H and Grantus like this.
  3. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

OSF that OCD is bubbling to the surface again!

OSF and David H like this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’m curious too, as to what the new addition to the fold will be......:rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  5. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

No new additions yet. Just working through possibilities and dreaming at the moment.

I have however been looking for a Type 3 Squareback for some time and there are a few possible options around at the moment. I want something that's driveable and registered, that doesn't need too much spent on it to keep it going and on the road for now. Ideally something I can play with/fix up a bit/personalise now, but with the view to potentially doing a resto (hopefully not as full on as the DC) down the track.

I also really quite like the Type 411's or 412's as well. You don't see many of them around at all and they are kinda ugly, but kinda cool in their ugliness. They are also a bit bigger than the Type 3's, which would be good. There was a red 411 variant at the Nationals that was really nice. Unfortunately it was automatic though.

onetrackwonder and David H like this.
  6. Grantus

Ooh..... you got the VW infection something bad!

Easy resto? Not for someone like you........you know it will be full-on absolute detail (& cost and time) resto, coz you won’t accept anything less. ;)

David H likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

You looking to be divorced Euan?
    Cheers

8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm .... perhaps! There is no way I'm going to admit this now though. Because if I do it will never happen.

Mmmmmm .... So here's the thing. Do I get the car now in which case Jo may actually divorce me and she'll probably take the car with her, OR do I not buy the car and live happily ever after with my wife, but regret not buying the car?

It's kinda a lose lose either way, so I might as well take the gamble and see if I can turn it into a win. Better to regret something I did, rather than something I didn't do.

Hopefully buy the car AND live happily ever after.

Jo would look pretty cool scooting about in a Squareback and I'm pretty sure she thinks this as well. Whilst I do admit the DC resto has caused a few "issues", I'm pretty sure Jo would be pretty happy if it had a little sister Squareback that was hers to drive around in. Jo actually has a cleaning business she does a few days a week and a Squareback would be ideal as the poster girl for this (I'm thinking old mop/bucket etc tied to the roof racks // sign writing on the door etc).

Then again, maybe I'll loose everything but what the heck .... better to regret something I did, rather than something I didn't do.

Wayne murray likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Love the ethos OSF. No point living life wondering! Good that you see there needs to be something in the 'transaction' for Jo as well. Nice 'sell':p. Buy, get her addicted to it & then do resto later .:cool:
    Cheers

10. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yep. Working on my long game.

P.S. Jo gets heaps. Don't worry about her.

David H likes this.
  11. Grantus

Just get the DC finished........have some family day cruises, and see the “smiles per mile”, the waves and the general appreciation of the efforts first.

Then look at the next project, with what should be mutual agreement, after the fun and joy the first resto proves to bring. ;)

12. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

I was never good at doing things the easy way.

13. Grantus

My wife chose our Kombi 30 years ago, as the workhorse, but could I now move her into a classic non aircon manual vehicle, without heated seats as her car?

No chance.......

OSF and oldman like this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Euan, when I bought the Type3 in Nowra the owner had it on "historic plates" which are non transferable so we went to the RMS office and he handed back the plates (even asked for refund - declined as concessional rego does not warrant a refund), I applied for and got a permit to drive $25.00 + $2.00 CTP ..... they were strict on for how long so you need to explain to them where it has to be taken to ...... take into account it's a vintage car and you need allowance for possible breakdown and delay en route + have mechanic booked for RWC etc as they'll include the period of a reasonable nature (their discretion as to length of PtD) - they wanted to give me 2 days to get it from Nowra to Brisbane - this was @ 3.00pm on a Thursday , but managed 5 calender days as weekend period and possible breakdown and repair shop would be closed. Think they expect it to be RWC'd within a certain time frame if remaining within NSW.

15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Ok cool, thanks. This helps.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully things haven't changed with RMS too much since 2016 ;)

17. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I was working on the same theory for Rachael and buying her a Beetle but I don’t fit!

OSF likes this.
  18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Going for a SC instead:p

OSF and Poptop like this.
  19. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hmmm exactly!

20. Borgey

Borgey Well-Known Member

Believe you’ll then have to get a blue slip to put it on full rego mate.