Buying kombi interstate

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by elouise, Jul 10, 2015.

1. elouise

elouise Active Member

just wondering how many have bought their Kombi interstate ? Is it difficult ? Especially regarding paperwork ! Are you able to just scan and email paperwork or does it need to be originals for it to be legal ect . Any issues people have come up against doing interstate like rego and compliance issues ? Looking at having a kombi with a rock and roll bed so would that cause issues regarding compliance stuff ? Thanks in advance for any advice .

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

It's very easy to buy a kombi interstate….
    You go there, pay the owner the money, fill out the paperwork & it's yours. Simple.
    Then the fun begins…….sometimes easy, sometimes a nightmare…….
    I bought an unregistered bus from SA, flat-bedded back & did all the work on it to get it Blue-slipped (I'm in NSW).
    I found it an easy, uncomplicated process, however this was for a windowed kombi, (Transporter), & not a Camper….(that's a whole different kettle of fish……)
    It will be as hard as the people you deal with, make it.
    Ask around for "kombi - friendly" inspection stations etc. in your area….it'll make a world of difference.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Poptop likes this.
  3. elouise

elouise Active Member

Do people tend to hold a kombi till you can get down there on a weekend though ? Just worried that you get someone to look at it first, they say it's worth it, you fly down there and then the seller has already sold it to someone else. Good ones seem to go very fast.

What exactly is a kombi friendly inspection station ?

4. lakepipes

lakepipes Member

I got mine from Tasmania, sight unseen except for the photos i was given... I had it come over unaccompanied on the Toll freight transport boat and picked it up from the docks in Melbourne. The add said roadworthy in tas and would pass vic no problems ..... $3800 later do fix all the crap that needed fixing and she was good to go.
    First thing is trust no-one, second is get someone to look at it for you if you can't. Ultimately its a kombi and we all know there is a chance it will have more to do than you think or are told.
    Paperwork.... as long as you have the transfer papers filled out and signed, a roadworthy and its not stolen then you should be A-ok and have no problems.

Mike

5. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Ask around and people will tell you who is friendlier due to them having already been through the process.
    Like buying anything you just have to be ready, yes harder when buying interstate.
    Your Kombi will come, just have faith and there are plenty of people on here willing to help.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I bought a Kombi from a KC member, sight unseen, and from photos and conversations only, from Tasmania.

Paid for the Ferry ticket, and a return flight, for the owner to deliver, but I trusted what was coming, was as described, after many questions.

I sold the bus a few years later, the same way, to another KC member, and drove it to Melbourne airport, to meet the incoming buyers.

But I was comfortable to be able to ask all the right questions when buying, and also happy to answer any questions honestly, when selling.

However, all being long term KC members, did make it a lot easier. :)

David H likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have bought beetles interstate no problems.
    Kombis would be no different - if they are a tin top.

Pop tops are modified vehicles and are open to re-engineering requirements

8. jimbi

jimbi Member

Do people tend to hold a kombi till you can get down there on a weekend though ? Just worried that you get someone to look at it first, they say it's worth it, you fly down there and then the seller has already sold it to someone else. Good ones seem to go very fast.

When I was looking for a kombi, and if something came up I was interested in, I offered some money to hold till I got there and be given first option ..........need to ensure the "hold" time isn't too long .................the couple of times I've done it, the seller was surprised when I said no to buying and then gave them the holding money (mind you they were only a couple of hours drive away......not interstate (I'd offer more bigger amount if it was further away - to be fair to us both) just my way of doing things, not everyone would agree

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm in Qld and have bought 4 VW's from interstate - T3 1989 Caravelle from Melbourne, Golf VR6 (a bad decision from Melbourne), 1973 Bay (aka Igor) from Orange NSW and a 1990 T3 SC from Bowral NSW - asked the questions and with Igor got a NRMA pre purchase inspection done and in reality the only not required to have such done. Transferring to Qld rego simple enough as to have receipt and rego paperwork from previous owner, get RWC done and a TMR registration form or a transfer of ownership (F3520) and the money to pay :eek:

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

As a warning to all you on the mainland, rego inspections in Tassie for vehicles are only needed when you go to reregister them, or want to change from or to Special Interest rego. a lot of cars registered when new havent been inspected from that time unlike some states where after a certain age they need yearly inspections. As a result the person selling, or a local inspector, can look over it and say from his point of view it is roadworthy, but inspectors in other states (or in Tassie) might have a different opinion, especially when it comes to poptops and rock and roll beds.

Also remember that no 2 inspectors seem to be the same. For example, a friend of mine with a Datsun 1600 rally car with full cage and engineered mods failed an inspection for road rego (rally cars need to road registered to compete in most events) because he didn't have the original style seat belts mounted in the car. The 5 point harnesses on fully engineered mounts were fine but he must have the original seatbelts mounted in the car as well. He went else where and passed first time.

Be warned regarding Tassie Special Interest rego, it is not transferable to anyone else, even in Tassie. You will need a rego inspection whether you want to change it to normal rego or keep it as SI.

Adrian

Jethro, elouise and lakepipes like this.
  11. Jason Smith

Jason Smith New Member

hi guys and gals
    I am looking at a Kombi in NSW that isnt registered currently. I am in QLD.
    Question 1 Can a QLD roadworthy be done in NSW at all?
    Question 2 Does a NSW roadworthy mean anything in QLD?
    Question 3 Am i better for him to register in NSW and fo name transfer until i can get a roadworthy inQLD etc?

Hope someone can shed some light.
    Jase

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Interstate road worthies are not recognised so waste of time.
    But you should get a sound pre purchase inspection.
    A roadworthy in another state would give about less than half info needed for a purchase , ie some mechanical and electrical items checked. But gives some indication of condition.

ALLWAYS assume that the reason for a vehicle being sold without rego or roadworthy is that it WONT pass
    Price accordingly.

The advantage of having a r.w and being rego in another state is that its driveable wherever you need to go for repairs and r.w / rego in Qld

13. Jason Smith

Jason Smith New Member

he has advised he will get a NSWroadworthy and rego if needed, obviously i will pay for this.

14. Grantus

Further to Cbus’ comments:

If it’s got non standard bits, like a camper roof or more seats than when it was made, it will also need an engineers certificate in the new state of registration, even it was certified already in another state.

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It is sellers responsibility to provide both.

Can depend on negotiated price.

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

You will still need to get a roadworthy done in QLD to register it.
    If he is willing to get the NSW roadworthy, that at least shows he has confidence in the vehicle.

Grantus likes this.
  17. Grantus

Buying it with rego, will also make it easier to drive home.

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree with both above.
    If you do agree to paying rego and r.w fees , ensure seller is paying for any and all other costs ie repairs.

Legally you have to change rego within 2 weeks from memory.
    ( usualy get some grace).
    NSW rego will be refunded to registered owner ( seller) with deductions.

19. Grantus

Seller, or buyer (current owner when it’s signed over after purchase)?

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

To the person who's name was as registered owner when money paid.
    ie in this case NSW owner. The seller.
    Pretty sure that holds for most.