Buying kombi interstate

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by elouise, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Last registered vehicle I bought from interstate, came with the remaining rego.

Once transferred into my name when registered locally, allowed me to claim back the unused interstate rego and 3rd party insurance, (less the one off non refundable fees),

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Worth checking then ;)

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

If it is due for NSW rego or currently unregistered, your best option would be to get the owner to do the roadworthy (blue slip or pink slip) but not register it in NSW - you can get an unregistered vehicle permit very cheaply and drive it back to QLD then you get a roadworthy certificate and do the rego in QLD yourself.

old grey likes this.
  4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Sorry - I have not read all the comments fully if that was covered.

Get the chassis number and engine number. Go to QLD transport and also a QLD Police office and get them to run both numbers though the system. That way you know you won't try and register a stolen vehicle. I don't think the police are supposed to do it, but they always have because they know you are trying to do the right thing early.

Then I think wait and view yourself. If the seller is decent they will hold the bus so long are you are willing to get down asap. I got mine from Newcastle from one of the guys who now owns Indian Automotive. When I spoke with him we agreed a price. Turns out he was offered 5k more after I bought flights but he honored the deal. Great bloke.

If the seller does not want to hold it maybe there are issues they are worried about. If you have a price and buy flights, there is little chance you won't buy unless there is something wrong after all.

Take a friend who is mechanically minded, then drive ti back together. Thats what I did. Paid for their flights, and went to super cheap as soon as we left and got some basic tools for the drive home.

5. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi Mark, I can see this is an older post but do you (or any one else) have the names of any "kombi friendly" blue slip providers in Sydney? I am about to bring a 76 sopru camper up from Tas and go through the process.... wish me luck!

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Geoff, good luck with it all.......
    I used KJ Motors in Mona Vale.
    I haven't dealt with them for some years now & can't really say how you'd go with them now.....
    When I blue-slipped the lowlight, KJ's did the inspection, charged me for it & then gave me a list of things that had to be rectified before they'd blue-slip it.
    They were fair back then & didn't make any crazy claims of what needed to be done. Focus was on the brakes/steering/rust/electrics rather than the odd dent here & there or the condition of paint etc.....

You could give them a call & see how you go....
    https://www.whitepages.com.au/k-j-motors-11001270/mona-vale-nsw-11001275B

Cheers,
    Mark

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

oldman likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You can try Lou at Regents Park
    He can be a bugger to get hold of though
    O425 339 723

9. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Thanks for those guys I'll be making contact tomorrow, I have asked Andrew Dodd at nth rocks, he doesn't do bluey's and the guy he used to recommend isn't around any more. I am however taking the bus straight to Andrew when she gets home!!
    Cheers
    Geoff

David H likes this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So when's that planned for Geoff?o_O
    Cheers

11. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Hi Dave, Hopefully flying down this coming weekend, home by Tuesday, she's with my mechanic now, (recommended by Adrian). The owner has achieved Tas rego and my mechanic is doing several pre trip items, replacing all fuel lines, rear right wheel bearing, points, carby's, two new tyres, all brake pads, all fluids and belts + anything else he thinks. I'll check Monday, if he thinks he can get it done by the end of the week I'll be booking flights!! Otherwise it'll be the following weekend!! Getting exciting now!!

David H likes this.
  12. oldman

Nice !
    Adrian is the go-to in Tas. well done.
    Enjoy the ride home.....:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred and Jethro like this.
  13. Grantus

ROAD TRIP! :)

And what better one to do, than to bring the new purchase home! :cool:

The T3 I bought from Tas, I didn’t have the time to do the trip, but the seller offered to deliver if I paid for the ferry and fuel costs, with a return flight...which I did.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  14. oldman

I’d be cruisin' Tassie for a few weeks.....and then do the trip home......it is sooo beautiful & so much to see....good excuse for a holiday, if time permits.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

melissa likes this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmmmm...............Sullivan's Cove!!!

16. oldman

....and Bruny Hotel,Wine n Cheese Co.,Whitesands Estate,the wild trout fisheries....oh, I want to go back!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred, Barry and melissa like this.
  17. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

We'll have 2 days to get from Hobart to Devonport, boat overnight, then 2 days from Melb to Sydney, enough time to take it easy, and allow for any mishaps....... but that won't happen right?

Mordred likes this.
  18. Grantus

Absolutely.! :)

Keep in contact during the journey. Plenty of KC help here, and even along the way, should you need advice, or assistance. ;)

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If you time it right;

DOTVW Yarra Glen 19th
    Kiama Show 25th
    Boris' Picnic Day 26th

Jethro and oldman like this.
  20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

BTW Andrew Dodd may be at some of these shows. You could ask him about blue slips.

Jethro likes this.