1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying working T3

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Citrus Poisoning, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Citrus Poisoning

Citrus Poisoning New Member

Hey guys.

I've been thinking about buying a t3 for several years, but have never really decided on what I want. Do I want a car in good condition, that I can treasure and drive on weekends? Do I want a camper that I can travel the country with? Do I want a project?

Well, Good news! I've decided roughly what I want, and what I want to do with it. I'm looking for a car that has a reasonably well sorted drivetrain and other running gear, but may have some other problem that needs a bit of time and money put in. This would mean I can drive it regularly, while still working on it.

A case in point is an 89 on Gumtree right now that has been painted in an, ahem, 'interesting' manner.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmore/cars-vans-utes/kombi-automatic-reco-engine/1218287338

Each to his own I guess, but for me, this would require at the very least a closed door respray, plus some trim pieces being resprayed/coated or possibly even replaced.

A couple of questions:

- Would this van need to be stripped to be properly resprayed? Or can it be primed and sprayed over the top?
    - what is a closed door respray on this large a car worth? I'm guessing in the 4-5k vicinity?
    - has anyone checked this car out? If so what is it like? Is it basically solid? Are they genuine low kms?

I know that buying something like this may end up costing as much as a well looked after t3 to get right, but I want to build something to my own specs, and this or something similar could be a good start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Cal

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Interesting paint job on it :confused: - expect from rattle cans :eek: ..... so I'd expect it would need a strip :rolleyes:

Citrus Poisoning likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Paint.
    Depends on what was used for the artwork.
    If a wrap it peels off with heatgun.
    Likely aerosol enamel which will wash off with a mild stripper or GP thinners, oven cleaner.
    Same for acrylic lacquer .
    Water based paint.... Try oven cleaner.
    Won't hurt factory paint but might affect any repairs , again dependent on paint type.

If body is sound and factory paint in sound condition . Anything from 4k to 12k.

Sounds worth checking out.

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Cal 186k klms is low if it is genuine. Many have had dash pods replaced due to failure, perhaps klms can be confirmed by service history. Sometime people do that sort of paint job to cover poorly fixed rust so an inspection is a must. As an example the yellow van I have as my avatar was a 3k purchase then engine rebuild, suspension replaced, power steering added, Recaro interior (engineer approved), custom dash, full camping solution, body kit & respray, closed door but everything removed including all windows, new rubbers all around S/S exhaust, new cooling system front to back with S/S upgrades etc etc lost count of how many $$$. I will be selling this one shortly to do it all over again on a TRAKKA High Top so perhaps something that has had it ALL done would be an alternative and enjoy from day 1.

5. Citrus Poisoning

Cheers, yeah it's definitely paint, and probably a spray can job. You can see where he has oversprayed onto the bullbar/lights etc.

Yeah, I thought that would be the case, that you can spend really as much as you like doing a paint job. Thanks for info.

Thanks for info Phil. I'm not actually opposed to buying a van that is in very good condition, and is ready to use, just don't want to get a mint condition caravelle or similar and feel like I can't touch it because it's 'collectable'. I want something I can actually use and modify, do things to if I want to.

Be sure to let me know when you're ready to put yours on the market, I would be interested.

This one currently on Gumtree I feel probably isn't worth what they are asking, unless the drivetrain is in really good condition. It's going to be a lot of work to undo that paint job lol.
    Will be checking into it though.

Cheers

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Do you have a preference for manual or auto?

Auto is fairly common and a good drive.
    That is what I have.

The power steer is a good option as well.
    They are heavier to steer than bays.

7. Citrus Poisoning

Yeah Auto, unless a really good manual comes up for sale. I get the impression from my research that the auto is a pretty tough unit, and for what I want to do with it, I feel like a manual will just annoy me.

Yep agree on the power steering. Mum and Dad had a non-powersteering model back in the day, and mum ended up with 2 slipped discs in her neck - not a good sign!

I also realised the van I linked is a 91, rather than an 89, Sorry everyone for the mistake!

8. stuart jones

stuart jones New Member

Did you end up buying one?

9. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Should try an air cooled '82. Lighter than a bay and any later T3 for that matter.

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ........ I had a Seth Efricun 82 for a couple of years

Wouldn’t have called the steering on that light

David H likes this.
  11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Armstrong power steering;).
    Cheers

12. Maccas

Maccas Member

David H likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And possibly more reliable than the earlier ones.........:rolleyes:

16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Haha. Never a truer word spoken in my case.