1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzer of Doom?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Kevinthesyncro, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem with my 2.1 MV engine, the buzzer comes on now and again and I cant find the problem, been through the usual and everything as normal. New oil, new filter, a friend of mine says could be high pressure????

Any ideas people?

Cheers Kev

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Check the 2 oil pressure sensors and the attached wiring.

3. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The buzzer is meant to indicate low pressure, not high. At the end of the day the buzzer is looking for a signal to confirm there is oil pressure or the buzzer goes off.
    First check would be confirm you have good oil pressure, especially once up to temperature. If that checks out, then the issue will be in the pressure switch or wiring. Pressure switches are a pain to get to on a T3, but to check your wiring you can ground the wire that goes to the switch to confirm the wiring is OK. (don't forget there are two switches on a T3)
    If it's intermittent, it's always hard to find. Old hardening wiring can split and cause an open circuit. There's also the wiring film inside that dash that can fail.

Unfortunately a lot of things to check through!
    Richard

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The friend meant the high pressure switch.

There are two pressure switches. The low pressure which operates at all times which goes closed when the pressure is too low and the high pressure switch which only operates over 2000 rpm and goes open when the pressure is low and operates the buzzer.

Check the connections on the high pressure switch first.

5. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks Syncro, my friend actually did mean high oil pressure, what's the normal high pressure psi? And can high pressure sound the buzzer???

Thanks everyone

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

No. It only operates when the pressure is low over 2000rpm.

7. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks but can anyone tell me what an acceptable high oil psi is????

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why?

It doesn't happen.

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

You may have issues with your oil pump failing?

Grantus likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Rare there is an actual pressure problem, and usually a failed sensor as these buses get older.......

But worth checking any symptoms, (which you appear to have done), to ensure it’s not warning you of a bigger problem.

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I used to work with a young bloke that bought a late model (at the time) commodore wagon and his oil light came on about 50kms after purchase. He rang the previous Owner and said everything was checked by a "mechanic" before purchase. My workmate checked the oil levels and it was fine.

His next trip was with a pile of mates down the F3 to Sydney and you guessed it - the engine seized just before the end of the freeway. A total write off for a heap of crap commodore. He had to tow it home and get a reco engine from a wrecker. It went worse than the one with the dud oil pump.

Two lessons here - dont buy a commodore from a dodgy bloke and dont ignore that oil light!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Grantus likes this.
  12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

...........and dont ignore that oil light!
    There are a couple of members here that should have remembered this advice.....!
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. 90rusty

90rusty Active Member

my oil light came on after driving down the F3 to sydney it started to flash when i got to the end and the car was idling but went off when revs where at 1>2rpm
    then went off then never came back on while in sydney
    on the trip home No light or buzz on the F3 but when i got to the exit at ourimbah and slowed down it came on then went off again and hasn't come back on i can't think of a reason why this happened checked oil level and is good .

14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Exactly same happened to me in my white caravelle. It was the pressure sensor near the pulley, high pressure I believe, replaced it problem solved.

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  15. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks guys
    I would still like to know what the high pressure psi should be, I looked on the samba and read 60,70,80psi at 3000 rpm, these guys have pressure gauges fitted. I keep thinking about my aircooled days and high oil pressure being scary????

16. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

OK, I teed a pressure gauge in to the system and am getting a reading of 58psi, is this healthy????
    Thanks everyone.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Is that when cold?

Check your pressure relief valve isn't sticking. What oil filter are you using?

18. t3 Ed

t3 Ed Member

Hey Kevin, sounds about right for cold idle. Mines at about 70 psi at idle when cold. You got to worry about hot oil pressure. Generally should be about 10 PSI per thousand rpm. Sometimes when under extreme load and hot weather it will drop, but should come back under normal cruising & temperature conditions. 30 to 40 psi at highway speeds is pretty right. Ed.

David H likes this.
  19. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

20. Kevinthesyncro

Kevinthesyncro Member

Thanks everyone and thanks Ed,

This is what I have been chasing about oil pressure readings, now I feel confidant that changing the pressure switches, or following the wiring and checking circuit thing in the dash is where all my problems are and therein lies the fix!

Cheers all and thanks.