1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabana Caravans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Weekender, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

From time to time KCers ask about retro caravans and low weight caravans.
    Take a search of a Cabana caravan. They were built during the 70s and have a fiberglass pop top and fold out fiberglass end pods. The pod is "connected" to the pop top - as you pop the top, the pods go out.

And they only weight around 700kg. (perhaps the bigger ones get heavier)

Here are some on Gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cabana caravan/k0

they have a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/CabanaCaravan/

A colleague at work just sold one - which gave me a chance to look them over. I gave it some thought, but I have no where to put it.

I do think they would be a good pairing to a bay, with white fiberglass and the aluminum panels colour matched to the car! You could end up with the same year vintage.

2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Nice vans but in my opinion the weight is pushing the upper limits of what a Kombi should be towing. 700kg at 90kph on a hot day is only going to end one way. :(

Grantus likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Chris, and maybe an external oil cooler would help

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Look a bit boxy but then I am not a caravan man. You can 'feel' a small trailer behind a Kombi. How much do bondwoods weigh?

5. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo, I wasn't aware of these vans and quite like the design. Plenty of period correct options for the 77/78 bus too. Shame you couldn't borrow your colleagues van for a tow test. I reckon you bus would be OK, as long as you weren't trying to climb too many hills.

Cheers, Paul

PS I tow 400kg box laden trailer each Christmas hols to Byron and that is fine. Perhaps you could load 500 kg onto a 200kg box trailer and try it out.

Weekender likes this.
  6. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member